Radio Control/Foot Pedal Foundry Hoist Prototype

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Melterskelter, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I have a wireless control for both my lift-off furnaces. I never use it. I just use the toggle switch on the rig. The wireless unit was designed for controlling linear actuator and was cheaper than me buying relays and switches to do the same so the wireless feature was free. If the electric apparatus should fail (it never has), I'd just pull a clevis pin and since it's counterbalanced, it can be easily actuated by hand. Here's a video I did some time ago on the larger lift off rig.

It's not lifting molten metal but I actually am considering using an electric hoist to lift a shank with an A60 full of aluminum. The hoist would be on an overhead gantry. It will probably just be tethered rather than wireless. I need to lift the A60 from just above ground height to a pouring height of about 4ft. The weight shank, crucible and metal about 135lbs. Don't have a mechanical option in the event of failure for that other than pouring it in ingot molds or sand box..........which works for me.

Not sure how we got on the subject of selling such things.....that's not for me either but certainly comfortable with my own use.

Best,
    Kelly

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

BTW, if someone lacks the common sense to know not to use my setup for hot metal, I really hope they will post a video so we can have a pool based on how long it lasts and which part cooks off first. My guess would be the nylon webbing would be the first to go, followed by the lipo battery (the battery would be fun to watch) about the same time the receiver for the servo should start falling in blobs of burning plastic and then the drill battery would light up the night and finally the drill case would start dripping. Now that would be an interesting video! Looking forward to it. ;)

Denis

3. rocco

rocco Silver

Good question, I'm not sure. Aviation is a highly regulated field, any piece of navigation or weather equipment goes through multiple layers of testing before it's accredited for use and put into service which I would think dilutes but does not eliminate liability. BTW, shortly after the incident, a nation-wide bulletin was issued highlighting the system's vulnerabilities under certain weather conditions and establishing set procedures to be followed when a problem is detected. At the time, that system, in one form or another, had been in service nation-wide for decades and was proven to be reliable except under certain fairly unusual circumstances, in the ten+ years I used the system, problems occurred only 2 or 3 times and self-resolved in a few hours. The system has since been replaced, the new system is very good however it's not completely free of vulnerabilities so it still requires the users to exercise good judgement.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  4. Melterskelter

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

5. Melterskelter

Kelly,

What sort of battery did you chose? Maybe a 12v motorcycle battery? Lipo? And the motor is what wattage and uses a reduction gear? Stepper? Perhaps the details on the control unit might also be of interest. That looks like a very nicely thought out and executed lift system.

Denis

6. Al2O3

Just ordinary sealed lead acid off eBay or Amazon. 12vdc. I want to say it was about $25 and 12AH/20 but the battery is about 4x4x6". It will run the furnace lift for weeks. Overkill but amp-hrs were cheap.

Ordinary 12vdc brush motor. 30" stroke, 100lbf, 2.8"/sec version linear actuator at link below. Wow, prices have really gone up. When I bought several years ago it was $128 delivered. Same unit available in 400lbf at slower speed. A bit spendy but pretty easy to package for what it is. They have built in limit switches on each end of travel so no worry about dead heading. I have adjustable limit switches on the furnace lift.

https://www.progressiveautomations.com/products/linear-actuator-ip66?variant=18277292998723

eBay special straight from China. Could not find the exact one I purchased but very similar available if you search eBay or Amazon for "12v wireless controller linear actuator". Mine were $16 at the time. Looks like $20-$25 now. I was partial to the ones I purchased because they had both a jog and latch button for each direction. Nearest I could find with those features was $30. They greatly simply wiring with limit switches.

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-W...&sr=8-8&swrs=AF5B754DFF2FAA8BDA238ACC35626D8C

Thanks MS. It has worked well without fail. Half way down this post at AA are all the gory details of the install on my smaller (primary use) furnace aka Battle Star Gallactica...LoL

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showt...nace-Build-Log&p=187793&viewfull=1#post187793

Best,
    Kelly

7. Melterskelter

I buried a couple responses within this quote.

Thanks for the details, Kelly. Linear actuators, wireless devices, pulse width modulators and DC motors, servos, etc. have so many potential uses in the foundry to make life easier or even to make things possible that would be out of reach if attempted by hand.

Denis

Petee716 likes this.
  8. Al2O3

Truth be told, when I started my original furnace build the lift mechanism was always intended to be purely mechanical thus the counterbalance system. It was completely neutral balance even with my large furnace mounted in place. The actuator was an after thought because it was so easy to add.

For sure....and many ways to get there. For foundry equipment, mechanical equipment with fewer moving parts is probably the right bias but in a one man home foundry sometimes ya-need some help.

Best,
    Kelly

9. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Awesome thread! I am an RC Airplane enthusiast so I got a real joy seeing you combine the two!

10. Melterskelter

Thank you, Billy. I have been using it now for 6 weeks or so and it has proven to be reliable and very convenient. It is so much handier and smoother than using a chain fall hoist. I never want to go back to a system that does not allow me to have both hands free.

Denis

Billy Elmore likes this.
  11. Melterskelter

Just a little follow up. The hoist has been used many many times by now and continues to behave itself. I really like the variable speed and the foot control. Having both hands free has proven very valuable and it’s smooth lift action quite handy. The last couple days I’ve been using it on a 450 pound flask/mold. I always use the drill motor switched to “ low gear.” It did not slow significantly or complain with that load. What it’s actual limit is I don’t know. FWIW.

Denis

12. Melterskelter

I made a couple of small upgrades to the foot control which I wish I had made from the start

First, I added a "Push-on/Push-off" switch to the top of the wood cabinet of the foot control in a location that is convenient. This makes it no longer necessary to bend down and push the button in the control unit housing. This is a small change, but in a molding session I found myself turning the unit on and off many times in order to conserve battery life. Being able to just use my foot to turn it on or off is a really sweet upgrade.

The second change was to add a pilot light to the power circuit so that I could tell at a glance whether the power was on or off. The way the control unit was designed, the display screen goes dark a few seconds after you turn on the power. Then, to see if it is under power, it was necessary to roll the selector switch which would momentarily light the display screen if the power was on. But, I bought a very cheap LED setup for a 6 volt circuit and added it to the power circuit as well. The LED only draws 15 milliamps. Now that the LED is in the loop, it shines very brightly when powered. NO more guessing and I am much less likely to leave for home having forgotten to turn off the power to the control unit. The servo in the lift has its own (fairly dim) LED which I will likely upgrade soon just so it is easier to see.

You can see the red dot of the LED just below and to the right of the end of the control unit and the added button is the silver button below and on the midline of the control unit.
    [​IMG]

The LED is on here but did not photograph well. Better seen is its reflection in the end of the control unit case---the red spot.
    [​IMG]

In my eyes, this was a very simple and worthwhile improvement.

Denis

Attached Files:

Tobho Mott likes this.
  13. Melterskelter

An update on the foot control. Since I installed it in March of 2020 the control has been in continuous use. It has served my need for hands-free hoist operation very nicely. I did have to replace the RC transmitter once as the original failed a couple months ago. The transmitter uses 12V DC power which I have supplied first with 8 AA batteries (short life span), then a lipo battery—-mich better life but somewhat a nuisance to remove, charge, and reinstall, and most recently using a small 12V the purpose sealed battery with flat tabs. The 12v battery is convenient as I made a couple of lugs on the box to which a charger can be attached without removing the battery from the control—-a convenience factor I really like.

The battery is securely mounted in a PETG box I printed for the purpose. IMG_9870(16).JPG IMG_9869.JPG Battery Box1.JPG

Here are the charging terminals located under the foot pedal out of the way. I printed terminal covers to prevent shorting across the 5/16" brass bolts that serve as terminals. To my surprise, the threads printed as part of the covers threaded right onto the bolts. The accuracy of the printer continues to amaze me.

Battery Biox4.JPG

Here is a view with one cover removed and also shown are some foot pads that were printed and screwed to the bottom of the control.
    Battery Biox5.JPG

Denis

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Tobho Mott and Petee716 like this.
  14. Melterskelter

Here are a couple more pics of the underside of the foot control box showing the batterybox in place. I thought some about putting a door over the opening in the wood box, but decided to leave it open as whatever sand works its way into the box can also work its way out if there is no door.

Here you can see the underside of the two terminal with their 12 ga wires soldered into centered holes. The terminals are just to the left of center and in the center up and down of the photo.
    Battery Box6.JPG

The entire underside of the box with feet in place and battery box in place. Yes, the outer wood box leads a hard life on the foundry floor getting slid around through sand, things dropped on it, etc. It no longer looks bright and fresh. But it keeps on plugging along. (Hmmm, sounds something like ME!)
    Battery Box7.JPG

Kind of whimsical, but I like the 12-Volt Badge.
    12 Volt Badge.JPG

Denis

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    Andrew Marquardt likes this.
  15. Melterskelter

And another update to the foot pedal saga.
    That little push on push off switch that I added recently has worked well for about a year. However, it operates in the filthiest possible environment and gets molding sand ground into it by my foot pushing the button on and off repeatedly.. Not surprisingly, it has failed. recently. I wanted to make some sort of protection for the switch or buy a suitable switch for use in harsh environments. I searched around for such a switch online, but really did not come up with anything that would actually fit the space and offer adequate protection. So I decided to make some parts using 3D printing and cab drawing. Here are some images of those parts.

First a CAD section view: 1/8" neoprene diaphragm is sandwiched in the gap shown. A 1/4-20 screw pinches the two smaller central piece together and #6 wood screws pull the ring down onto the thicker bushing and that bushing seals to the box with silicone.
    upload_2023-12-31_8-52-6.png

The overview with the bushing in place
    upload_2023-12-31_8-56-2.png

Next Diaphragm
    upload_2023-12-31_8-57-2.png

Center button without screw
    upload_2023-12-31_8-58-14.png

Pilot light on and fixing ring placed but not screws
    upload_2023-12-31_8-59-14.png

I think this should be fairly bullet-proof. I will update sometime down the road.

Overall, the foot pedal has become an essential part of my molding operation. When/if it fails, it is a major inconvenience.

Denis

Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  16. Melterskelter

And I put it to use this morning. I looked down and this is what I saw---pretty normal environment for it I'm afraid.
    upload_2023-12-31_11-44-15.png

Denis

Tops likes this.