When it is too cold to pour.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by OMM, Feb 13, 2021.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

Have fun and enjoy life. (The ice is a over a foot think.) -14°C here today.

For the Americans and the rest of the world happy Valentine's Day.

For for my fellow Canucks, happy Valentine's Day and happpppy Family day. Enjoy the statutory holiday.

Getting cold is sometimes fun toooo!

CEA53328-6A71-4538-B61E-9B57652AB365.jpeg

C1B04891-E448-4D65-AB72-0C36566EDAFF.jpeg

6-8 months ago.

07A36B1B-A4C5-48E9-8AF7-6CA5314A154F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Wow! I have been casting in 12 deg F for the last two days but with wind chill I don't know what it is. But I get frozen unless I use my furnace as a recliner well it is running. :D
    Patrick

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nice looking place there Matt.

It's -6F ambient here in the central US at the moment and that's not a wind chill! We're going to send your cold air back to you next week Matt. I can cast when it's this cold but don't like to. With the electric furnace I melt and mold inside in shirt sleeve environment then just lift the garage door wheel the mold out and pour outside.

But when it is this cold, especially if it is windy, a thin stream of pouring aluminum really loses heat in a hurry. How much I'm not sure but it quickly freezes a long thin drip on the pouring spout of the crucible. I have a few things ready to cast but I'll wait until next week when it's closer to freezing......+40F warmer than now!

Best,
    Kelly

OMM likes this.
  4. dennis

dennis Silver

14 foot drifts = calling card for The Sand-Man!

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

The little ones look delighted Matt. As long as my fingers and toes are warm I'm still pretty good in my unheated workshop and I've got stuff to do out there. Don't get me wrong, heat would be better! I can work with cold oil and could bring my sand inside overnight to warm it for molding (if I were so inclined), but we're under a foot of packed-down crusted snow, 2-3 feet in the blown in areas around the shed. You know, the layer that's been on the ground and settled in for weeks. So pouring is out of the question for now.
    But you've lit a fire under me so to speak. Maybe I'll strap on the snowshoes and go for a walk in the woods.

Pete

6. OMM

OMM Silver

It is a nice getaway place. It took almost 4 years of Sparetime from myself, my brother, my father and my mother to build it with almost no outside help.( Two excavators, one Stone slinger and three dump trucks and 4 cement trucks.)

It was stick and frame built salt box walk out. It took two years putting the buildings up and additional two years doing the plumbing and drywall and electrical…. work hard and relax even harder.:)

If you're ever bored and in the area, drop in. Rice lake Ontario

7. Jason

Jason Gold

We actually got SLAMMED with snow today. I'm guessing we got about 6-8inches. My short dog is leaving 3 tracks when HE walks through the snow. I'll leave you guys to figure that one out.

dennis likes this.
  8. Been too hot and humid here, been getting my ducks in a row for an early morning session: by the time I'm all set up the neighbours will be at work.

9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I figured you might be on fire watch this time of year. Do you get exempted because you're coastal, or is my timing off?

Pete

10. It's the monsoon season in a La Nina year, it was pretty dry not so long ago and I was watering daily to keep stuff alive but now there's almost daily showers especially at night. I'm on the coast but we still get some bushfires from time to time, not nearly as bad as down South though. The humidity really knocks it out of you though, any small effort makes you soaking wet.

dennis likes this.