Iron Pot Factory

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Meteor Monowatt, Dec 5, 2021.

1. metallab

metallab Silver

Broken cast steel jaw repair. Very challenging that the guy tries to repair it rather than scrapping it. Probably from an Eastern Europe country (Finland / Baltics / Poland / Czech ?) hearing from his accent.

2. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I need to send this on some Blacksmiths I know. They think one whiff of Zinc fumes and you're a dead man.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  3. Short clip of my smaller junk build melter. People laugh when they see it.:rolleyes:

https://youtube.com/shorts/VNdUNtR0FLk?feature=shared

Hot water heater shell with couple layers of sheet metal on the inside and floor. 15 lbs of aluminum in 35 min. Wood and waste oil fuel which I maual throw in. Blower on dimmer switch.

Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  4. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Thanks for the video. I am wishing I could do that much aluminum in one shot...If you are doing waste oil, could you add a drip tube and needle valve?

5. I had a oil feed system at one time. But it was just more stuff and a air hose to set up. I don't have a dedicated area for pouring so I have to move stuff back and forth on the drive way.

Tops likes this.
  6. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Every blacksmith I have met has the last word on metals and metallurgy. I had a look at one blacksmiths forge and asked him if he could melt cast iron in it. He said it would be easy and do it while I was there. He failed twice so I have never heard so many excuses as to why it failed. When he was finished with the excuses he said to me do you know that the white smoke and green flame that comes from molten brass is magnesium burning. Nuff said!

7. Jammer

Can't argue with Stupid. :rolleyes:

One of the first things I accomplished after I set up my forge was melting Iron. Unfortunately I was trying to melt glass in a cast iron ladle. They kind of melted both at the same time.

8. metallab

metallab Silver

Same story as Pakistan. Handling liquid cast iron without protection. Robots are unknown. And they are still using a cupola with coke which is a thing of the past !
    I think this is China (which is still very coal dependant), not Japan.
    Or it is filmed decades ago when safety regulations were not as strict as now. I see the product is cast iron gas burners which are gradually being phased out as induction cooking is getting more common and modern gas cooking stoves use aluminum alloy burners.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  9. Process x is shot in Japan. Subtitles will give you location info.

10. metallab

metallab Silver

Rebar factory in some Arab country. This is really dangerous: red hot rebars literally flying around the guys working there, some even wearing thong sandals on bare feet. All goes manually, looks like it is recorded in the 1960s or earlier.
    Modern steelworks making rebar do everything automatically with a few employees, most residing in a control room.

11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

How about the guy at minute 6:50? Not the job for me!

12. Jammer

I think this was recorded last month. They have no thought for safety. I was probably involved in making millions of tons of rebar over 17 years in the mill. Just an aluminized suit and a face shield is very protective. Oh, and shoes are a definite plus.

13. metallab

metallab Silver

Really nice video, particularly the molding. But at 5:28 he is melting the brass and standing in the zinc fumes and does not wear any PPE. A face mask is the least requirement, a respirator is better.