Shrinkage or need a bigger vent ?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Sawyer massey, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

See pick the casting is 25...lb the shrinkage is at the top ...welding rod stuck in a blow hole or where it feed for needed material ?
    So do I need a bigger riser or a feeder?or better venting

Thanks

Todd

Attached Files:

2. Chazza

Chazza Silver

If I was casting that, I would pour the metal directly onto the top of the cylinder that has shrunk.

Or better still, if the cylinder is to have a hole machined in it later, I would place a core in the mould to form a hollow cylinder,

Cheers Charlie

3. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

4. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

Would that not cause sand wash...it's 7Inches or better to the bottom of the mold

5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Your better off just adding a riser right to the top of that thick section. Blind riser would be best imho..

Sawyer massey likes this.
  6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I'm assuming that is cast Fe ??? if there is going to be a hole there, you definitely want to use a core more for the improvement of the grain structure then for feeding , otherwise you will need more riser then you can get in that flask .if the piec is 7 inches tall, you need 4 inches of riser, looks like you only have a couple of inches of cope to spare

any reason your sprue is so dern big???

definitely do not try to pour directly down the center of that casting with cast Fe you will get erosion, but if you use an open riser, you can top the riser with hot metal to help it feed once you know you are filling the riser, and not the casting

V/r HT1

7. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

Sprue is so darn big cause I was hoping it would feed from it ..lol no no it won't
    If I core it it would be difficult to re assemble the box as I have only 2inches of depth in the bottom and would be blind putting on the top box ...there is 3
    The split is where the large piece comes out approx 1/2 way up .
    ......but if I taper bore the top half I might get away with a green sand core ......
    I like the topping off the riser to .....
    Thanks HT1

8. Chazza

Chazza Silver

I don't have a problem with wash on my castings, but that could be because I don't pour iron.

Interesting thought!

Cheers Charlie

9. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

How in the heck did I end up with a blow hole here
    This is my 4 one poured all the same no trouble with them
    Thanks
    Todd

Attached Files: