Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Mantrid, Nov 13, 2021.
Sprues and pouring cup attached and ready for ceramic shell
Some images of shell application. I used an air gun to dry the core. A tube was also used for the main core
Thought Id do my first Youtube video. Gotta move with the times I suppose
Just two very small hair line cracks, easily patched. No rattling bits inside so looks like everything is intact. Now I need to order a larger crucible before I proceed. My current one might be able to do it full to the brim but Ive put too many hours in to risk it
Cheap A8 crucible purchased.
Unfortunately working away from home until next begining of next month so long wait before i can do any casting with it. I saw a video of them making crucibles in india or somewhere like that, and they used straw between the crucibles as protection. This one had straw in it. Do they use straw in better quality western produced crucibles?
This is how morgan makes them.
Casting my shark and coral sculpture.
Excuse the heavy breathing, the camera was right next to my face.
First pour in 9 years. What can go wrong?
Wow, very eventful! (trying not to spoil it)
Looking forward to seeing the next installment.
Did you ever figure out the issue with the one burner?
No. Its a mystery.
I used it in exactly the same way to fire the shell and burn out the wax and it worked fine. The only difference was that I had the burner enter on the left side rather than the right.
The kiln really made you work for it! Looking forward to pictures with the shell off...
Yes. Panic was setting in.
Pretty good scramble with kiln burner. Made me pucker a little when the weed burner fell out and the flame was momentarily on the LP bottle. Glad you were there to quickly remedy that. Hopefully the rest of the casting is there and you can cast and graft a shark onto the casting. Seems odd since it didn't fill since it was the bottom of the casting. Air locked?
Been sand blasting it today. Apart from the shark and a couple of minor issues it cast really well as far as the detail is concerned.
Yes I think you are correct blockage of the vent is the probable cause trapping air in the back half of the shark. The only vent was a very narrow space where the tail made contact with one of the corals. The whole of the main part of the shell must have filled up with metal before all the air could escape throught this narrow passage.
Some pics of the casting. Not cleaned up fully as I dont have any proper blasting media at the moment. Just used normal sand that couldnt quite get into the smaller crevices.
The defects close up
The shark didnt fill. The vent for the air was too narrow and probably got blocked
The stub in the centre should have had a branched coral on the end
The outer leaf of this coral is incomplete and the blob on the next leaf in shouldnt be there.
The lip of this sponge is incomplete and the holes shouldnt be there.
On the other side of this flower like coral the leaf is also incomplete
Tops of these tube like sponges are incomplete
Not too bad considering the complexity of it and its my first casting for nine years.
Things to do different.
Wider sprue entering the shark
Pour at higher temp to aid filling out the areas closer to the pouring cup.
More metal so pouring cup is filled to create higher pressure.
I wont try to repair this as welding will be tricky and Im out of practice. I will use this to practice the many patinas I intend to use on this piece.
I have another wax ready for sprueing soon.
Separate names with a comma.