Sand casting question

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Lachie Hindmarsh, Jul 13, 2023.

1. Hi , im extremely new to casting in general and would like to cast a roman cavalry mask. It's going to be a shelf peice so I'm not to worried about wearability. Anyway back to my question. Would I be able to simply 3D print out a mask, press it onto the silica sand, remove the print then pour

2. Hi Lachie, you'll need a binder of some kind for the silica sand to keep the impression of the mask. This could be a mixture of sand, bentonite and water or it could be a sand-oil mix like petrobond bought online.

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If you already have the ability to to print the pattern, and only want one piece, I'd think a lost PLA shell or investment casting would be the way to go.

Best,
    Kelly

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Lachie,

The Romans sand casted theirs. So, sand casting would be an authentic method to make a mask. You live in or near Christchurch, a good-sized community where there have to be a number of folks doing art casting and I see there are at least two commercial aluminum and bronze foundries. I think the fastest way to figure out what is involved in making a bronze mask might be to try to stop by at lunch time or closing and see if you can get someone to just walk you around and talk a bit about the process and materials and maybe even see a pour first hand.

Also, your Universty of Canterbury has a bronze fine art professor, Louise Palmer,and a series of classes she teachs. That shouod be a potential source of a lot of information.

Then it just becomes a matter of putting together a system that works for you.

There are plenty of folks here who cast aluminum and bronze using a variety of methods and willing to assist you.

Denis