Pondering correct foundry terminology

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Mark's castings, Oct 3, 2019.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Well generally I prefer that everyone just get along and focus on casting metal, but stuff happens sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Tobho Mott and OMM like this.
  2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I went over there this evening and read some of their casting threads just for shits and giggles. I didn't see anything too alarming. It would seem that they get some real knucklehead newbees over there once in awhile though. I think we're pretty fortunate in that regard. There's a lot of the normal foundry, forge, smelting terminology, or making ingots to scrap that gets promptly addressed and frequent suggestions to visit Alloyavenue which seems appropriate for a forging site even though they have some competent casters there. In some ways I think they're more patient than we are, but the scare factor is a bit high there. I can just hear the names Glumpy called them.
    Sorry, just having a little fun.

Pete

3. Jason

Jason Gold

"We cant be all just get along...." ????

4. OMM

OMM Silver

No offence to engineers or plumbers....

Question; where does shit go...

Put 100 engineers in a room to solve this. You will have 100 different answers!
    Put 100 plumbers in the same room answering the same thing. You will have one answer!

No one is wrong.

But, 99.9% of the plumbers answer downhill.

Answer; downhill!

In my opinion everybody is an engineer until they’ve actually dealt with the shit, hands on, like a plumber!

5. Jason

Jason Gold

lol... After 8 1/2 years in the air force, I know all about being on the bottom of the hill.:(

6. OMM

OMM Silver

I’m used to being at the middle of the hill (and given no credit). Engineers would come to me (and a dozen others) and pick my mind for builds and solutions. I picked and choosed.... I climbed the ladder. But there was heart ache! In my trade engineers were never wrong!, But neither was I!

I have worked so closely with engineers all my life, I have a like/hate relationship.
    Some engineers listen and some engineers dictate.

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

There is a broad spectrum of engineers, and architects too.
    I have worked with both for 33 years.

The joke is that if the design team represented the human body, then the architects would be the brain, and the engineers would be the snot.

I worked as a subcontractor under architects for 18 years, and while many of them have a lot of talent, they generally treat engineers like pond scum, or less.
    But the saying goes "nobody can mistreat you without your permission".

So when I started my own company in 2003, I stopped working for architects, and I go get my own projects directly from Owners/Clients.
    If I need an architect, I hire one, and he subcontracts under me, and I tell him how the project will go.
    And I take most of the money, and feed the architect table scraps.

Turn about is fair play, as they say.

I have met a few golden architects, and I am proud to know those folks; no finer people on the earth, but they are somewhat rare.

I have met some engineers with terrible personalities, and I would venture to say many engineers have difficulty dealing with normal people.
    Again I know of a few golden engineers who are really fine people, but in general I find many engineers to be specialized in very narrow fields, and they don't do well on the open-ended/open-scope projects that I get.

Much of the engineers personality traits are due to the fact that the ones that are registered have to stamp and sign their drawings, and what that means is that if something goes badly wrong, then they can basically hang the engineer.
    Engineering is as much about managing liability as it is about designing stuff.

In my line of engineering, I have to stake my career on many of the decisions I make, and it is a high-risk environment.
    Its like playing a pinball machine; the main objective is to avoid the "GAME OVER" light.

8. Having seen civil engineers trying to make architects ideas work, I do shake my head from time to time. An architect in my home town won an award for taking an existing hotel and restaurant and adding random, non functional structures to completely destroy the original Spanish New World style of the original structure: In the photo, all of the corrugated iron are new additions, including the awnings on top of awnings. the blue structures are also add-ons and have no function at all not even to hide plant and equipment rooms. There walkways to nowhere added and corrugated iron over the original wood shingles.... and someone got an award for this??.

24771429.jpg

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Architects and Engineers create societies that give themselves awards, because nobody else would, not even their own mother.
    Its a self-promotion thing, like in the movie industry.

I have seen some really vapid engineering designs get big awards.
    And everybody jumping on the "green" bandwagon, specifying stuff that can't be maintained, and stuff that does not last over time.

There is one major corporation that is taking all the solar cells off the roofs of all their buildings because the solar cells keep catching fire.

They built a visitor's center with a huge phallic symbol on top of what would have been a reasonable looking building.
    I mean what the flock? Its a monument to stupidity.
    And you can't even access the top for the view.
    There should be laws against these sort of buildings.

Visitors-Center.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Kings Cross new Eurostar terminal, a spiral stair case that led to a doorway 3 feet high. Designed by one of the most prominant architural practices in this country, installed by a contractor who just shrugged his shoulders and pointed back to the drawings he was working from..... nobody stopped because the drawings said....

11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Plumbers will also tell you that just because you flush it away, that doesn't mean you'll never see it again.

Pete

12. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I was a Plumber in the Navy, and regularly made Shit go Uphill... Vaccum Toilets !!!

V/r HT1

P.S. but in general, you are very much correct

13. That looks like a clock tower after the budget cuts removed the clock!.

My suburb has some half assed system of a holding tank for every two houses under the street that uses an electric pump to inject into a vacuum sewer line.

I was working as a painter at a very remote rural property when some idiot ignored the warning signs on the toilet door and took a dump and flushed it.... the other end of the pipe was in a trench while the plumber worked on connecting it to a septic tank. I've never seen a person levitate out of the trench at the sound of a toilet flushing before.

Jason likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold