The can of worms is back! (blower motor speed regulation)

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is a nice camera.
    I have considered one, but don't have the dolaros to spend on it right now.
    The wife wanted a new kitchen table and chairs (now), and those things are not cheap so that was this month's investment.

My Canon EOS Rebel takes a decent video, but I think it has an automatic cutoff after 2 minutes or so, and it is very bulky; not to mention the fact that if I break it during a melt, I don't have a camera to use for work photos anymore.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good cheap video camera; cheaper than a gopro?

You should try the voltmeter plugged in with the fan, into the same extension cord on the load side of the dimmer switch.
    I don't think the small voltmeter is loading the dimmer enough to register anything when the knob is turned.

They would not put frequency modulation (FM) in a dimmer switch (I don't think).
    It has to be clipping the waveform, ie: reducing the voltage.

That video makes me thirsty.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll try it and report back... The gopro 6 is 399 at the moment and you can pick up the 5 for 299. I still havent modified the case to open up the holes for the microphone. They suffer a bit from sound quality as I can hear it in this video.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Pat you were right.. With the 2buck volt meter in the plug and spinning the fan. It DID read a change in voltage. At full spin, it was 108 volts and then would lower with the fan as I dialed down the dimmer switch. Now I'm even more confused. o_O

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The small meter may not be reading true RMS I suspect, and its accuracy is probably low.

The dimmer is clipping the voltage.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

SO in that case, we are back to square one. While it works, it's still not a good idea to under volt motors. Off to the back of the class I go again.:oops:
    Not a total waste of an evening. I discovered the sound sucks because the case that holds the gopro6 completely covers 1 of the microphone holes on the side and partially obscures the top microphone hole. (it has 3 microphone holes)

How the hell these clowns don't address this issue with a simple mold change is beyond me.:rolleyes: 1/8" drill bit and some careful drilling makes it now sound so much better.:D

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I specify VFD's for a lot of motors, and they all reduce the voltage to the motor (to the best of my knowledge).
    I do spec VFD-rated motors, but that is due to the solid state device spiking the windings, so a high insulating value is needed.

I have not used a lot of dimmer switches on 120 volt motors other than shade-pole fans, but it does not overheat the small fans I use, even at low speed.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

9. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I bought a Vivitar 786hd for about $60 at Walmart. It's a go-pro like camera. The microphone doesn't work very well when the camera is in it's waterproof case.

10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

My 5 gallon bucket sized shop vac blower from Lowe's (IIRC in the US Home Depot sells something similar) was pretty cheap; if/when running it off a dimmer switch burns it out, I'll switch to the $10 garage sale leaf blower I picked up a couple years ago, which seems like it'll work even better (though I haven't tried plugging it into my dimmer cord yet). So I have essentially chosen not to worry about that as long as it works.

And of course there's always the dump gate or butterfly/ball valve option if I ever do decide to start worrying about it. I have one of those router speed controllers somewhere too but I haven't yet tried using it.

We got my son an "action camera" (GoPro knockoff) for Christmas at Princess Auto aka Harbour Freight for under $100CDN. I think it works ok video wise, but the sound is awful. Perhaps drilling some holes in the cases that came with it would help.

I used it for the saw-cam action shots with the waterproof case off but another holder/case on it in one of my recent videos where I was cutting a bronze ingot into 4 pieces, but I had to use the sound from my cell phone camera which was filming simultaneously, because the action cam sound was so bad.

Since then I got a new phone and I don't like the sound it records either, but when I used it, it also had an otter case on it that may have been part of the problem. It made the shop vac blower in my house number plaque casting video sound like it was underwater or something.

I still have my old phone so that is what I'm using to shoot video most recently. I haven't decided whether I like the video from the new phone better; I had turned the brightness up to 200% in the during software for the new phone's footage (the night-melt scenes) so that more than just a little fire out the vent hole in my furnace could be seen, so it's not a great example to compare against.

Maybe I'll end up just running a sound recorder on my old phone while shooting video on the new one, but it would have to look a lot better to be worth that much of a PITA putting the video and sound back together in editing... More likely I'll continue filming on the old phone since it seems to do a decent job. The new phone and son's action cam may be helpful for getting multiple angles if I ever feel like getting fancy.

Got a Princess Auto GC so maybe I'll pick up one of those action cameras for myself so I can set up a pouring shank cam without my son giving me grief about making sure not to melt his... :D

Jeff

11. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I think AVE of Youtube fame is shooting his vids with a "SJcam" now. Can't say that I've noticed a difference in his vid quality and don't know what he does for sound. At any rate it's supposed to be a direct competitor to the GoPro line at like half the cost.

Personally I use a Canon point/shoot, and hate it. Video at best is "meh", and the sound sucks. My memory card is waaay too tiny and the battery sucks...lol.

I'm too cheap to buy something specific you workshop vids so I'll probably end of retooling one of my old 'smart' phones for video purposes. What I would love is to download in realtime to my laptop to save on the file transfer time, and take device memory out of the equation.

12. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it Jason. As long as the dimmer switch is rated at/above the current of the motor and the motor is a universal motor. Is it a Universal motor? If there was speed control on the microwave blower originally it was probably similarly controlled. Triacs/Thyristors are best for purely resistive loads like your soldering iron or light bulb. With the router speed controls motor power is substantially reduced with the speed which can be a problem for routers because the usual reason to reduce speed is to reduce the tip speed of larger diameter bits which actually require more torque not less. On fans, as you reduce speed you also reduce the required power to spin the fan. FYI, most dimmer switches wont "turn on" without a load and some you need to take them to full power before they will regulate back down. I see that on my hot wire foam cutter.

FWIW, there is a version of the solid state relays like we commonly used for electric furnaces and kilns that is essentially a high power dimmer switch. They have a potentiometer across the switching portion of the thyristor circuit instead of an on/off signal from the PiD. Here's an example. The control on an electric stove element is the same thing and can be had for nothing.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=353

You can buy them for a third of the price in that link above and at power levels up to 80 amps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-AC-Si...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Like SSRs, they need to be heat sinked or will fail in short order. I have a 120vac, 15a 3-stage central vac blower with a universal motor and use one of these to control the speed. They are inefficient but dead simple. You can also use them to control the power level of the resistive coils in a kiln or electric furnace which can come in handy for more precise control at operating temperatures much lower than metal melting.

Best,
    Kelly

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Electric stove element controls... Now THERE is a good idea. And I just throw out the top half to my stove a couple of years ago. (powder coating oven)
    I checked the dimmer switch in the video and she's rated to 600 watts. HD sells them in many different sizes. This all came about at when my wife recently said a dimmer in our home felt pretty warm to the touch in the living room. After measuring the metal temp behind the wall plate, it was 135 degrees! That of course set off warning flags and after checking watts on the light bulbs on the chandelier (480watts) and the dimmer is rated for 500watts. Funny thing, that dimmer gets warm when the bulbs are at full brightness. I would have thought it was the other way around when dim. I guess it's true these are really more electric choppers and not of the resistor variety. Learn something new each day.
    Wild stuff.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  14. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I think it uses the same waveform clipping to reduce voltage.
    Note that it specifies use with an universal motor with brushes, although I have used them with shade-pole fan motors too.

Now that I think about it, I guess there are PWM commercial variable speed drives that change the pulse width (pulse width modulated).
    The technology has changed so much over the years that it is difficult to keep up with exactly how they are doing it.

I prefer a mechanical damper to control combustion air flow because menchanical dampers never break, but having said that I bought a new Toro leaf blower for my new furnace, and it has built-in variable speed control that I will be using.

15. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I will take a look at that one.
    I don't want to put a lot of money into a video camera, but I would like a small one just to keep record of what I do, and be able to review mistakes I make during the process (and record casting disasters heaven forbid should they occur).

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I looked at several cameras, and the reviews on the inexpensive ones are not very good (good price but lots of malfunctioning units).
    I guess I will use my Canon Rebel, and strap it to a helmet or something.
    I just can't drop 300-400 on a camera, no matter how small or convenient it is.
    I could come close to buying a new Rebel for that.

17. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Seeing mistakes and unnecessarily duplicated movements I had been unaware I was doing has been one of the big unexpected benefits I have noticed since I began filming my molding/melting/pouring sessions.

Jeff

18. Jason

Jason Gold

In the flying world.. As a flight instructor I noticed there is this clarity that comes from sitting in the right seat of an airplane watching someone. Extra movements, unnecessary procedures, bad time management, pretty much you name it, I've watched some clown do it while flying. It's often hilarious when explaining this later. The running video exposes our weaknesses as humans when conducting tasks. If anything, it's entertaining as hell. Editing is a wuss way to make stuff look better. There is a guy on youtube called styhexenhammer and everything he does is single take. No editing. Pretty impressive to watch him delve into a complex subject and not miss a beat after 15mins! If only he would put on a damn shirt. lol

19. PatJ

PatJ Silver

LOL, I like that guy; he is good.
    I always wear a shirt because I have never been able to grow chest hair.
    My wife always complains when we go to the beach and I wear my velcro-chest hair accessory.
    I think she is just jealous of all the attention it draws.
    If I lose much more hear on my head, I am going to get a velcro wig to as a matching accessory.

20. Jason

Jason Gold