Solid State Relay - Voltage

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Al2O3, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

The 3-pole isolator Negative3 describes could be operated with a micro switch set up like a machine guard that would activate when the furnace body elevates or is otherwise opened. Sorry if that's already been covered, there's a lot to digest here.

Pete

2. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Pete, that would work with a contactor for sure, the coil control voltage going through the microswitch.

3. _Jason

_Jason Silver

So if I'm reading this correctly, the take aways from this thread are this: make sure your metal kiln parts are grounded and that you have killed the power to the SSRs before coming in contact with the coils. Right?

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Yes, -3 I liked your first schematic better except I'd route the instrument/control circuit back to L1 around the 3-pole contactor leaving the hour meter and LED of each circuit isolated with the coils. There's merit to a mechanical contactor for isolation whether it is manually or magnetically actuated. I may do this when I add a blower control and remake the electrical enclosure. Though my alternate sketch does remove the ability to independently control the circuits it is just a simple re-wire of the existing hardware and as you can see, there's not a lot of real estate left.

Best,
    Kelly

5. Al2O3

It's not that I want that.....more a matter of safe-guarding against it. BTW, touching with tongs is improbable because the hole body lifts off and I both snatch and replace with an open ring shank. However, I do take metal temperatures with a conductive pyrometer and want to use a degassing lance while the crucible is still in place in the furnace thus the desire to isolate the heating elements while doing so.

To each his own Pat, but the short answer is that would reset the PiD and defeat all the control panel instruments which give you information about the coil operating status. It's really just a matter of degree of safety. Do you do all those things any time you change a tool in your mill out of fear it will start by itself? Change a bit in the drill press? A blade on your table saw? Do you shut down your burner any time you open the lid on your furnace? Heck, why would one melt iron and expose oneself to such a risk?

I look at the hazard as probability of occurrence versus the consequences of occurrence. How many intervening devices must fail before you feel comfortable? If the consequences is lethal shock....a lot. Of course then there is human error.

If it was 480vac I would not go near it....most often not survivable. 240vac better but not for me. 120vac? I've felt that a number of times and still here, but just the same, I prefer not especially when I'm handling molten metal. So, if I have toggle switches that open the SRR control circuit, two status lamps and hour meters that tell me if there is power or not to the coils, a panel meter that indicates voltage and current status, and I add a contactor that insures both it and an SSR would have to fail to be exposed to <=120vac, I'd still treat the coil like it is live even though all the aforementioned tells me no.

I actually have an interlock on my furnace lift that is a limit switch that is there to automatically isolate the coils when the furnace is lifted. It's the third one not labled in this photo.

3 Limit Stops.JPG

I don't use it because I didn't want to rely on just that switch, but I may re-introduce in addition to all the above if/when I add the mechanical contactor. I'll just put it in series with the isolation contactors and that is one extra layer of protection against me forgetting to turn off the coils.....which has happened.

Best,
    Kelly

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I think there is a big difference between changing a bit or a blade using a device that has a mechanical on-off switch, a fully insulated motor coil (unless it develops a fault), and a grounded metal case, and reaching into a furnace that has exposed and uninsulated conductors, so I don't follow your analogy.

480 volt (and higher voltage) circuits actually kill far less people than 120 volt circuits.
    It is the heart fibrilation that starts with current above 10 mA that gets people.
    The higher voltages cause the heart to contract violently, and generally it will restart after that (witness the shock machines they use to revive patients having a heart attack).

I can only say what I would do, but I have been shocked enough to know that it is wise to turn things off when you have exposed conducting parts, or potentially conducting parts.
    No slight intended, that is just my feeling.

Ground fault circuit breakers and receptacles save a lot of people because you can often have stray and unexpected currents/voltages.

7. Al2O3

I think that is a good take away.

Best,
    Kelly

8. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Yes In a nutshell however a little more in-depth.

9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Move the LED legs to the inside of the third pole of the switc/contactor (end of the coil) fused if desired.

10. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

If you want to reinvent the wheel slightly you could use mercury based contactors made for heating applications: http://www.plasticservices.com/techtips/contactors.htm

These are made to handle continuous switching created by heat control circuits.

No leakage on these bad boys, and I couldn't even fathom the number of cycles it takes to kill one of these. To put their durability into perspective. In my seven years at a former employer that used said devices. I never replaced a mercury based contactor that I installed. ...and again, those contactors cycled continuously on a 24/7 basis.

11. Al2O3

12. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Monitor over time. What do the new coils measure, resistance wise, versus an old/used coil?

13. Al2O3

I don't have anything I can accurately measure that low of resistance with but the new wire is .2124ohm/ft and the old was .2085. All coils are 63ft so new coils are 13.4 Ohms and old ones were 13.1 when cold. The resistance increases a couple percent at operating temp.

Best,
    Kelly

14. Frank Clark

Frank Clark Copper

Kelly,

Just recently joined the forum so just replaying. We build Turbine warming systems at work and have used all types of SCRs/SSRs. These are SUPPOSED to 'leak'. We usually provide 240v to them and see real close to that on the output side when not energized. They key is there is no significant amount of current when 'off'.

My Kiln and Furnace are both electric and use variable output SCRs controlled with 0-10v. Each draws just short of 50A at 240V. If there was any current when 'off', I'd be in a world of hurt!

15. Just happened upon this thread. When I was building my kiln controller I read that when SSR's fail they can fail closed as well as open. Not the subject of the thread but still something to consider. Or maybe someone can correct my memory. I wired my kiln control through my kiln sitter so it will kill the kiln on over temperature (I was running 30 hour dryouts and could not watch it full time). The only SSR failures I've had was inrush to a cold coil popping the SSR on excessive current.

16. Frank Clark

Frank Clark Copper

Yes, they can fail closed (ON). They don't fail often - at work we use good quality ones and have never had a failure other than the associated electronics (which on our SCRs is replaceable). Ours run 24/7/365 at 240V/50-70 Amps. Typically cycle a few hundred times a day.

I have a $10 Chinese SCR on my 3D printer bed - I did include a thermal 'trip' switch (from a hot water heater) to kill the power if the SCR get's stuck on.

If you have an electric kiln in the house (garage), some type of safety is in order. Mine is outside, worst that can happen is it melts down my $75 kiln. Odds are the breaker would blow or the heaters would melt down first.

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I wired my kiln so that at maximum current, the wire and circuit breaker see less than 80% current flow of the respective device/wire rating, so in other words I can run my kiln at maximum current indefinitely without either the circuit breaker or the wire overheating.
    A thermal overload would be a good idea if you use less than rated wiring or breaker.

For most electrical devices, wiring and wiring terminations are only rated at 80% of their nameplate rating if used continuously.

Edit
    I have used a lot of "Mercoid" mercury pressure switches in a control setting, and they do basically last forever without problems, but have not used them to switch power circuits. I will have to look up their maximum voltage and current setting, and whether they can be had in multi poles.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  18. My kiln will get to 2,200F or more and I figure that would shorten the life of the coil at least. My SSR is rated higher than the kiln current nameplate but it sure gets a big inrush when the coil is cold.