Using a Custom "Low-Boy" Device to Transport Heavy Molds

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Melterskelter, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I recently pulled out a pattern for a precision 30" square to be cast in iron. The mold/flask setup for this particular pattern weighs very close to 500 pounds. Moving it around from molding bench out to the casting area over gravel and up a slight incline has been challenging. In the past I used a straight axle mounted unde the mold center point and a handle attached to the mold itself. That method presented problems as attaching the axle required suspending the mold (not a problem in itself as I use a powered hoist) and holding the axle in place and atarting a couple bolts. The latter was awkward at best. Then, once I was out to the pouring area the wheels had to be removed from the axle and the whole works lowered in a gentle and controlled fashion to ground level. (That's because I use a trolley that is not convenient for pouring with the mold elevated.) Lowering it was a slow process using a farm jack and wedges. Uggh! So I decided to make a U-shaped axle onto which the assembled mold could be placed. No bolts are used. Instead I mad a loose slot in the drag to accomodate the mold. That was all fine but I also needed to get the wheels off and safe and out of the way for the pour. So, the axles insert into the uprights of the "U" and are held in place with simple set screws.

Now I pack my mold, hoist it off the bench and set it onto the low-boy. I roll the assmbly out to the furnace area and bar up one end of the assembly enough so that I can slide out the axle and wheel assemnblies. Then it is just a matter of lowering one end a couple inches and done. Soooo much quicker and easier. I love it.

Here are some pics.
    New set up in foreground
    New setup foreground old in background.JPG

New Setup.JPG
    Flask tipped up off of axle.JPG

Axle from above. Note set screws in top of square tube uprights Axle from above.JPG

Upright detail in cleats.
    Upright detail in cleats.JPG

Two cleats for a slot to stabilize axle.
    Two cleats form slot to retain axle in position.JPG

Might be useful for someone else dealing with heavy flasks without a forklift.

Denis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022