Propane Upgrade

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by John Homer, May 10, 2021.

1. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I just did an upgrade from a 20LB propane tank to a 100 gallon tank. Was wondering what's the recommended way to hook it up to my furnace? I will be using a high pressure gauge. Any ideas are appreciated. Send a picture if possible.

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

What do you mean how to hook the regulator to furnace? A hose? Unsure what you're asking. The burner?

3. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Sorry. Kind of a crazy question. Basically I want to use a quick connect type system of some sort to the furnace from the tank. What parts and pieces will I need? Is there a place to purchase a kit for this? My propane company said they couldn't help me because it's my own tank...

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

My local hardware store sells propane rated quick connect fittings FWIW, but I have only worked with the 20lb bbq tanks so I'm out of my depth here a little.

Jeff

John Homer likes this.
  5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm I haven't used quick disconnects for propane before. I just use the NPT thread stuff since propane doesn't need to be switched quickly usually. Why do you want the quick connects? I'm betting it wont be so hard to use the quick connects though.

John Homer likes this.
  6. rocco

rocco Silver

Are you thinking of something like this? If so, google "propane quick connect" and you'll find several suppliers. Make sure the unit you choose is rated for the pressure you plan to run, most of the ones you'll find are intended for low pressure applications like barbecues which usually operate at less one psi.

Quick connect.jpg

John Homer likes this.
  7. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I want to use the quick disconnects in order to disconnect my propane from my burner and tuck it away for storage

8. I have a 20 gallon tank about 15 ft downhill from my furnace and I have 20 ft of hose. I use a 30 psi regulator and keep it at 30 psi. 1/2" hose and 3/8" quick disconnects. Everything works well. I only run about 10 psi at my burner. I've used it for about four years and no problems. I have a shutoff valve on the burner end to keep air out and just coil up the hose. I bring the hose in as well as the burner. The plug they supply with the quick disconnect is hard to get in and out and won't really keep things clean so I've resorted to putting a plastic glove over the disconnect on the tank to keep moisture and dirt out. I can stretch a finger over the disconnect and it stay on good. Each finger only lasts a month or so so I use a couple of gloves per year.

The quick disconnects look like they would hold a lot of pressure but I only soap tested them on 170 psi which was where my air tank was the day I tested.

John Homer likes this.
  9. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Thanks for the information. I have a 100 gallon tank I am trying to use in place of the 20 gal bbq type. I will be using a lot of propane. Do you think your setup will work on a bigger tank?

10. Hah! Major typo. I have a 200 gallon tank.

First time I used it, testing my new burner.

Jason and John Homer like this.
  11. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Laughing...ok then. This is what I would like to do. Can you send me pictures and type of what regulator you use with your fittings? Thanks for the help. My local propane company refused to help me because they said it was a liability if they did so any help is appreciated thanks.

12. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Great Thanks appreciate the help.

13. Here's what I have. I lied about the regulator. It's 15 psi and I keep it cranked up to 15. I got it from my propane supplier. He gave it to me, said no one ever wanted it. I was standing there ready to pay but you know what they say about checking a free prostitute's teeth.

Glover over the quick disconnect.

IMG_4455.JPG

All brass or bronze fittings and nipples. 1/4" regulator, 1/4" nipple, 3/8"x1/4" reducer, 1/2"x3/8" reducer, 1/2" ball valve, 1/2"x3/8" reducer, 3/8" nipple, 3/8"quick disconnect.
    IMG_4456.JPG

John Homer likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

No, please tell us!

15. Don't bother checking the teeth as they're usually at room temperature in a ditch by the roadside?.:oops:

That regulator looks like the high volume ones the pottery crowd use for kilns.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    John Homer likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

17. Where else would you find a free prostitute....sheesh!!....OK OK I'd better quit now before good taste spontaneously bursts into flames.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  18. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Mark here I thought you got the one about a free horse mixed up. (I wasn't judging to each their own kink) but wow....I was so wrong!

19. Don't look a gift whore in the mouth.:cool:

20. You got something against room temperature girlfriends?

John Homer likes this.