YGBSM

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Really? Anyone know anything about this BS? Is this just another asinine law that got quietly shoved up the south side of Americans when we weren't paying attention??

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. I was under the impression that freshly broken/crushed silica with sharp edges are a risk due to irritation, while good old common silica sand is more worn/rounded and therefore not a risk. A nearby council tried to hassle a foundry that used silica sand on the assumption that it was as dangerous as a sandblasting operation using silica sand that generates fine sharp dust constantly. They were reminded that is was exactly the same beach sand used around council saltwater pools, golf courses, pre school sandpits and several public amenities managed by said council. They went away, possibly to decide if they needed to sue themselves for pollution and maybe hire a qualified environmental officer.

Whoever made that second video was using dimensional units of micrometres instead of micrograms.

3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

nothing you included applies to the Foundry industry, the second video is directed at the construction industry... I admit the law is ... Extreme, and in my opinion unwarranted...
    I use Petrobond which while it contains Silica, non of it is loose because of the oil, of course California considers the burning oil to be a pollutant and has banned it (commercially)... California really wants to put many of it's manufacturing industries out of business, they will get the clue when all industry has moved to neighboring states and Californians get to pay a premium for shipping, but we really should not get into California's inability to understand simple economics.

V/r HT1

4. Jason

Jason Gold

HT1, While this doesn't pertain to anyone in the hobby world, someone here.... possibly you (who doesn't turn a buck from foundry work) IS effected by this BS if you deal with certain parts of what is common in our world. (sand blast cabinet????) Your p-bond might be safe as kittens and bunny rabbits, but my garage is littered with silica due to ceramic shell, slurry, bags of silica and a blasting cabinet just to name a few..... Your P-bond probably doesn't require an msds, but everything I touch has one!

Being this is the off topic section, I had never heard of this one until yesterday. Without getting too political, it shows the downright ignorance of the leftist mentality to snatch up this little thing called personal responsibility every man should possess, but our government doesn't think our citizens are capable of demonstrating without draconian regulations. From the BS I see flowing out of Californication, I am not surprised. We work on airplanes right? You should see the kind of work we attempt WITHOUT the use of MEK in that damn state! Impossible is one word for it. And god forbid you even think about sneaking in a gallon of the stuff. If you think your p-bond is safe from the long reach of the EPA, you better think again buddy! These people are morons and will not stop at anything to outlaw ANYTHING that might contain even trace amounts of silica. Laugh now, but wait until they try to ban a weekend outing to the beach unless you wear a respirator with a hepa filter shoved up your ass. Btw, a few extra dollars in shipping wont stop these clowns. That is a sideways form of taxation and doesn't work in the land of fruits and nuts. People still smoke out there and $13 bucks a pack didnt stop them either.;)

Penny for your thoughts brother??
    Mark is the Australian version of our EPA outta control there too?
    ..... I know HT knows what YGBSM, but I'm surprised no one else asked..:p

5. It depends on the type of silica encountered, beach sand is silica, silica gel is a form of pure silica bought as kitty litter, fumed silica is used to thicken epoxies, cosmetics and also food like sauces and toothpastes.
    Wacker HDK N20 Nutrition is such a product, I use it to thicken resins as it's a thixotropic agent. It may be necessary to point this out to those who are unaware of the various forms of silica. I use garnet blasting media as it's dust is considered harmless by comparison to silica.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  6. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I did ask... google. :D

Jeff

7. JoeC

JoeC Copper

It is a YUGE deal in the foundry industry

Silicosis is a horrible way to die, its not the beach sand its the little sparklies you see in a beam of light that are the problem

The new limits are very low, and industry cant go direct to PPE (respirators) until all engineering controls are in place and shown not to meet the limits

So millions will be spent on dust collection that will be ineffective

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm pretty sure the glass beads I use in my leaky HF blasting cabinet are bad right?

I was in a fighter squadron working on F-16s in germany back in the '90s and our mission was first strike.. (nukes) Later we changed over to the wild weasle mission. All our 16 drivers wore the ygbsm patch. That's when I first heard of this. The concept of getting lit up by enemy radar just so your wingman can see them is mind boggling.

9. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I hate to point out the obvious, But why in the world is anyone using silica in a sand blaster???, there are so many much better medias, garnet was mentioned , and gives results similiar to silica, steel grit gives a slightly different finish but lasts almost indefinitely. Steel shot gives a peened finish nice in some applications, and with a good dust collector lasts extremely well . then there is walnut and plastic beads, I have not seen a sandblaster purposely using silica since the 1980's and even that was a temporary fix to a shortage of real blast media... some ass hat put an oil cooler in the sand blaster with it still full, 2 gallons of oil played havoc to the blast media when they knocked out the plug.

V/r HT1

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Glass beads???? Has got to have some silica in it... It's glass after all?

11. _Jason

_Jason Silver

I used silica powder to pull the oil left behind after glazing stained glass windows for years. Wear the appropriate respirator and the boogey man won't get you.

Same thing with the miles of lead solder I laid while building those windows. If anything, my lead levels went down after I started working with it. Just practice common sense safety when working with stuff that'll hurt you and you'll be fine.

12. JoeC

JoeC Copper

Glass is a different form of Silica, seems to be reported as safe. The crystalline Silica in sand is the bad stuff. Would still wear PPE, respirator not mask due to small particle size

Our long ago closed foundry in town had sand, asbestos and of course everyone smoked, and manly men didn't wear masks - a perfect storm. Many gruesome deaths, lawsuits still ongoing

We used to glass bead blast our permanant molds before they were re coated, every so often they needed a little dusting with sand to give the metal a tooth for the die coat to adhere to, the glass bead left too fine of a finish

We used glass beads for road paint lines, they were Nepheline Syenite non silica we thought

Now the industry uses dry ice blasting, noisy and expensive but no die steel erosion so worth

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Joe. I'm sealing the daylights out of my POS harbor freight box. It was leaking like a sieve. It lives on wheels too, so now it's easy to wheel it out into the driveway. A decent dusk mask should be all I need now. I have a good 3m respirator, but when you have 5 minutes of blasting work, it sucks to put on. Not a manly man thing, more of a lazy man thing. lol

14. OCD

OCD Silver

Hook a 5 gallon dry vac w/ a Looooong hose to the exhaust port with a HEPA filter as well.

Pull that thing completely apart , clean and start squirting out the silicone to seal.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

IMG_20171103_42312.jpg

anyone getting limited due to file size... try photo resizer for Android. works good.

16. Robert

Robert Silver

Northern Tool has a blast media called Black Diamond. Some kind of slag. Give it a try. Works great and is cheap. Damn, I hope its not silica???
    Robert

17. Jason

Jason Gold

thanks robert.. next time I need media, I'll give it a try.

18. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

B
    Not sure about Black Diamond but the original Black Beauty is coal slag aka cinders. I've used it and it does cut well but Black Beauty has also evolved into a brand name and they offer glass, iron, and maybe other abrasives materials too.

http://www.blackbeautyabrasives.com/products/

Best,
    K

19. Robert

Robert Silver

20. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hmmm, I couldn't get that link to open but one of the claims of BlackBeauty products is very low free silica and safer substitute for open air blasting. BlackBeauty was introduced by Harsco minerals which among many other things also make refractory products. Sometimes manufacturers offer a discounted product under a different name so as not to compromise their primary product pricing but just as often it is imitators and given it is HF, that could be an import product, but man....importing coal slag....???? It's plentiful as and cheap as dirt here in the states so all abut the processing and packaging (and marketing?) I suppose.

Best,
    Kelly