The best of the best burners!

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by OMM, Jun 8, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

I forgot to add. If I only had one torch I wouldn't be using a ball valve. I would just monitor the VFD displays. On/off, and speed adjustment. I know some guys use Rheostats or dimmers or router controllers. They work, but they work with a chopped sine wave. This is fine for lighting or high rpm motors that don't need very much torque. They are also pretty good with brushed motors. Three phase motors are pretty stupid, and pulse wave modulation is very linear with volt and hurts. A Vfd that supports vector or sensorless vector, can immediately compensate for sudden torque requirements.

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Could be, but never saw that in the exhaust stream. Perhaps because I was never really letting the exhaust get totally oxidizing.

Denis

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'll start this off with I'm not a burner guy....at least yet, and this won't get you flame temp measurement but an automotive MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor will very accurately measure the flow rate of air you're putting into your furnace and they are very inexpensive. They're are just a piece of resistance wire and the change in resistance by the cooling of air flow is used to calculate the Mass Flow of air......but you do have to correct for inlet air temp so their is a simple calculation performed by the control.

This wont tell you if you're getting the air & fuel burned but since you already have a good idea of fuel flow rate it would tell you exactly what you are putting into the furnace.

I know MS commented on using a sniffer with automotive sensor. I don't see why this wouldn't work well. A self heated wide band O2 sensor, a length of small diameter tube (probably Inconel or other high temp alloy tip, but you may not need it if it was heat sinked properly), and then an ejector downstream to continuously draw a small sample through the tube.

I have a number of aftermarket engine control units and sensor. If I ever feel the need to melt some high temp alloys I'd be very tempted to use one of them, an automotive fuel pump, injector (or maybe a burner nozzle), MAF, wide band sensor, and manifold temp (MAT) sensor. It would very accurately meter fuel, air, and in a closed loop scheme. If you added a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor it would even correct for changes in barometric pressure. In theory you could have active control at selected A/F ratio regardless of the atmospheric conditions that day.

This would be analogous to cruise or idle control scheme but it's very simple because it's steady state whereas engine loading in the automotive application calls for other active control schemes. If you don't have all these components laying around and experience using them like I do it's a long way to go, but if you do....

I'm pretty sure a few years ago I saw a fellow with a similar scheme on YouTube and a thread over at AA about it.

Best,
    Kelly