New member from Manitoba, Canada

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Manitoba Man, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

My name is Bob and I am addicted to tinkering.

My drugs are: machining, welding, you tube, casting aluminum, taking things apart and building mechanical things.

Current projects:
    1.) Case 4x4 articulating garden tractor, a project my Dad left behind when he died 7 years ago.
    2.) Selling six homemade mill/lathe kits I need to get rid of
    3.) A Suzuki GS1150 sidecar project
    4.) A near hopeless 1992 Dodge 4X4 flat deck, hillbilly dump truck project I really don't need
    5.) Promised my wife I would sell my 96 Miata in spring to pay for the camper trailer we bought. Its hard to let go of it.
    6.) 2000 Suzuki Vitara 4 door needs homemade bumpers fixed and minor rusty repair. Its a driver and works well but you know how it goes with 20 year old vehicles.
    7.) Clean up electrical installation of treadmill variable control on DIY mill/lathe.
    8.) Find out who keeps messing up my workshop/garage.

Goal: To escape COVID alive and finish at least one major project while still alive.

Bob

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hey Bob, welcome. I'm similarly afflicted and have the same mystery to solve as your #8.

Best,
    Kelly

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Bob,
    I feel your pain but you don't have to go it alone lol. Let's have a look at your casting setup. We love pictures here.

Pete

4. #8: Shed Fairies!!:rolleyes:....also welcome!.

5. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

My neighbour claims the neighbour kids must have been in the shop. Shed fairies works too.

6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Can you tell us a little more about these?

Best,
    Kelly

7. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

Yes Kelly about these lathe kits. They were developed and made about 35 years ago in Edmonton Alberta by two friends. They are basically a 3 foot mill/lathe with some cast iron parts mounted on a 6"x6"x1/4" wall square tube. Likewise the headstock, which has 8" of vertical travel. The ways are 3/4" hydraulic cylinder rod. The cross slide table is 6"x12" with a central t-slot. The kit does not come with a drive train or gearing for threading.

The owner of the remaining six kits gave them two me three years ago. Love had struck him hard and he moved to Newfoundland to be with his partner. His whole shop could not follow her though.

The kits are very well crated but lack instructions. I do have copies of assembly pics. A motivated and mechanically adept person can assemble them with a hacksaw, a drill press and a tap and die set. I know, because I assembled one.

Let me know how to get pictures to you. I am no salesman and need suggestions on pricing. I live one hour north of the North Dakota border. I can weigh one kit in the crate.

Regards
    Bob

8. rocco

rocco Silver

Why not just post them here?

Tobho Mott likes this.
  9. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome from Ontario!

Jeff

10. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

Attached Files:

11. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

Kelly
    Here is a completed mill/lathe by the kit builders. I can imagine a few talented guys could add any features they want, including CNC . Once I figure out where and how I can post build pics. I might have to read the instructions.

Regards
    Bob

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome Bob. What is that car in your Avatar? I should know what it is, but it escapes me... I wanna say Crosley??

I promise, I won't say anything about your hairdresser miata.

13. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Really Jagboy?
    Looks like a MK to me. I could be wrong but that's my first impression.
    I once owned a '53 MK VII.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

It almost looks like an S, but its not. Grille is too short.

15. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I'm thinking '50's MKII.

16. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

Attached Files:

17. Jason

Jason Gold

SO what is it????

It's NOT A JAG! They never used ugly side molding like that on a wing or across the front.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Found it. Saab 92. Not a bad looking car, much better than the period volvos.
    BonhamsParis2014_351_Saab_1957_93_Coupe_31575_.jpg

Now for you guys that thought this was a jag. Tell me what this car is?:p
    If you are from germany, do not answer. I know you know what it is.;)

111.jpg

19. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

Close Jason. Mine was the 1963 96 SAAB bullnose as it was called. I put an 850 cc SAAB engine in it from a 67 I had. Three cylinder two stroke. Awesome little car designed by aircraft engineers. The Cd of .32 aerodynamic drag was incredibly low for the time.

Bob

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Save me from looking this up... Was the saab air cooled? I see no one here recognizes a Borgward Isabella. Pretty little german cars. Rare as can be.
    You still have the saab?

image.jpg