So today I managed to make some brass from scrap AC motor windings and some zinc ingots made from scrap anodes. This is the first time I've tried to do this so mistakes were made and I also wanted to try melting the zinc with the copper. My scrap enamelled copper ended up being 9.7 kilograms so with all the enamel and other bits of insulation I guessed 9.5 Kg of copper. I opted for "High Brass" which is 65% copper and 35% zinc and can be used for spring, screws, rivets etc., so that means I needed 5.12Kg of zinc. and one of the scrap ingots was 5.2Kg. I wanted to try dissolving the copper into molten zinc to avoid the fireworks so the zinc went into the new crucible and I packed as much copper wire as I could around it, maybe 1/3rd of the total as I could only get so much in, even by sorting the dense copper out and wadding up the loose wire into balls. Anyway I fired up the furnace and ran it low to preheat the furnace and new silicon carbide crucible: it's a Morgan AHM-25 which is supposed to be more flux resistant than a normal crucible and is a reddish brown colour. So the copper would get red hot, form globules of copper and I'd gently pack it down and add more copper, this is where I made my first mistake: I had a tight packed crust of semi solid copper on top along with maybe 1/4 of the zinc ingot, when I used a steel bar to break through the crust, into the liquid below the zinc got plunged in and reacted with the molten metal, blue flames, lots of white zinc smoke I avoided like the plague and suddenly I had nothing but 1/3rd of a crucible of molten metal (it melted any solids quickly like it was exothermic). The remaining copper got dumped in fast and began to melt when pushed below the surface. My second mistake was to skim to soon, I reckon I have 1-2 Kg of brass and unmelted copper skimmed out of the melt. I didn't use any flux which brass isn't supposed to need, but I think when using scrap metal it would be a big help. So after the pour into green sand with sea coal mixed in for iron, I let it cool for about an hour or so. My third mistake was pouring too hot and the surface finish was rough and nasty, never seen anything like it before with the brass forming spikes and needles in the sand. The three inch diameter bar casting had a 2" deep hole in the top from shrinkage and the 1.75" bars will likely have shrink defects too, I was warned about this when casting bar for machining use but there's wastage due to gripping the bar in the chuck jaws anyway, so you just add the scrap to the next melt. The castings needed to be hit with the belt grinder to take the nasty surface off and the 3" bar machined down to 2 & 7/8" to clean up fully and appears to be a sound casting at the end away from the top shrink defect. I got lucky and have a good casting although the smaller bars will likely have porosity and be rotten at the top due to the air cooling. Recycled zinc stash (free) Copper motor windings (free) Brass poured into the green sand, 1 x 3" and 2 x 1 & 7/8" 11.1Kg yield from 14.7Kg starting materials (lots of metal lost in the dross skimming) Surface finish close up: 3" bar finish after losing 1/8" off the diameter, so the casting was pretty sound.