FE - 351 Cleveland Inline Carb Intake Manifold

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

This is probably my best combination of CAD, CAM, lost foam casting, and casting machining to date. I suppose I could throw automotive induction theory in there too. It’s basically a 351 Cleveland Inline Autolite Carburetor Intake Manifold but it’s designed to fit Jay Brown’s FE Ford Series intake adapter. For those of you that know Ford FE engines, the pushrods run through the intake manifold, as did the coolant circuit and distributor, so any time you wanted to get at the lifters, you had to remove the intake which also meant you needed to remove the distributor, push rods, and break the coolant circuit. The adapter uses modified 351c intake manifolds as a dry intake and allows access to the lifter valley with everything else staying intact and in place. -Pretty slick set up for an FE engine.

1 FE Intake Adapter.jpg

The pattern pieces were fairly straight forward except the central pieces (runners and carb plenum). It really stretched me in my CAD skills but I learned a lot and as a result am now to the point where I’m pretty comfortable with Alibre CAD. David, you were right, Alibre is great value for money. I’m running v27 Design Professional. Those two pattern center pieces had a lot of functional constraints that included equal runner length, 20% taper in runner cross sectional area, defined plenum volume, carb positioning to accommodate stock distributor location, and provide adequate hood clearance.

It requires two-sided, 3D stepover ball nose, CNC machining, of two, 24” x 12” x 3” inch XPS blocks. 3” depth of cut on 3” high stock is at the absolute Z-limit of what I can do with my existing CNC machine (or so I thought!).

I used CamBam for CAM. During the CAD design work, I had to add some holding tabs to the 3D model to hold the pattern in the machining frame while being cut by the CNC Router. There is a command function for doing this in CamBam for 2D/2.5D machining, but in 3D, I must import those features. CamBam seems to like .stl files for surfaces so I export the solids as such. There were a variety of other mods to the parting lines and machining frame I had to incorporate for easier CAM programming and machining.

I use Camotics as a simulation program to test the g-code files and observe results and run times. Without simulation, I’d waste a ton of time and have a big pile of scrap foam.

This all would have been an easier task with the new CNC Router I’m building (sighhh…., it’s coming but until then the show must go on!). Nearly all the machining was done with a single ¼” ball nose bit. It’s a lot of surface area and took about 90 minutes/side for each of the plenum/runner halves. I could have gotten some time out if I did the roughing with a bigger bit, but just being able to turn it on and let it run from start to completion without a tool change was worth more to me than a few minutes of run time. I’d rather clean the shop while it runs….because it needs it!

The other pieces were a combination of 2.5D and 3D CNC machining but comparatively straightforward to model and machine. So four pieces assemble into lower intake manifold, and the fifth bolts on as the Inline Carb adapter and there will be four versions of that last adapter casting.

2 Intake Flange.JPG 3 Carb Adapter.JPG 4 Runner Plenum exterior.JPG 5 Runner Plenum Exterior.JPG

This modular approach to the pattern is versatile and easy to adapt to other intakes and allows me to re-use many of the pieces and programming saving a lot of time on future projects.

6 Pattern Kit.JPG 7 Pattern Kit.JPG

So a little gluing and Assembly Fixture Work

8 Gluing Assembly.JPG

Then some sanding and detailing….

9 Intake Assy.JPG 10 Intake Assy.JPG 11 Intake Assy.JPG 12 Intake Assy.JPG

This is where I wanted to get to some 7 years ago when I started home metal casting……basically cast whatever I could dream up, and it took CAD and CAM to translate imagination into lost foam casting patterns, and evaporative pattern casting to get there. I can still remember on Alloy Avenue when I showed up as a total greenhorn with an A60 crucible, and Cast Iron Gypsy said oh my God, you are going to hurt (Kill!) yourself, tell me you have a crane, a pouring pit, or just start smaller. –….And thankfully I did & years later and a lot of shop-built foundry equipment since, here I am!

Here's sneak peek video of the finished pattern. You saw it here first!

Best,
    Kelly

BattyZ, Koen, Robert and 4 others like this.
  2. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Very nice Kelly! Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

3. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

That seam work seems pretty seamless! Excited to watch the rest of this progress!

4. Robert

Robert Silver

It's becoming pretty clear that you are using alien technology...

5. Al2O3

Got it dipped.

13 Dipped.JPG 14 Dipped.JPG

You guys know what comes next.....

Best,
    Kelly

6. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

7. Al2O3

.....bottle of beer and a football game!

Best,
    K

hatta and Tops like this.
  8. Al2O3

....a little internal drying assist....25 watts of boost!

15 Drying.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  9. Al2O3

Had good weather Tuesday so I got after it.

Gating attached.....

16 Gating Attached.JPG

Molded…..

16.1 Molded.JPG

Demolded....

17 Demolded.JPG

I didn’t quench this casting. Just let it cool and as usual used compressed air to blow off the refractory coating.....

18 Cooling.JPG

…and oh happy day!

19 Casting.JPG 20 Casting.JPG 21 Casting.JPG 22 Part Number.JPG

There is still 4lbs of gating and 1lb of machine stock on there so the casting will weigh ~11.5lbs…..pretty happy with that.

23 Weight.JPG

Will get heat treated and then on to machining.

Best,
    Kelly

PROSTOCKTOM, Koen, FishbonzWV and 6 others like this.
  10. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Just amazing!

PROSTOCKTOM likes this.
  11. Al2O3

Got the patterns for the four versions of the carb adapters made and gated. Also dip coated them. Hoping for good weather and to have a small casting session day after tomorrow.

24 Carb Adapters.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

PROSTOCKTOM likes this.
  12. Al2O3

Dip coated and ready to mold....and be evaporated!

25 Dipped.JPG

......and then they're metal.

26 Castings.JPG 27 Castings.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

13. Al2O3

After some time on the mill........

28 Mill Fixture.JPG 29 Mill Fixture.JPG

I got it finished up.....

30 Machined Casting.JPG 31 Machined Casting.JPG 32 Machined Casting.JPG 33 Machined Casting.JPG 34 Machined Casting.JPG 35 Machined Casting.JPG 36 On FE Adapter.JPG

The intake only weighs 9.5 lbs and the lid a little less than 1.5 lbs. That's super light for a cast intake manifold. The wall thickness is 3/16-1/4" except for the flanges which were cast a little over 1/2" thick and machined to 3/8". I'll be putting a video together.

Best,
    Kelly

14. Koen

Koen Silver

That's looking awesome pfew!!!

15. Al2O3

I'm liking it....

37 FE with Carb.JPG 38 FE with Filter.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

BattyZ, Tobho Mott, Rocketman and 2 others like this.
  16. Al2O3

I'll have a video of the completed ready to run system in the not too distant future. Here's the intake project.

Best,
    Kelly

17. Jarrad

Jarrad Lead

That is mind blowingly amazing work Kelly well done mate.

18. Al2O3