Carburetor Fuel Log

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Had a small casting session this morning. I like small projects like this. A handful of patterns can be made as quickly as one piece. After the patterns are prepped, it's so easy to mold and clean up a single 5 gallon flask and the whole job including clean up is done one hour after I flip the switch.

1 Nested CNC Pattern.JPG 2 Prepped Patterns and Mock Up.JPG 3 Gated and Treed.JPG 4 Dipped.JPG 5 Molded.JPG 6 As Cast.JPG 7 Degated.JPG

Here it is mocked up on the carb. It's very compact and gets the job done with a minimum number of fittings. The log uses all port style o-ring fittings. The two fuel wells are connected with a short piece of braided hose. I may make a sliding oring fitting at the lower position on the log to receive a hard line.

8 Mock Up and Carb.JPG 9 Close Up Mock Up.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Rocketman, BattyZ and Tops like this.
  2. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

The built-in fastener was a clever move.

3. Al2O3

Yah, without it the whole assembly and incoming fuel line would have been hanging on a single 1/8" npt aluminum fitting. Considering it's a fuel line, that gave me the shakes. So I tied it off to one of the carb mounting studs. Could also be used for remote mounting.

Best,
    Kelly

4. BattyZ

That is not a lot of cross-sectional area! Looks to be(or will be) a bolted connection now?

5. Al2O3

Got it machined up. Passed leak test. This one is a wrap.

10 Finished.JPG 11 Finished.JPG 12 Finished.JPG 13 finished.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

6. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

I remember some guy doing all this with a pin router. I am sure he still does on some stuff.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  7. Al2O3

You're right......and you were right!

Best,
    Kelly

8. BattyZ

I am sure you are making some Ford owners very happy!