Scrapping a car for metal

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Alecp, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Alecp

Alecp Copper

I have an old Acura Legend that has seen better days. In fact, I suspect it won't last through the next 30 to 60 days listening to the engine knock. I could probably get a hundred bucks or two for it as scrap, but then I started thinking... why not scrap it myself?

Everyone in my circle thinks I'm crazy for even thinking about it. But the block and heads are aluminum, and I'm sure there are other aluminum parts as well. The springs and axles offer some good high carbon steel for forging. I could sell the catalytic converter for the platinum. The wheels seem to be aluminum. And there's gotta be other metals I could salvage as well.

I figure I could chop things up over the course of a week or two with a plasma cutter and cutting tools, and make a few trips to the scrap yard to drop off the unwanted crap. I have never done something like this, and looking for real feedback about trying to tackle such a project.

Am I crazy?!?

2. It'd be a new experience but one I suspect you'd only do once: tyre shops will sell alloy wheels for cash at not much above scrap, brake shops will sell cast iron rotors for not much above scrap price and that just leaves sourcing scrap bronze and brass: most people buy ingot from known reputable sources so you know exactly what you are paying for.

3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

To scrap a vehicle where I live the fuel cell, tires, battery must be removed and you must take the title with you.
    If you try to piece it out you'll end up with the interior (seats and etc) that you'll have to unload in a dumpster.
    I would just harvest a few choice pieces and load the rest on a flat bed.
    Windshield wiper and window regulators are good strong low rpm 12v motors.

Alecp and Petee716 like this.
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I would drive it to the junkyard and take the check. You can strip off a few useful parts as mentioned, but once the car is no longer moving your stuck with a bunch of garbage and unpleasantness and a whole lot of work getting the few things that might be useful one day.
    You might be able to horse trade with the junkyard but things only go one way with them (which I think is fair): they don't buy used cars, they buy junk cars; they don't sell junk parts, they sell used parts.
    A single relationship with a local mechanics shop can yield all of the stuff you mentioned. And doughnuts. Don't forget the doughnuts.
    But, to each his/her own. As Mark said, you'd probably only do it once.

Pete

Alecp likes this.
  5. dtsh

dtsh Silver

C'mon over and get this sad old Saturn off my property!

I'm pretty cheap, errr frugal, and while I'm known for taking in junkers from time to time it's always for a reason (I need specific expensive parts, I know I can get it running, etc), but unless you have a lot of spare time and don't value it highly I'd think laboring as a car breaker would not be too high on my list of ways to spend my days.
    I'll snatch headlight and taillight assemblies and other choice bits from time to time and unload them on eBay, but if it doesn't at least roll it's harder to get rid of - a situation I try to avoid.

So yeah, you're crazy! (and welcome to the club)

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Parts are worth more than scrap. Sell parts first, then scrap whats left.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Shove the 'puter up on fleabay. You'd be surprised what parts for that thing will bring. I say get the torch and cut the motor out of it!

8. If you've got space for it then you have nothing to lose. Scrap value of the parts is worth more than what a scrap yard will give you, they have to make money.

But keep driving it first, and fix the exhaust leak that sounds like a knock...

9. Alecp

Alecp Copper

Glad to see I'm not alone in this madhouse. o_O

All good suggestions. I wanted to start with cutting off the few parts I wanted, and leaving the wheels and steering in order to roll it into a junkyard... or off a cliff. But I'm a little more concerned now about the bigger project/mess this may turn out to be. I'll research a bit and figure out the potential value of individual parts, then make a decision. In the long run, I suppose it may be cheaper to sell off the parts and buy scrap for the shop... and definitely a lot easier.

Thanks for playing.

10. Alecp

Alecp Copper

If only that were the case. It headed toward its demise at 300k miles with a coolant leak somewhere in/around the bell housing, which dropped about a quart every few minutes... even when the engine wasn't running. Soon after I think she developed a head gasket leak, probably from overheating. Then she started shifting out of park at her leisure. Then finally the bottom end knocking around like she's learning to play the drums.
    She's been a good ride and I hate to see her go. Hopefully I can forge and/or cast a good memory out of her.

11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

At 300k it doesn't sound like that car owes anyone anything. Anything lasting that long where I live is truly exceptional for a non-commerce related vehicle. It's not so much the drive train but the salt on the road. Age can matter alot more than mileage.

Pete