Used/expired 20lb propane tank for a furnace?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Redwolf947, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Joe Avins

Joe Avins Copper

No argument. And no accusation was implied.

2. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

I think I'll pass on the propane cylinder idea. To many risks. I know it can be done but there are 'safer' ways and items to use. Thanks all for the information. I hope this helps anyone else thinking of using one of these..

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Someone gave me a few old propane tanks before I started building my furnace.... I have to admit, after spending an hr trying to remove a valve off one, I started to get the heebbee-jeebies thinking about taking an angle grinder to one. I know it can be done safely, but I just didnt have the stomach or balls to actually do it. No shame in not doing it.;) I always imagine reading a magazine article of some dumb thing I might do in an airplane and look for the smarter option.:eek: I'm not ready to leave this life yet, too much stuff left to do. :D

Petee716 likes this.
  4. Come on Jason, refute the old adage about old bold pilots. Show us your guts.

I was given a 20# and 50# cylinders with the valves open for years (old valves, they actually open) and I'm not hesitant to fill them with water but decided I wanted a bigger furnace than they would afford.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Ha!! I'm grade A chicken shit!

6. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I opened a 30# tank and there was about a cup of the smelly oil in it. Stunk up the place for weeks. I ended up scrapping it, too tall and narrow.

7. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I know I am not the safest guy on the thread but when the neighbor wanted to scrap a pile of propane cylinders. He called me for a bit of target practice. Just throw them out in the back 40 and break out your favorite dear rifle. Even if you are lucky enough to get one to light up it wont burst. It will just throw a 20 or 30 foot impressive flare of flame for a second and quietly go out. They don’t take off like rockets or explode but if you do it after dark it can be quite entertaining.
    Just do it from 50 yard or so.
    Joe

Petee716 and Tobho Mott like this.
  8. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I emptied a 20 pounder yesterday, first casting in months and I sure was rusty in molding, two salvageable and one piece of crap.
    If I get some free time, I thought I would try a build with no welding, just a grinder and drill. I've thought it out and pretty sure it's doable.

9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I've emptied a bunch of 1lb propane cans with a .22 rifle as well as a 30/30. No excitement.

10. Yeah, if there's no air inside with the last of the propane there;s nothing to explode.

11. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I like to use an SKS 7.62x39 MM and have shot possibly 5 or 8 of the 20 Lb tanks. I have never had one light up if they have enough to feel it slosh around inside but the ones that are all but empty will light with a nice hoof and a short jet of flame every now and then. I think it is from the sparks on impact. I have always wanted to try a few tracer rounds but never have.
    Joe

12. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

You can put a tank to any number of good uses but often times you want it without bullet damage, like with my muller build. After seeing some of the extreme measures folks have gone to to get the valve off an old tank I opted to buy a new empty. The valve was still tough but wasn't too bad with the use of a cheater bar and a stout post to tie it down to. Even then, I still got the heebbee-jeebies!
    I've watched a number of YouTube videos of guys lighting tanks up with rifles. The ones that make it on YouTube always have an external fire involved in the production so getting one to light up with just a gunshot must be unpredictable at best. I have some 30.06 tracers. Maybe I'll try it some time.

Pete

joe yard likes this.
  13. joe yard

joe yard Silver

The ones with much in them at all never light. I think the pressure just displaces the oxygen to quick. The others can make a nice ball of fire and a long short jet. If a person had the notion. A small fire near by might liven things up. If you use tracers or a fire near by. Please video it.
    Joe