Plaster Mold Questions

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Sirgei, Jun 2, 2020.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

How do you plan on displaying your information in open source??? With or without video? Your friend and a fellow investor seems to not have your interest and development, or problem solving situations, at the forefront. It seems like a crapshoot development.

I'm not sure what your game changer is, and nobody else does. Fusion is a possible game changer. But now you're getting into supernova. How are you containing this? With hydrogen, heavy hydrogen or heavy water? I work at a university/college that piss's a way more money than you can ever dream of. If your experiment could fruitfully have any argument, my university college would play with it.

I would personally suggest you to take this to a nearby college/University, and work out a financial deal. From my personal experience.... they have million dollars of funding for spinning the wheels. This is why colleges and universities hold many patent rights. If you think you're really onto a scope of things revolutionary, you can write your own PhD thesis or just apply for a patent through the local patent office. You may have to hire a patent lawyer and apply it to China, UK, North America, Mexico, Canada, Germany, and Australia…

As you need to be so secretive about your development… I'm not sure if I can help you any further either! I can provide you with tons of testimonials and trials at different universities. But, I'm sure you've read all of them, with your research and development.

If you really want to test this development, go over to practical machinist forum... I will give you my full opinion there in the transformer electrical area. You might have to provide a little more details!, the guys there don't put up with crap. So you'll need to show up with a good video or demonstration without your partner being chickenshit.

I have only one personal question, how old are you? You can ask me the same question back, and I'll be 100% honest. I was born in 1975!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

I was born in 1982 in then USSR.
    I have moved to United Kingdom in July 2000
    But I am still a Russian and Russians do not give up easily

Everyone here have expressed their honest opinions about my venture.
    Some said it has a 0 chance of success. I agree it has little chance, but a chance none the less
    I might have to dump this venture, but not without giving it a good ty.
    So, I adjusted my plan of work based on the suggestions I received here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, Dear OMM don't take this as an offense, I do not believe in patents
    I have a friend in USA who promised to help with this item.
    However, the item in question would not display the result that friend wants.
    He wants an over-unity effect.
    Extra energy on top of the input.
    And what we got now is only a cold

Device takes 6 volts at 1Amp from the supply source and produces a cold effect of -20c and lower.
    But without any extra energy it would seem.
    My USA friend is not interested in a cheap fridge so we must work on.

To try to get the effect a bit higher - we need items I described here.
    Hence was the post.
    I will talk to my friend again and ask him if he would agree to let me send you a short clip of the temperature measurement.

However, I would then have to ask you for e-mail address to send it too as I don't wish to put it in here for now.

-----------------------------------------------

About university

A while ago I have tried to approach my local university to have them have a look at something else.
    For a second opinion.
    They wouldn't even talk to me as soon as they found out what it is about
    I was literally thrown out as ''crackpot''
    Unless something fully falls withing the rules of acceptable physics - they would not even touch it
    Or hear about it for that matter.

---------------------------------------------------------------

About Your PHD idea.

I am not that much of a write I must say
    All that I am researching has already been researched before, but then kinda lost

Here is the text for the item I mentioned:

https://tesla3.com/edwin-gray/

And this is for Tesla version:
    http://www.transformacomm.com/en/tech/tesla-hairpin-circuit.htm

Copper cylinders are needed to upgrade it from the Hair Pin version to Edwin Gray Version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm not sure what your game changer is, and nobody else does. Fusion is a possible game changer. But now you're getting into supernova. How are you containing this? With hydrogen, heavy hydrogen or heavy water? I work at a university/college that piss's a way more money than you can ever dream of. If your experiment could fruitfully have any argument, my university college would play with it"

Would you please clarify what exactly do You mean by ''containing this?''

Containing what exactly? This isn't a nuclear rector that needs heavy water.
    And no a fusion eighter. Hot or Cold.

Thank you for your reply

Yours Sincerely
    Sirgei Borisov

3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Sirgei, I don't think anyone has tried to put you off your venture, most of the replies were actually quite helpful in you achieving two copper cylinders. If you want to use those cylinders to prove the world is flat, que sara sera.

If we boil it down (I must be bored on lockdown for doing this):

Cast copper is likely going to absorb oxygen, bad
    Plaster (POP) isn't a proper investment material, bad
    Candle wax isn't a proper moulding wax and is highly burny, bad
    Even with proper investement you will need a proper burn out cycle, how
    You haven't yet tried to melt copper in a furnace that you don't yet have, when

Now if you are pi$$ed off because all the comments from me and others seem negative, step back, I think all of us here would like to see you with the two copper cylinders in a month or two from now, I've bodged my way through making stuff that shouldn't be done and I have absolutely no Russian in my bloodline! (That I know of, although the milkman looked a bit soviet so who knows)

OMM and Jason like this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Hell, it took me a few years from the idea of casting anything to the first finished bronze piece. I copied zaps idea for a jewelry box to keep the wife happy.

20170320_194751.jpg

dennis and Peedee like this.
  5. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

That is a lovely box :)
    But Bronze is a bit darkish for my taste.
    I like Brass more.
    I am dreaming about new celling light.
    Here in UK Brass ceiling lights are out of fashion

6. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

The amount of investment powder i found.
    But other type of wax I didn't find
    In the craft shop when it was open before lock down, was probably such wax
    At £19.99 per 500 gramm
    I am not able to spent thousands on the what you call proper ways.
    It is not that I don't want too to get everything that is properly required - it is affordability.
    So, if I am to start buying everything that is properly required - I will run out of money before I even start.
    So, I have 2 choices:
    1. Try with what I have
    2. Give up everything

I don't have a job. Due to my illnesses I live on benefit. And live in a consul house.
    I am sorry if you think I am not listening.
    I am and very carefully, but I must not forget about limit of my affordability
    I am making test mold this week and will show on photos :)

7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Have you built a furnace capable of copper yet?

8. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Buying ready made this week.
    3KG capacity

9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

What did you buy? Look forward to seeing it.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Bronze isn't any darker than brass. We turn it that color on purpose with chemicals. That's called patina.

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

You live in a council house on benefits and can't afford materials, I get that. You are ordering a pre-made furnace which will cost you how much? I don't get that!

Someone is pulling my plonker here! I'll keep playing until I get very bored (or banned)

dtsh, DavidF, OMM and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

13. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Twang! :eek:

I'm with Peedee on this one. If you're on a budget, consider building your own furnace.

Building a homemade copper-capable propane or waste oil fired ceramic fiber blanket and satanite furnace inside a repurposed scrap steel bucket is easier to build than it sounds and should cost only a fraction of what you will spend on a premade furnace.

There are many diy examples documented on this forum that you could copy if you choose. That's why we post them here! :D

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

Jeff even did a video on building one of these. It's super easy and pretty cheap too. Check out his YT channel.

15. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Furnace about £240
    mini-oven to dry molds fast £65
    Some other things.
    Up-to £400 total.
    If copper won't work aluminum should.
    I got soo much to do with aluminum
    Way more then copper

16. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

I tried this last year.
    That was first thing I tried.
    I used ca;galvanized steel bucket

I made tube with paper covered in scotch tape to set the dimensions of cavity.
    Used mix of 50/50 Plaster/sand
    After plaster have set, my tube was permanently stuck inside the plaster.
    I had to chisel it out to recover plaster.

This year I tried again with another bucket and the same mix.
    Used plastic pot to set into liquid plaster like on video
    Then when plaster set, I was trying to get bucket out but it was also stuck.
    After I got bucket out needed to drill the hole for the blow tube
    In all my neighbors here only 1 is more or less nice person.
    Asked him to help drill it.
    He asked for £20 for it. So, OK I agreed
    He drilled hole only in metal bucket bucket
    Said rest later. That was back in April.
    And you know what he done?
    He tried to chisel the hole in the plaster instead of drilling it and this cracked the whole thing
    So, I got 2 galvanized steel buckets ruined, a pile of Plaster/Sand mix and 0 furnace.
    My idea was to get it fired using coal and blower made from hair drier

After this I decided to buy ready made electrical one.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Plaster is not your friend.. PERIOD. The king of random was WRONG. Concrete is even worse!

18. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That plaster and sand recipe is notorious for failing during the furnace's first or second heat. There are much better examples here to copy.

Here is the build thread for my ceramic fiber blanket and satanite furnace, if you think it's worth a few minutes to look over it and reconsider buying premade:

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/another-lightweight-fiber-blanket-furnace.726/

Just for perspective:

I don't know exactly how much mine cost to build as I used mostly left over materials. But youtuber Mrhomescientist also has a furnace of similar construction to mine and his is also documented here. IIRC He paid $90 to diy his furnace lining and $300 to have a custom stainless steel furnace shell professionally fabricated to house the lining.
    ...My shell was a free well water pressure expansion tank.
    ...And my welding machine was only $200...
    I barely used it for my build and could have avoided needing it. I guess I will need it when my rusty old ugly scrap shell needs patching, but that won't be for years, or more likely never.

Here is an even cheaper recipe for a diy lining that is maybe a little more work, but actually does work and holds up a good long time, according to many hobbyists who have reported good results with it:

https://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/refractories.html

If you do go with premade, post a link to the furnace you're looking at, maybe someone here has experience with that brand that they can share. I think the premade electric furnaces are probably mostly pretty well made, but I don't really know much about them. Just be aware there are build threads and folks here that could help you through an electric diy build well...

Anyhow, whatever you choose, good luck.

Jeff

19. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I followed his example when I built mine, it's been a very reliable furnace and the cost was very good, I bought more materials than I needed, but even at that I was less than $300 into it, including crucible to have materials enough to build 3 or 4 similar furnaces.

Edit: Apprently thats not the thread I thought it was, but the design is the same. Ceramic fiber blanket with a satanite face.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  20. OMM

OMM Silver

And I am a Canuck. Remember...., I apologize if I've offended you. I apologize for everything I said that you took offence to. If you were my neighbour and lived in my neighbourhood and had a super interest in my after work projects, I would teach you everything I know. Some years I have over 300 students. Every year I get a lot of international students (or mature students) that want to contest with a two hour test. Most of them flunk it in the first 10 minutes. There's no free ride for experience. This is why old farts quickly give up on millennials. I'm not quite like that as I am an in between. I know the struggles. But with technology, I also know the ambition. Just last week I asked 18 students to read seven chapters before writing a test. I put it up as digital with almost all the answers and read from the book. An open book test. Six of the 18 read the digital copy. The six of the 18 all got over 90% on the test. It was an open book test that I could not Police because of COVID-19. I have a 70% pass rate.

Without google, define: this is my test to pass metallurgy.
    Brittle metals,
    Ductile metals,
    Elastic metals,
    Hard medals,
    Malleable medals,
    Tensile strength metals,
    Toughness metals,
    Four examples of non-ferrous metals,
    Three examples of smelting,
    What is the fastest way of processing metals into blooms, bullets or slabs?

My course doesn't stop here! Show me how to use a drill press lathe, milling machine, drill press, pedestal grinder, surface grinder, wire a motor, repair a pump, align a shaft, fix a hydraulic pump (and pressurize), Weld using pig, MIG, Arc, Oxy-acetylene, pneumatic control, lockout safety and fall understanding of all safety! The right to refuse work place practises. And WIMIS.

I am one of those safety Canucks with my students. But, they are about half your Age. Most of them still live at home and I am responsible for their well-being. Their parents, (and them as students) are looking for a safe work practices.

I would personally like you to educate yourself and build your own furnace....You could use this form as your stepping-stone. The gentleman here are real with good, real world help..≥... whether you believe it or not!

Most of what you're looking at is a vacuum process! I look forward to your ingenuity... And drive. Good luck with your endeavors.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020