Reuasbale Offset Pouring Basin

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Kelly,

The above is some really good and essential information. I don't think it in the "Links to Various Suppliers" forum. Though the hot links may not last for a long time, they would give clues to the what sort of products are out there and where to search for them. Including pics of the products would be long-lsting and helpful if included in your post. Any comments from you provided as tips for better use would be really great. (Sorry to load you up, but "with knowledge comes responsibility" :cool:)

Denis

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  2. Robert

Robert Silver

That's one expensive pouring cup! I have some Kastolite 30 Li that is not very dense. I wonder how that would do?

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

When I bought it was $40/gal, now it's double that, at least from that source, and yah the tube price is pretty silly. In fact I think I paid $180 for 5gal when I built my low mass furnace with it. For one of those tubes and 12x24x.5 board you could probably build 4 or 5 cups.

You can try but me thinks same result.

Best,
    Kelly

Robert likes this.
  4. Al2O3

It's the same problem hobbyist always have with buying professional materials......convenience factor (especially online) and large unit cost for small quantity buy when the product is more typically sold in >5 gallon buckets to foundries. I still have 3" left in the 5 gallon bucket I bought for my furnace build, so my unit cost is low. I get/got mine from my local refractory products supplier but that wont work for anyone else. They carry the Harbison Walker product which is branded Inswool, but there are many brands. It's all ceramic fiber suspended in Alumina-Silcate goo. I'd recommend anyone else look for local supplier and save that, search moldable ceramic fiber. Personally I wouldn't be without it.

I've seen it referred to as pumpable, glue, moldable, paste, putty, and mastic. The only difference is viscosity. The thinner stuff is good for glue and the thicker for hand molding/placement.

Here's a tube for $20.

Inswool Pumpable Caulk (clay-planet.com)

Best,
    Kelly

5. Al2O3

Thinking about this, if you wanted to try an offset lost foam pouring cup with no out of pocket cost, I mentioned sodium silicate, but you might be able to make a simple core box and mold one or a couple out of green sand or petrobond. It would not be reusable but you might even be able to recover the bound sand and reuse it.

For me they were essentially free since I had the stuff left over after making the purchase for the furnace build, but it's great to have for maintenance and high temp sealing. When purchased in qty, the unit cost for a cup is quite low, maybe $5 depending upon size but of course that assumes you have use for the rest of the material. When you consider with care and occassional maintenace, you can get several hundred of pours out of a cup the recurring cost per pour is quite low.

I remarked on it's properties earlier in the thread. Completely non-wetting, high service temp, impervious to thermal shock, highly insulating, relatively easy to work with and store, but it does require occassional mainetnace, and need to be fired before use, albiet a uncontrolled temp shedule. I haven't found another material quite like it.

I bought my material 4 years ago. Some of these products say they have a shelf life. Mine hase been stored in the sealed 5-gal bucket of purcahse and performs the same as the day I bought it. It's a shame that like everything else prices have doubled since. Even the ceramic fiber board. At that same time you could buy a 12 x 12 x .5" board delivered for $15......sighh.

I wouldn't bang on about it so much, but I was surprised by their performance and how they positively contributed to my results. When you want professional results, sometimes there aren't good hobby substitutes for pro materials.....but they wont fix poor casting design, molten metal mangement, or technique.

If anyone does decide to make reusable moldabe ceramic fiber (MCF) version, there are a few must haves and must dos.
    1. They must have draft - I chose 5 degrees
    2. They must have a wier and better if one of the more proven shapes
    3. The inside corners must be filleted to prevent metal penetrating the crevaces....it prevents damaging the cup when the residual foil skin is removed afterward.
    4. They must have a metal lifting cradle you can grab with pliers to remove and dump them after the pour.
    5. If you use a combo of board and MCF, you must coat the friable cut board surfaces with MCF.
    6. 2300F ceramic fiber board works fine but 2600F rated is better, not that you need the temp, but because it's denser and more durable, albiaet harder tofind and more expensive.
    7. ....and of course, you must remember to pull and dump the cup immediately after the pour while the metal is still molten.
    Best,
    Kelly

6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Having used sodium silicate a lot for various cores in iron casting and some aluminum casting, I am confident that, as Kelly suggested, a silicate cup used for aluminum would last for several uses and would be very easy to make.

Denis

7. Al2O3

Especially if you use a little more SS than you normally would for a core........and perhaps fine sand.

Best,
    Kelly

Melterskelter likes this.
  8. Robert

Robert Silver

I made a pouring basin out of Kastolite ('cause that's what I had) and coated it with ITC 100. It is very light and does not seem like it would be a big heat sink.
    IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

The air bubbles are not great. I will test this out. I wish I went with a square port but I can probably change it if I like this in use.
    R

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  9. Al2O3

Looks the part. Did you fire it?

Best,
    Kelly

10. Robert

Robert Silver

Yes. Fired twice. One for the castable and then again for the ITC 100. I may try to fill in some of the bubbles with furnace cement or ITC. I need to make a metal lifter for it. For testing I may just wrap some wire around it.

11. Robert

Robert Silver

I just realized this has a crack in it after firing. It's not too bad and I think it will stay together for multiple pours. I also wrapped the whole thing with a wire band so I could add a handle. That will help.

12. Lifan V Twin

Lifan V Twin Copper

Would this work with fire cement for chimney/oven repair? I am thinking about coating a foam pouring basin pattern in a layer and then adding a fibrous layer and then another layer of the fire cement. .
    Over in NZ we aren't spoiled for choice with this kind of stuff, I can order in large quantities but i would like to avoid that.

40308077-bbbf-4bab-a7d0-6fe0766dceab.jpeg

Thanks

Jonny

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  13. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

I've been buying ceramic fiber products from this place for most of the time I've been using them. 7-8 years.
    Search (mcgillswarehouse.com
    edit: sorry they seem to be sold out of the board. they do restock when they're sold out, maybe not fast, but eventually.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  14. Al2O3

Not familiar with it. What is the density? If you have sodium silicate (water glass), you can use that as a binder for plain sand and cure with CO2.

Lindseed oil was a common core binder mixed with sand, then baked. I've never used it but if good enough for cores should be ok for cup?

If the foam is just a plug to form the shape, that's fine but remove it (burn out) and whatever material used, fire it to well above the pouring temp to make sure it doesn't offgas during th epour. Even so it can be hard to keep some materials from breaking due to thermal shock.

As I mentioned in your other post, low mass and low conductivity so it doesn't steal heat from the melt. The test pour you mentioned would be worth it just to test your cup.

Best,
    Kelly

15. Lifan V Twin

Lifan V Twin Copper

I’ve found some sodium silicate and it’s fairly cheap, I also have a bottle of co2 for the mig welder. . What kind of ratios are ideal to mix?

Thanks again, I’m asking a lot of questions, but I definitely want to come up with a consistent way to pour to avoid failures as I want to do a lot more of this in the future.

16. Al2O3

It can/will depend on the grade of SS and mesh size of your sand, but the criticality of this is to achieve core strength that is strong enough to hold its shape under heat, yet still shake out and not be a rock hard core that can't be removed from the casting. For your purposes, rock hard is better so dont be afraid to be on the high side of SS content.

For RU grade SS, 4-5% by weight but if you have more dilute SS, it could be double that. Make a small sample. Cure it with CO2 and use a lance you can penetrate the sand with. Some modest low temp (100-150C) baking may be helpful to get full cure, but if you use a foam plug you will need to burn that out at higher temp. The foam will only reliably stand about 130-140F. After the sand is hard it doesnt matter.

Here's a thread but if you search the forum you will find more. You can ignore the stuff about adding sugar or sea coal. The former is to weaken the core and latter to make it more compatible with iron.

Sodium Silicate RU for core making in cast iron molding. | The Home Foundry

Best,
    Kelly

17. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Here's my first pouring cup. Made with epoxy bound sand which was really nasty on burn out and probably not the smartest thing to use. After the first whiff I was careful to stay away from it. I would heat it on top of the furnace until it was smoking then cool down and do it again several times until it stopped smoking. Coated with Satanite and used it. It would crack but not leak so I just re-coated it before use. Then wrapped it in Stainless wire and haven't used it since.

IMG_5520.jpg

My latest one is wool coated with Satanite. Mixed the mortar broth like and poured it on the wool then pressed the wool into a plastic tub. Painted a thicker coating on the inside and used a plumbers torch to cure it. Popped it out of the mould, painted the outside and cured it. Added a couple more layers to stiffen it up. Haven't used it yet.

IMG_5521.jpg

I don't think you can get Satanite there in small quantities but Metallabs uses Cement Fondu as a coating on his furnace and it seems to have similar properties. Can be bought in small tubs.

18. Al2O3

I took a spin back through this thread from the beginning. It's worth doing for anyone that is a serious lost foam caster and considering making a pouring cup. The thread starts four years ago and I was still using mud as my coating (not that there's anything wrong with that) instead of the commercial refractory coating I've been using since. The most important aspects of the cup are the shape and the material and I am still amazed at their contribution to (my) process improvement.

Shape: I recommend the square shaped ones with square sprues. It must have a wier. The square basin and square sprue will be less prone to aspirating air, and along with the weir they do their job extremely well. Square sprues are very easy to make and work better than round ones. They can be easily tapered too.

Material: It's key to cups being reusable. You just can't beat the moldable ceramic fiber/pumpable ceramic fiber (MCF) or combos of that with ceramic fiber board (CFB). It's totally non-wetted by aluminum, highly insulating so it robs no heat from your melt, is impervious to thermal shock, and indefinitely repairable. It is spendy, but I built four cups four years ago and am still using them with somewhere between 100-200 pours across the lot......not much cost per pour and the cost/pour is only going down with time.

Not sure I can say it better than this 12 minute video back in post 42 re-posted here for convenience.

But, depending on how often you cast and the nature of what you cast, reuse may not be as important to you, material availability and its cost may not be as justifiable, and alternative (on-hand) materials seem to be the direction this thread is heading.

Having already invetsed the time to make mine, I'll just opine from the gallery in case it's of use.

In that regard, I'd suggest keeping any alternative material's density low, and insulating properties as high as possible so it doesn't rob heat from the melt, and of course be relatively easy to make. I dont think there is a less expensive material that does that than sand and binder, and probably sodium silicate. I say this because sand is cheap, and fairly insulating.....now more or less so than the rest of the mold. Sodium silicate is inexpensive and can be almost instantly cured and making a cup is no more effort than making a core for a mold. If you made a decent cup mold with a good cup design, you could probably make them a handful at a time in a few minutes. It's also possible with elevated amounts of SS, they could be durable enough to be resued some number of times, but you would still need a lifting cradle and you'd probably need to accept they would have an aluminum skin that builds up over time and degrades performance.

Making a SS core certainly seems to be within the practical reach of most hobby casters.

If you made a good cup mold with thick enough walls, it's possible a one-use cup could be green sand.

It's really a matter of what it's worth to you. If you have a few minutes into pattern construction, you're not out much if it fails. However, if you have a few hours or days into the pattern......

Best,
    Kelly