What does your sand smell like?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by my_account_todoist, Apr 13, 2021.

1. I've never seen this topic discussed, but surely we've all thought about it! When you've done a pour, the sand lets off a bunch of scented steam - no way around that. And I wonder if that scent is going to be the same around the world.
    Here goes mine: cinnamon buns. Distinct scent of cinnamon buns. Always get a bit hungry after a pour...

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Burnt polystyrene.......;)

Best,
    Kelly

3. rocco

rocco Silver

You need to get together with someone using molassas sand, add a ginger to the mix and it'll smell like Christmas:D

4. KDM

KDM Copper

Feet. My DIY greensand smells of feet when it's steaming hot. <barf>

5. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

totally depends on what you are putting in it , with wood flour you get a subtle burning wood, not smoke, but burning wood, as mentioned above if you are adding any sugars, you get sweet smell like antifreeze ,

what metal you are casting also affects the smell, steel casting makes a smell like an industrial rock cutting or drilling operation,

V/r HT1
    P.S. petrobond smells like you are doing an oil change with the car hot hot hot

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Funny you mention this, when I take a shower after spending an afternoon cutting up a bunch of steel, I smell like iron or rust when the water hits me. Gotta be the metal dust in my hair.

7. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

wait until the neighborhood cats decide your heap is a litterbox
    :-(
    V/r HT1