WTF cast iron bronze??

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Gonna defer this one to our resident metallurgists...
    What says you?

2. OMM

OMM Silver

There is a company called Ampco that introduces small amounts of cast iron into their aluminum bronze. I’ve heard of in their specialized stuff 10% cast-iron. They also add up to 5% nickel in some of their mix alloy.

Ampco aluminum bronze has created a name for itself as a superior product in the tooling industry.

They publish some of their alloys right on line. Their 15 & 18 are very popular.
    https://www.ampcometal.com/products/aluminum-bronze/ampco-15/

I’ve never heard of, high as 25% cast iron.

3. Some aluminium bronze has 3% iron (edit: up to 6%) in it and a strong magnet will stick to it, so I guess this has a higher iron content than 3%.

4. OMM

OMM Silver

Machining aluminum bronze that has more than 6% cast-iron in it or 5% nickel almost needs ceramic inserts (sometimes you can get away with carbide). It is one of the most wear resistant materials.

- it has high wear resistance
    - it is very forgeable cold and hot (to a limit)
    - and it has very little elastic strength

It’s characteristics change with every melt. This video, i’d like to see him drill through the poured Ingot with a half inch drill and show the results. Then re-melt and re-drill.

5. dennis

dennis Silver

One of Ironsides' vids speaks of "PMG metal" - a species of Silicon Bronze - that has a small amount of Iron. He made this stuff using copper and 75% (?) ferrosilicon...

6. Jason

Jason Gold

I still don't understand this video.. Look at 26:33 that looks like shit. Small amounts of odd ball metals are commonly found in everything, but when the kitchen tongs and the scale comes out, I often question the validity and purpose. WTF do I know, he's the one with almost 7k subs? No one watches my stuff.

I think what he made here at these levels is just shitty bronze that will rust in weird spots. I'll do you one better.

Look at this million dollar art piece! I filmed this recently in Branson. It is a spectacular piece and I haven't caught up with Fritz to find out what's happening to the back of the helmets. And this rust spot is on almost every one of similar shape! I have a theory this piece was painted green. Forced green patina's generally don't do well outside or take years to happen naturally. Even then they aren't usually this DARK green. So, yeah I kind of think it's paint covering god only knows whats under it. My guess is someone F-d up pretty bad closing up the back of the helmets and used steel filler wire. At one point, I bet they cleaned off the rust once already and touched up with paint. So to make it right would require some serious surgery and it will never happen.

20201201_144907.jpg

20201201_144931.jpg

Some of you here saw this video. For those that missed it, here ya go.