Source for "Gun Metal" brass in the US for casting?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by John Gaertner, May 29, 2022.

1. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Hello Forum,

I am looking for a source on "Gun Metal" which according to Wiki is (gun metal, also known
    as red brass in the United States, is a type of bronze; an alloy of copper, tin and zinc. Proportions
    vary but 88% copper, 8–10% tin, and 2–4% zinc is an approximation. )

Does anyone on the forum A.)use Gun metal for casting and B.)know of a source for say 5 Lbs?

Thanks,

Jgaertner

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

3. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Thanks for the source. I will try calling them after Monday. Hopefully they will sell less than a large size ingot?
    Did not know about the Phos Copper. Good to know! Jgaertner

EDIT: I found this excellent resource for foundry info on all types of bronze foundry work.

https://maritime.org/doc/foundry/part4.htm

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  4. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Thats the Navy foundry Manuel, when I was a molder in the Navy I took regular tests out of the Newest versions of that book, there was a time when I could all but quote it Chapter and verse

5. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

I contacted Belmont and their minimum order is $240 worth for red brass. A bit more than I need for 4 castings that
    are the size of a base ball? I tried contacting several other brass companies asking whether they would sell me some
    short pieces (drop) but no one replied. Anyone else looking for red brass? Gun Metal for casting? We could share an
    order with Belmont.

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Mark's castings likes this.