Which one of you are into bugs

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Jul 20, 2020.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

If you've got the stomach for it... a spray bottle of bleach, another bottle of spray nine, a can of raid, a squirt bottle with varsol and to top it all off a can of WD-40 or 3-in-one... Will bring most critters to a halt. My mother was a flip-flop ninja in my/her younger days, now she is a Birkenstock ninja.

The electric tennis racket is also good fun. I have one in my shop.

2. That's a clever way to get rid of a nasty problem, my maggot story involves working in an entomology lab where we bred Bactrocera fruit flies by the kilogram in mango fruit. So we had maybe 40 temperature controlled freezer rooms loaded with hundreds of mangos infested with hundreds of fruit fly larvae each. Each mango sat on a cloth hammock surrounded by sawdust so the maggots could jump out of the fruit into the sawdust and form a pupa that looked like a grain of puffed brown rice. The experiments were run, the pupae get sieved from the sawdust and weighed and counted by hand. A new hire was counting pupae with me and she hits a dead pupa which bursts and rotten smelly pus juice comes out. She holds onto her lunch like a trooper and recovers well, then our boss comes into the room, looks over her shoulder and says: "Ah I see you just got an eclair" referring to the popped pupa. She ran out the room to the nearest sink and let loose, after that she quit the job a day later.

bactrocera.jpg

OMM and Jason like this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Mark, that is one incredible looking bug. Impressive photo.

4. Cute, but they do a lot of damage to crops and the worst variants will sting green fruit on the tree. Fortunately cold storage just above freezing for a week or so will kill them in every stage of their life cycle. Any country that has a freezing winter can never have an outbreak.