Welding helmet advice?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Feb 23, 2018.

1. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I do know old habits are hard to break, and especially when the men with the oldest habits are making the decision not to allow you to.

2. Frank Clark

Frank Clark Copper

If there were some certifiable standards, like there are for racing helmets, then shops/employers could say "You can use any helmet with a XYZ2017 or later sticker". That would keep out the old and the crap...

3. Robert

Robert Silver

Zap- there must have been something wrong with that helmet you were using if you got a cornea burn. I have had that happen with a flip helmet but never since I went to autodark. As stated earlier, in failure mode they should still provide a 3-4 filter and not allow a burn. I can't speak to professional welders laying down miles of wire per year but for your needs you will never have an issue.
    Robert

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Gotcha I'll be using the miller from now on.

I even changed the batteries on the other no-name brand and it still has a weird on/off issues. I think its busted, I might give it back or take it to the welding shop and see whats up.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

My Stryker flashed me twice last month. No eye pain, but after the 2nd time, I went to a batteries plus at 9pm and got some new batteries. Been okay so far, I think these helmets do best when used regularly. I toss mine out in the sun every now and then, who knows if it does any good, it makes me feel better.

Red97 likes this.