Riddles

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by ESC, Feb 18, 2021.

1. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I know there was a thread in this subject not too long ago, but I grabbed this shot yesterday. I found these scrounging around junk shops in my travels. They were labeled as seed screens or sifters. They looked too much like riddles to pass up and were priced around $15 or $2o at the time. Now on EBay they vary from $50 to $120 as primitive wall art.
    The large size is 16" and the smaller is 12" with a range of mesh sizes up to 1/4".

IMG_20210217_115527.jpg

Tobho Mott, dennis and dtsh like this.
  2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I picked this stuff up off Facebook marketplace last year. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it all but I know I got away for less than 100 bucks. There are 2 of the riddles marked 2-1/2, so, 3 pcs altogether. They're about 16" diameter. The #2 is about 3/8 mesh and the 2-1/2s are a bit smaller. I generally use the smaller one (petrobond). Setting it right on the flask and dumping sand in plus a few wipes with the hand yields pretty fine results in spite of the mesh size.

image.jpeg

Pete

dtsh and Tobho Mott like this.
  3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I got this one a little while back too. There's some gunk built up on the wires, probably plaster and ludo dust that built up over the years of being in Bill's shop. There's no hint of redness so if it was ever used for petrobond, it was really well cleaned afterwards. 5 holes to an inch. I will try to clean it up sometime so I can try using it as a riddle without contaminating my sand with whatever the greyish buildup is.

20210307_143254.jpg

The one on the top of the next pic is more or less like a window screen. I use it to put a very thin layer over patterns then switch to the coarser one on the right which has 8 holes per inch. I'm interested to see if using just the big wooden one might speed things up a bit without affecting the results.

20210307_143502.jpg

Jeff

John Homer likes this.