Propane tank/fueled furnace build

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Shawno, Dec 27, 2020.

1. rocco

rocco Silver

Interesting, seeing as it's same manufacturer as Satanite.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It does appear to be very similar in composition but lower alumina and higher silica which probably explains the slightly lower max temp (3000F vs 3200F) but I bet it will perform very similar to Satanite. Do you have a data sheet for the castable?

On a related note for the US contingent, did Budget Casting Supply stop offering Satanite? I don't see it listed at their site any longer.

Best,
    Kelly

3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I think most people bought it from Hightemptools. Never heard Budget mentioned unless I missed a post on it.

4. Al2O3

Ahhh....just my sometimerz kickin' in....thanks Bonz

K

FishbonzWV likes this.
  5. Shawno

Shawno Copper

Attached

Attached Files:

6. Shawno

Shawno Copper

I picked up two bags of the Kastite yesterday. It is obvious that there are many ways to build a working furnace and I think most work with what they have access to. So as much as I found a supplier of a material like Satanite, I still need the insulation. But I also found a nice big bag of Perlite yesterday locally. So I think I would like to try my first furnace with the castable and perlite...I have it all already, and an 8" sonotube. Ratios I have read are 4:1 perlite to castable, but also, as Billy did, some just use all of the refractory so I would guess any ratio in between should be good....?

I would think, the more perlite, better insulation but harder to work with and weaker. Less insulation, easier to work with or even pour? Does that sound reasonable or have I misconstrued all of the reading I have been doing.

I do think the insulation and Satanite is the "better" way to go, but I would also guess there are more furnaces in my future cause I like building things. And a friend will want one....

Thoughts? Input?
    Thanks everyone
    Shawno

7. Al2O3

The Castable is just what it says, a general purpose castable. It has lower alumina content and consequently lower max service temp of 2600F, but should be fine for your stated purpose in post 1. But, it will not be a good candidate for iron duty or very high energy oil burner. It has higher water content so I suspect it will be easier to work with than some of the higher temp alumina content dense castables.

I would not recommend mixing perlite with your castable, at least not for the hot face. Why buy commercial castable refractory and then mix it with a low melting point insulation?

Perlite is a good insulator but sinters at 870c and has a relatively low melting point of 1200c /2192F. When it melts it turns to a greenish glass and is essentially flux in your refractory. There were many examples of this at the old AA forum. You'd be far better off with a decent ceramic fiber blanket but if that is not available to you, you could cast a thin hot face, say 1/2-1" thick, then do a second cast with a mix of high perlite content and castable for an insulating layer. You could also cast the mix first and the hot face last........or, just cast the hot face and use loose perlite behind it.

But, at some point in the future if you push temps up on your furnace, you could have localized melt down. FWIW, instead of perlite and castable, many have used rammed sand and clay as a low cost hot face backing.

Best,
    Kelly

8. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I would just use castable and try it out. Think you will find you dont need anything else, but if you feel like you do you can always go back and do a hot face coating. I over heated my brass and was probably close to cast iron temps with mine at less than two inches thick and the outside of the furnace didnt have any hot spots or glowing red spots. I doubt you will even get the outside of the tank hot at aluminum temps with 2" of castable.

9. Al2O3

Everything is relative Billy but not having any bright red spots on the outside of your furnace isn't a very high standard. Cherry red would be 1500F+ and carbon steel will begin to breakdown in air at those temps let alone coatings. Solid castable furnaces take time to heat soak and will generally increase in surface temp for some time before they come to equilibrium but that doesn't mean it's not hot inside.

I only run my electric at 1800-2000F internal temp for aluminum melts. It has 2" of ceramic fiber blanket and no matter how long I run it I can comfortably touch the outside metal jacket with my bare hand and the grey primer applied when I built it has been in place for years now. If you don't care about such things then it's a moot point. Foundry furnaces can be viewed more as draft horses than show ponies, but for only aluminum duty, you barely need a furnace at all. A couple spades from the ground, some charcoal with a hair dryer or propane torch, and $3 piece of fiber blanket over the top of the hole will do the job. Fill the hole when done.

For one-time aluminum melts I've seen people do it in their weber grills. One of them burnt a hole in his soup can crucible and got a nice permanent burn stain on his deck from the spill. LoL.

Best,
    Kelly

10. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Not sure but that sounds kind of condescending.

11. Al2O3

Wasn't meant to be and sorry if it came off that way. It's just my opinion and recommendation for anyone viewing the thread that has never built a furnace to aim for lower (than red hot) surface temps because it's easily achieved and ultimately means the furnace will be higher performing, safer for the operator, and last longer. -That's all.

Best,
    Kelly

dennis likes this.
  12. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Well alrighty then... I understand what you are saying but I think you missed the point I was making. I was double his temp with less than two inches of refractory and had no hot spots or issues...with nearly the same setup he is building.....meaning at aluminum temps he will be fine with two inches of refractory. He is having issues getting the materials that are so easy for us to get here is the only reason it was mentioned. He doesnt need to waste time waiting on hard to get items when what he has will work fine for what he is doing. Just trying to make his life easier and probably save him time and money.

13. Al2O3

I understand. I wasn't on that track. Earlier in the post Shawn had discussed a low mass, coated, ceramic fiber furnace and with bringing Perlite into the discussion, seemed he was pretty interested in building a well insulated furnace.....just not a big fan of Perlite in high temp regions for reasons stated. I think low mass furnaces have a lot of merit for hobby furnaces, especially propane fueled, because typical hobbyists have single melt or short casting sessions. With a solid refractory furnace you spend more fuel/money raising the temp of the furnace than melting metal. If you have an unlimited source of free fuel and a high energy oil burner it doesn't matter much except for time to heat.

Best,
    Kelly

Billy Elmore likes this.
  14. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Solid castable refractory is definitely less effecient than wool and a coating....unless you are doing multiple melts in succession in which the solid refractory will hold higher temp much longer reducing the time of the following melt considerably. That comes in pretty handy if you only have a few flask or jackets to pour with and are making multiple castings. I think most people usually just do one melt at a time. I did four the other day and each time the melts came quicker and quicker...hence the reason I over heated the brass and probably reached cast iron temps while making new molds to pour..apparently I mold much too slowly.LOL

15. Al2O3

....and they are durable.

Best,
    K

16. Shawno

Shawno Copper

Yes Kelly, that is the direction I was leaning for sure cause I think that is the best way, given materials availability. but, as I am finding some stuff locally, and learning a little more, I am starting to compromise a bit (or getting a bit impatient to start building. ..:) ), I am changing my plans a bit. Sorry for confusing those trying to follow my zig zag thought processes...welcome to my Wife's world.... ;)

I read somewhere that the perlite melts, leaving air pockets, which work as insulation so I thought this process would be a second choice compared to the satanite/ceramic insulation method. Hard to keep all this information straight.

In one of your other posts, you suggest an outer wall of the perlite/refractory mix with an inner hot face. I am really liking this! I think I would pour the outer insulating about 1 1/2", then line it with about a 1/2" solid refractory casing. Does that sound reasonable? Would I have any separating concerns/dramatic cracking with the two different compositions abutting each other? I read that it all cracks a bit so those are ok. Falling into the middle might not be so good. I would be fine with Billy's style too, but I think the perlite improves it a bit by adding an insulation factor. No offense Billy.

I checked steel stock and plans so can start building the cart/furnace stand at least. Won't be mixing refractory for a while yet. Need to build version 2 of the burner too.

Thanks all

Shawno

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  17. Al2O3

Yes, I think so with the caveat being the ratio of Perlite you choose and how well it mixes with your refractory. I'd suggest you try a small batch to get the feel for it and see how it does.

I say so because refractory can be strange stuff if you've never worked with it. I'm not familiar with your particular brand but it has a little higher water content than most which seems good for workability but most refractory will have aggregate and when mixed is like dry concrete instead of a creamy mortar. Ideally you'd like the Perlite to coat and bond but sort of depends on the mix ratio. You just need to experiment a little to make sure you can get it adequately mixed without breaking down the Perlite and I don't know how/if the Perlite may attract water from the refractory and potentially affect the cure. It may be one of those things where you need to mix it by feel. Might also be wise to mix the refractory first at the recommended water addition, then add Perlite and additional water only if needed.

I've read threads where people have used ploystyrene beads for that but not sure about melting out Perlite. Polystyrene is so buoyant it's hard to keep it in suspension and not damage it in mixing.

As far as refractory materials in general, they typically start breaking down well before their melt point so melt and max service temp are two very different things. When materials melt, they can become flux, act like solvents, and attack and reduce the melting point of other materials that would ordinarily be fine at those temps. This is known as fluxing, thus my comments about Perlite.

In a furnace the temperature decreases across the wall as you move from the hot face to the outer surface, thus the suggestion to separate Perlite from the hot face. With 2600F refractory and melting aluminum, I don't think any of this will come into play, but at some point down the road if you push the operating temp it could. -Happy casting.

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. Shawno

Shawno Copper

Well, I figure I can't do anything with what ever refractory/insulation recipe I go with until I have a place to put it so I might as well work on the furnace housing/cart. Made pretty good progress the last couple of days, I think. I am trying to use up stock I have rather than go buy more stuff....need to make room. So far, all good.

Tomorrow, I will make the hole for the vent (currently just the old valve fitting ). From the Metal Casting book, it suggests 2.5". And the drain hole about 3/4" so I will need to make the vent hole bigger and the drain hole that I have, smaller. Then I will get back to the burner experiments so I can decide the size of the tuyere and lay it out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Billy Elmore likes this.
  19. Al2O3

Fab work looks good so far Shawno.

Best,
    K

20. Shawno

Shawno Copper

Back to experimenting with burners today.... I made up a spread sheet to consolidate (Organize? Simplify?) the data I have been reading. Or, actually, chart the ratios data below, quoted from the book referenced. The #57 drill bit suggested by Zapins is a .043 bit and according to the data in the Metal Casting pdf common on line (and the sticky of this forum), it should work with the 3/4" pipe. Off to test the theory. And make burner version 2 :)

Nominal pipe Actual id Venturi min Venturi max Orifice min Orifice max Burner length Flare length
    Half inch 0.642 0.899 1.091 0.021 0.032 6.420 0.963
    3 quarter inch 0.85 1.190 1.445 0.028 0.043 8.500 1.275
    One inch * 1 1.400 1.700 0.033 0.050 10.000 1.500
    1&1 half inch * 1.5 2.100 2.550 0.050 0.075 15.000 2.250
    * not yet measured precisely

Apparently, the nice columns I had do not work in a paste ...sorry. It looks kind of jumbled...I can attach the spreadsheet if anyone is interested.

"The burner detailed here has a bore of 1/2” (nominal), and a practical output between
    approximately 7,000 and 74,000 BTU/hr. This design can be scaled up or down as needed,
    as long as the proportions between the various parts are kept roughly the same. Here are
    some rough ratios in the sizes of the components:
    The venturi inside diameter (ID) should be from 1.4 to 1.7 times the burner ID.
    The burner ID should be 20 to 30 times the orifice diameter.
    The burner tube should be roughly 10 times as long as its ID.
    The flare length should be about 1.5 times as long as the ID." (Reference “The Hobbyists Guide to Casting Metal” )

From experience, do burners, generally, fall within these parameters?