Question about Aluminium bronze jewelry

Discussion in 'Castings, finishing/ repair/ and patina's' started by Xellish, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Xellish

Xellish Copper

Hello, long time no see.

I'm getting into casting aluminium bronze again, and I was wondering if I could make jewelry out of it.
    I know that copper can stain skin and clothing when exposed to sweat, but is AlCu a safe alloy for this?
    Also, the question I always have when I'm mixing metals: Does the low melting point metal go in first or last?

I will use scrap metals for this project, so some impurities are to be expected.

Bonus question: which homemade AlCu (no other metals) alloy is the closest in colour to gold?

2. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

You'd be surprised at how large of a market there is for copper rings and bracelets. Some people swear wearing copper helps with their arthritis..
    I've some nice yellow brass I've been thinking of casting. Good color but smokes a lot when melted. Will add enough pure tin pellets to cut the zinc content to estimated 10%.. I've been reading that the addition of tin will help keep the metal from losing zinc content. Maybe color. we'll see. I'll be adding the tin when the brass begins to liquefy and smokes..
    I've a small broken arm Kerr casting machine.. The crucible will hold and cast 6 ozs of sterling silver... For such a small machine, it will still cast a 4"x6" flask. Just barley.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  3. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

4. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

adding tin will not reduce zinc loss until you get closer to 4% Zn , want to reduce Zn loss MELT FASTER ,
    , But as your Sn/Zn ratio gets closer to 1/1 you will get a pink/red alloy rather then yellow, Basically you are making Red brass/tin bronze, not yellow brass, the specifics gets really messy depending on what trace elements you have involved,
    but the simple fact Zn boils at 1,665°F or 907°C so once you get to that point you will start to loose Zn, as a I said the faster you get from there to your pouring temp the better, also limiting the surface area exposed to air the better( so think of a cover like crushed glass) I dont consider it because it causes crucible wear, a crucible lid might be helpful . but your best bet is to ignore it, or plunge makeup zinc just before pouring or add excess Zn to the bottom of your melt in the very beginning, my normal practice ,

V/r HT1

5. Xellish

Xellish Copper

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

While that is a quote , its not totally true, it would be a simple Melt , if you can source pure aluminum, everything else is easy to get and melting and casting would be QED, it will Dross, so cast it like a Tin Bronze and it will be fine

V/r HT1

P.S. I have to wonder how close this is to Nordic gold?
    https://www.belmontmetals.com/product/art-casters-brass/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  7. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

8. Xellish

Xellish Copper

Where might I find pure Al? Getting good metals is pretty hard in Denmark, so I get my metal from scrapyards.

P.S. I have to wonder how close this is to Nordic gold?
    https://www.belmontmetals.com/product/art-casters-brass/

I wonder to. It would be nice to be able to make jewelry with it, but I found a forum where a person who sourced AlCu for it caused peoples fingers to turn green XD

Man, Big stack loves crucibles. Thanks for the video.

I actually found another video with a (polish?) caster: