"Vintage" kiln

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Rtsquirrel, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

So, being Mr. Broke&Cheap, I trawl Craigslist regularly. My most common search lately is for a kiln. A large kiln for burn out.
    I found this one, https://richmond.craigslist.org/tls/d/kiln/6736536034.html near me. But it looks ROUGH to say the least. I'm researching it, very limited info due to its "vintage".
    Instead of a 240vac power source, each coil operates on its own 120vac, @ 13-2/3 amp.
    It's on wheels, which is good for moving it in & out of my shed.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Not sure on interior dimensions but think you can do better if you are patient. Most that are large and inoperable can be had for little or even come get it. I'd just be looking for something that the firebrick and mechanicals were in good shape, with interior size and power in your target range. Expect to make/replace a coil and add your own controls.

Best,
    Kelly

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Yea, Id pass on that one. Ive bought a couple of the econo kilns for $100.00 that were in very nice shape (until they met me) :eek:

4. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

That's the kind of sensible speak I needed. Thanks.
    I kept hearing my father-in-law saying something about "a fool and his money," something something ...

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I'd take that one if you could get it for 75bucks. Not 125. My cat piss kiln was 25bucks and I got lucky it worked. Hinge is still screwed up, but I dont care. People will usually pay you to haul these off. Especially if they have zero desire to make pots and ashtrays.