T5 transmission spacer

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by ESC, Feb 13, 2024.

1. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I plan to put a 215 cu in Buick in the Ruby and back it up with a 5 speed T5 transmission. I picked up an original stick bell housing, but the stick out on the T5 is too long by .400" so I made a quicky pattern to fill that gap. Resized_20240212_150500_1707792549123.jpeg

And then poured a pair today. I can swing them in my big lathe so the nose and pocket can be kept concentric. I poured with a single sprue on a central gate and had only minor sand wash that will be machined off the .480" as cast thickness.

Resized_20240213_171021_1707878070663.jpeg

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Good stuff ESC. I know that engine well. I have a friend that makes 400hp versions of them and modern Rover equivelants and an old friend who built a motorcycle around one.

Best,
    Kelly

3. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Yes Kelly, very interesting engine. They had such a short run in the US it is difficult to get any information on them. I'm just learning about them and it seem that GM went through some of the same sort of casting issues that we see here. Then the Brits solved those problems and produced the engine up into the '90's. Also I understand the coolant had a lot to do with the decision to abandon the aluminum in the early '60's.
    I think getting 200 HP should be fairly easy and that is three times what the V8 60 was capable of in stock form. The Ruby should come in less than 2000 lbs.

4. Al2O3

Yes, British LeLand acquired it from GM and its evolution as an engine can still be seen in Rover engines. My buddy who builds high power version can get their displacement up to almost 300CI but, must use other Buick or aftermarket heads to support this power level becuase the Rover stuff just wont flow the need numbers. Still, approaching 400HP in a long block just over 300lbs aint bad and it will fit in a comparatively small space, making light little cars scoot!

Best,
    Kelly

5. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Not quite. Rover bought the production rights in the '60's and it was used in the P5 car, 3 years before British Leyland was formed.

Nice engine, I have two of them, in a P6 and a Land Rover Discovery,

Cheers Charlie

6. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Finished up the machining of the parallel surfaces and bore, then drilled the mounting holes and pockets for the cap screws that retain the nose piece. Then mounted it to verify the pilot shaft stickout had been reduced enough to fit the pilot bearing recess.

Resized_20240217_150232_1708212244394.jpeg

Resized_20240217_151439_1708212247134.jpeg

Al2O3, Tops and Tobho Mott like this.
  7. Al2O3

Sure is nice to be able to make a custom adapter and never have to buy stock or leave your shop....home foundry capability is a game changer.

Best,
    Kelly

8. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Yep, and one alternative to this was a new $1400 bell housing. This stock one was $400+ and luckily had the T5 bolt pattern so a simple draft pattern could correct the stickout. I did make this as a split pattern in the event I wished to make a run of them using a matchplate, but I already have too many projects.