Sil-bronze Sink!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, May 21, 2020.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I swear they've put serious time into their fitting selection. They make it so you need 10 fittings to do the job of 2 proper ones.

Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

yup.. drives you bat shit and their profits up.. bunch of no good motherfkrs. :mad: I loathe walking into a HD or blowes.:(

I called my profession local plumbing supply house and they had never heard of Partition valves.o_O Forget even asking the clown at the box stores...:cool:

Zapins likes this.
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah seriously have you seen the prices on consumable stuff at lowes? Its like $5.50 for a single cut off grinding disc! Madness. Same brand online is a $1 all day each. Don't even get me started on wood!

4. Bldr J

Bldr J Copper

30 bucks Canadian for those stops at my plumbing retailer. Trade pricing. First time I saw them was in a condo for a main shutoff. Haven't seen them since, unless spec'd plumbers seem to prefer an access panel and ball valves.
    They probably have some stupid "inside" name for them that makes it next to impossible to ask for.
    I can't ask for an internal pipe wrench, it's gotta be a nipple extractor. An AAV or air admittance valve has to be a "cheater vent" (that can't even vent). Yeah, my clients just love hearing those words on their projects. I get having a lingo, but these guys at the counter aren't even plumbers and could at least learn the proper names.
    The suppliers hate me for the special orders and non-stock items.
    You have a Wolseley or Ferguson?

5. The guys at my hardware store plumbing counter have FIVE different names for any given item and use them in rotation just so they can act condescending no matter what item you ask for :rolleyes:.

Jason likes this.
  6. Bldr J

Bldr J Copper

For sure. A homeowner came in with a faucet and needed an adapter. Counter guy told him to stop buying stuff from fleabay and wayfair and crazy British stuff. Called him a dumb homeowner.
    When he left I showed the counter guy the poster on the counter that showed exactly the adapter he was looking for. BSP thread. I told him he was the dumb one and better brush up on his plumbing instead of looking at cat videos. I don't get it.

Jason and Zapins like this.
  7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ahaha. Everyone likes to feel like the big fish in the little pond. But usually the guys at the box stores don't know anything at all.

Jason likes this.
  8. rocco

rocco Silver

Most of the time when I go to one of the big box stores, I end up shaking my head and asking myself, "why do I even bother coming here?" However, I'm lucky, I have an awesome alternative, my favourite local hardware store has been in the same family for 3 generations, they're very knowledgeable, willing to share that knowledge and always eager to help you find the best solution to meet your needs.

Jason and Tobho Mott like this.
  9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm lucky too. I have a great scrap yard near by. Also a good mom and pop hardware store where the guy goes and fetches me exactly what I need in 1 minute flat without any BS.

Also - I just got my 500th like (gold ?member now) thanks Jason :)

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I can't think of a single traditional hardware shop near me now, before the box stores took over there were two in walking distance and you could be sure if you wanted a widget for a 1940's ascot boiler they would have one out back (all be it dusty)

Trade wholesalers are up their own, always have been. I've had several run-ins over the years, just last week I called about a DOL motor starter and had to walk the counter guy through what I needed, he still came out with the wrong overload!

11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Those were the good old days. Sometimes I could just hold it up as I walked past the counter and old Mr Smith would send a bill. You could buy a paper kite, .22 ammo, and get advise installing a sink trap all in the same trip.

Pete

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I know a bunch of you are following this thread, but you have GOT TO SEE what I saw tonight in a whataburger drivethru.
    This thing, I shit you not was sticking out 4feet off the bumper! This genius is some kind of serious about his "Q"

20210808_232336.jpg

OMM likes this.
  13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

What is that thing supposed to do?

14. Jason

Jason Gold

It's a bbq grill made out of some big pipe. This one was about 3 feet wide.
    One thig for sure, whatever this guy hits, goes straight on the grill!

They look like this.
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Bldr J likes this.
  15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hahaha awesome. I thought it looked like a weird stop sign or something from the side all shadowed out.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah it was real dark, and I wasn't about to use a flash.:eek:

17. If I recall correctly BSP, British Standard Pipe is older than NPT, National Pipe Thread and the main difference is the American NPT 60 degree angle thread form is one turn per inch different to ensure incompatibility with BSP (55 degree angle).

Bldr J likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

This damn art project of mine BETTER NOT LEAK! I'll find out tomorrow when I tap it to the water.:cool:

20210820_001534.jpg

These petition stops are really nice quality. Glad to see they are made in Canada and not home of the whu flu! They were on back order in the states for 6 weeks.:rolleyes: Ended up finding them in Canada and were ever cheaper! Bonus!;) I took them fully apart before soldiering onto the pipe. There is nothing to them. I like that! Less to go wrong! Anyone ever installing these, be sure to pay attention to flow direction. There is an arrow on the side.;)
    20210818_141313.jpg

What a mess!
    20210819_172240.jpg

Kaowool to the rescue.
    I hate seeing torched lumber.
    20210819_221226.jpg

Best solution I could come up for getting around a pipe. I brace everything in place when laying out. Gravity is a bitch.
    20210819_165304.jpg

And who knew a lathe was required equipment for work like this. Fastest way to shorten a pipe a 1/4" that I know of. Took longer to walk out to the lathe and back!
    20210818_165927.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Clay and Bldr J like this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

Not a single drop.;) Had a little crap on a valve seat, but that was all. I could feel it when closing the valve. Didnt have that nice soft seating feel.
    Fingers crossed no surprises tonight at 3am.:eek:

20. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Boy oh boy what a project. Lookin good man.

Pete