weird Petrobond sand recipe

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by HT1, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Jason, I appreciate your willingness to look at this. I came across the company listing their warehouses last night. But I made the mistake of not copying down their name thinking I could easily find it again. Wrong! I have tried searching several times to relocate the company but have had no luck. That said, Monahans is a pretty small place. So, one of the local hardware stores should know. I’ll try making a couple calls tomorrow. Too late now.

Denis

2. rocco

rocco Silver

I just came across this:

3. Jason

Jason Gold

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Nah, that's for water mixed greensand. The stuff being discussed is bentone. I believe its chemically treated bentonite that makes it a different animal so it works with oil instead of water.

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I think Stephan (aka Evlwhiteguy) may have tried molasses. I could be wrong.

Pete

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Alright, just let me know. I'll see if I can source it locally. I have a few well drilling supply companies nearby.

7. rocco

rocco Silver

The key word to look for in the description of the product is "organophilic".

Melterskelter likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

9. rocco

rocco Silver

Yes. In fact that exact product is one of the ones recommended for making K-bond sand.,

10. Melterskelter

Yes, there are many trade names like Clayton 11, clytone 40, Bentone, Vg 69. From what I read they are all modified Bentonite. The are treated so that they absorb petroleum components. They are used in a large number of industries but there is no non-industrial-sized source except for a few very expensive cosmetic and health related suppliers on eBay.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

They might be worth a try, I'll call and see if they can recommend a local supplier.

12. Melterskelter

Ray’s link looks very promising. I’ll just standby. It’ll be better if someone local makes contact than to have several (annoying) calls from out-of-Townes, I suppose.

Denis

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Alright, I put on my best southern west texas draw and called them. Of course the receptionists never heard of it, but she did transfer me to a guy "upstairs" named Dennis. He never heard of it, but offered to make a couple calls and will call me back if he finds something. So fingers crossed on that front.

I also called one of the guys I fly for and he has connections in Midland. He had me text him the name and what we needed it for and is sending it to his buddies. His concern is these guys buy shit by the truckload. Of course I offered to sweep up broken bags so lets see what happens.

14. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Does sound promising! I found a source for smaller bags of "bentone organoclay" not long ago, but on closer inspection in the product pic the bag just says "bentonite"... :(

https://www.naturalpigments.com/organoclay-500-g.html

I'm not positive it's the right kind of bentone even if the pic is wrong and the description is correct.

I clicked the link to ask for clarification, will let folks know if/when I hear back.

Jeff

Melterskelter likes this.
  15. Melterskelter

Sounds like the right stuff according to the description—-matches in every way. Kind of expensive per pound for our purposes. But, available!

Denis

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Good news. Found a guy that has connections at slumbrj. They have it and it's in houston and midland. he said they are shit at getting back with him, but he's calling them now. He said plan to wait a few days. I do have another lead I'm chasing now for a company that does the 1bag thing. standby.

Rock likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

The fence I'm running into is vg69 isnt used anymore. It was a proprietary brand from this slumbrj company. It got replaced and cant get a name what is used now. :rolleyes: The place I found in midland warehouses for slumbrj, but this lady said good luck finding someone there to get it put in her inventory when they dont sell it anymore.

I swear at this point we'd have better luck calling maryfkingKay and trying to buy it from them!:mad::mad:

18. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You need to ask what the rig pigs call it, then ask for that. Rest assured it is not organophilic clay.

Best,
    Kelly

19. Mach

Mach Silver

It'll be a smaller drilling chemical supply house that will work with you. Unless you can find someone that works a drilling location that will give you a couple of sacks, Schlumberger's the wrong place to be looking. It'd be like calling SWA to buy aircraft tools.

There's a couple of smaller ones here in Houston and East Texas. Is this the same Bentone that they add to paint?

https://www.earthpigments.com/bentone-hd/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021