UK Sculptor and Bronze Caster

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by DJN Holistic, Jul 22, 2022.

1. DJN Holistic

DJN Holistic Silver

Hi there,

I grew up playing a lot of table top games. I really enjoyed the painting and modelling side of the hobby, especially converting and customising miniatures. Back then, they were made from metal, so converting was a job for a hacksaw with a healthy dose of Milliput and epoxy. Over time, creating arms from scratch and items of clothing, I felt as though it was within my reach to build my own miniatures from scratch. The results were so-so, mostly due to the size. So rather than spend hours squinting and agonising over details fractions of a millimetre in size, I scaled up and started to sculpt larger fantasy inspired figurines. I did that for a couple of years before I took up motorcycle touring and my sculpting tools collected dust.

Last year however, the sculpting bug bit me again. I'd always been bothered by the impermanence of my creations, being built from clay, or epoxy, with the occasional resin cast mixed in. So I turned my attention to bronze casting and started to build and buy my own set up. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but with the help of a beginners guide I bought on amazon, some web searches and a lot of trial and error, I had some success, even so far as to have some of my work put on display in the annual Yorkshire Art Show.

I'll share some pictures here of my first years results. I'm still finishing off this years efforts, which are a step up in quality due to upgrading my set up from a "spit and blue tack" operation to a "glue gun and duct tape" one, metaphorically speaking.

Still, I consider myself a novice when it comes to casting, so I thought it would be a good idea to join a forum like this to get some advice from time to time. I think my passion for the matter has me a little ahead of the curve, so hopefully I'll be able to contribute too.

Okay, well that was a wordy intro, so I'll see you in the forums..
    cats and frogs.jpg Cheetah Collage.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Jason, Rocketman, Tobho Mott and 2 others like this.
  2. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

nice work. Is the base of the cat stone or bronze too

3. DJN Holistic

DJN Holistic Silver

Thanks. It's bronze. It's a hollow shell though, about 1cm thick.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey another Fox metal caster! Video for it is on my YT channel.

Funny how they look so peaceful sleeping. You ever hear one of these things up close? Most demonic sounding animal I've ever come across!:eek:

20180419_232739.jpg

hatta likes this.
  5. DJN Holistic

DJN Holistic Silver

Oh! I've saw that on Youtube a good while back. I was trying to soak up every bit of knowledge I could and I came across it. Good to put a face to it. I think I remember seeing you make a reign for a horse sculpture too if I'm not mistaken.

And, yeah they are weird sounding creatures. There's a pack of them that likes to play around the top of my garden at night. There's a big patch of wild garlic growing there which they seem to enjoy rolling around in.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup.. that was the video. I seem to remember that reign was for some an old man's remington. I think he died before he could see it fixed. We tried. :(

Are you doing your own lost wax ceramic shell or you sending it out?

7. DJN Holistic

DJN Holistic Silver

Send out? Do you mean do I having someone cast stuff for me? If so, then no, I'm doing it myself. My little setup is slowly growing. I've been casting for two years now, although its probably more like 8 months in practical terms as I only do it in the summer.

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

Awesome, that's good to hear. I'm looking forward to getting back to pouring hot metal someday when I climb out of my hole.:oops: