Simple Brick Furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by oldironfarmer, Mar 30, 2018.

1. oldironfarmer

oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

Made a level gauge for my pressurized oil storage tank. Nothing fancy but I finally realized I should have a clip on one so I could move it to the oil level, clip it on, and then measure the number of quarts used directly. Clip is not the final solution.

IMG_5794.JPG

Jason and joe yard like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Silver Banner Member

The simple solutions are the best.
    20141218_204228.jpg

3. oldironfarmer

Is that a gauge/handle?

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

In my extensive experience of getting product approval I don't think the chaps at UL are going to like what you did there Jason ;)

Your sight tube is typical of what we use on fuel oil tanks here except the top is open to the air and a plunge valve on the bottom is used to stabilise the level (In case the tube gets knocked and 30,000 litres of fuel oil departs south bound!)

5. Jason

Jason Silver Banner Member

I never noticed the UL on that thing. Who would think UL has anything to do with refrigerant? Last time I looked, that r22 can was about 700bucks. 2020 is coming guys, then say goodbye to this stuff! I quit buying the stuff last year. Too expensive to have sitting around waiting on someone to need it.

6. oldironfarmer

UL approved my gauge.

But Uncle Leon approves of anything that doesn't keep him from his beer.

7. oldironfarmer

Inspected the 2,600F wall brick after two more iron pours. Satanite has turned to glass, and brick is shrinking (melting). But it looks like it still has a few more heats in it.

IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG

I really need a round plinth. but my aluminum oxide floor protection is holding up well.

8. OMM

OMM Silver

To what temperature is Satanite good to? I’ve been holding out pretty hard on buying any refractory until I see what I get. I was told it’s 3200 F brick. And I’m holding my breath on its condition.

Andy, I’m thinking along the same Avenue you have went but building smaller than a 55 gallon drum. I am also thinking just using Rockwool on the backside of the brick. Thoughts?

9. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Silver Banner Member

Could you somehow draw and arrow or two on your pics to show where the satanite has glassified? I am surprised it has done so, as I have not yet seen it glassify in my furnace despite being only on 2600 wool. Maybe your fire is hotter?

Denis

10. OMM

OMM Silver

Jason, I do like your set up. I do have a scrap small duel tank 5 gallon air compressor that I think would suit my needs for tanks. I think 2 1/2 gallons per fuel might suit my needs initially.

Andy, with your larger furnace, how much fuel would you go through per melt? Or per session?

11. oldironfarmer

High Temperature Tools & Refractory state Satanite is good to 3,200F.

Mineral wool should be good to 1,200Fso as long as you don't have gas leakage through gaps in the brick it should hold up fine.

I really don't know how much fuel I'm using. It is immaterial to me, so long as I can get enough air in to burn it all (flames not roaring out the flue) and I'm currently air limited. With my leaf blower on low I have my damper wide open and burn around 3 quarts in 20 minutes to melt 5 lbs of aluminum, that's my stainless steel crucible full, 4" IDx6" deep. I made a level gauge so I could evaluate fuel usage but always, and I mean always forget to check it after I've poured.

It think bigger is better because more good insulation keeps the exterior cooler. When you start with a small exterior you are limited on interior space. For burning oil I also like a large interior space to give whatever oil flow I'm burning more time to stay in the firebox.

12. oldironfarmer

I'm not too good with computers so forgive me.

IMG_6120a.jpg

Initial flame impingement is upper right in the picture, burner is off the picture top right. This brick is getting the first bounce, and the flame impingement area does not have full combustion and gets deposits of contaminants. So this may be the hottest area.

Melterskelter likes this.