1956 buick build

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by DavidF, Jul 15, 2020.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Worked a bit on that inner panel today.
    Didn't make sense to put alot of work into fabricating a panel that would never bee seen.
    So I'm just capping the end of it, then tying another panel into it to seal up the hole.
    Still have to sand blast the area. Will weld it up tomorrow...
    20200814_132322.jpg 20200814_132346.jpg 20200814_132545.jpg 20200814_153052.jpg

Clay likes this.
  2. DavidF

Was contemplating building a bead roller for a couple of the panels I need to fabricate. But after browsing the internet for a couple of days I figured the fastest way to point b was the check book. Took a trip to Eastwood today and picked one up for $140.00.
    Here it is, the new combination bead roller/ log splitter..
    20200822_151937.jpg

Also working on some shop clean up and installing shelving before the lift shows up.
    More on that later

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

The chinese are indeed a necessary evil.

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I had two of those given to me. Most people buy them just for the dies (think I have 6 or 7 sets) and gears to roll their own, or they stiffen the frame and put a gear motor on them. It's ok for occasional use and light stuff but will eventually piss you off and you'll build one.

Did you get a 2 or 4-post? It was 15 years ago but I went four with rolling jack and platform. Not quite as accessible for under car work but safer and good for storage.

Best,
    Kelly

5. DavidF

4 post on wheels....
    Older cars have frames that flex like noodles, would be afraid to lift a model a on a 2 post.

6. Al2O3

Quality of life goes up. Beats the poo out of laying on cold concrete in the winter time.......plus you can stack'em like HotWheels. This is at my old place. Had to high-lift the garage door.

DSC00791.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

7. DavidF

Gawd, what a mess!! Most of this crap has been sitting in the floor since the move. Man I have collected too much crap over the years.
    Going to get all cleaned up and organized over the next week or so. Shelves are going up and its starting to look a little better....
    20200823_125833.jpg 20200823_125852.jpg 20200823_130050.jpg

dtsh, Tobho Mott and Clay like this.
  8. DavidF

Well now the whole back of the garage is all storage shelving. But will it be enough? :rolleyes:
    20200824_124606.jpg

9. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Never enough...

John, Al2O3 and DavidF like this.
  10. Al2O3

+1

K

11. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

+1

12. DavidF

Just a wee bit more to put up. Starting to get some floor space back :D.
    Moya has his milling machine and some other crap over here taking up space that's supposed to be out next week. :rolleyes:
    Should have done all this awile ago, but work had me jammed up with way too much over time...
    20200829_124624.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  13. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

David F:

Any more progress on the Buick, or are you still rearranging the shop? I know how those kind of projects have a tendency to snowball on you.

Don

14. DavidF

Still cleaning up shop, going to pick up the lift next week. Went out and picked up a 9" for the buick today. Should be a perfect fit :cool:
    bought a power drive for the bead roller and have been practicing with it a bit, and also got a shrinker stretcher. Tomorrow's project will be building a stand for it out of whatever I have laying around, after I cut the front lawn.
    Worked on disassembling all the chrome last weekend. I'll be going back out to Kentucky next month to drop it all off to the platers. Damn rechroming is more than I paid for the car and donor vehicle combined :mad:

Definitely not snowballed, my dad registered the car for the nationals in August next year, so I will have to bust my ass to get it done:eek::eek:
    Once i get the lift put together ill be going like scat.
    The unfortunate thing with this car is that there is no aftermarket body panels available, so i have to fabricate everything by hand. I've been enjoying it :D.

20200918_165635.jpg 20200918_165601.jpg 20200918_165728.jpg

Clay and Tobho Mott like this.
  15. DavidF

You might be a redneck if,
    You ever used your front porch as an axle puller....
    20200919_130427.jpg

16. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Did the exact same thing with a landing gear strut a week ago! Chain one end, ratchet strap the other.

Only difference it was two supporting legs for the mezanine floor.

17. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Nice huge shop. Very jealous.
    Mark

DavidF likes this.
  18. DavidF

I've been playing around with the shrinker stretcher a bit working on the roof of the car where the rear glass goes in. Its a neat tool, but takes a bit to get used to. Got frustrated and grabbed the torch and did the old heat and bend ( much faster) :D.
    Started cutting out the old and splitting spot welds. I'm still not 100% happy with the fitment so I'll probably spend a few more hours fitting it up before I weld it in.
    Ordered a couple bushings to check out for when I make the 4 link up for the rear. More on that later.
    Also picking up the lift on Friday, some assembly required :rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    20200922_125752.jpg 20200922_131124.jpg 20200922_132750.jpg

FishbonzWV, dtsh and Tobho Mott like this.
  19. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Heat and beat is faster. But if you can learn the shrinker/stretcher it's more consistent and dang near as fast! (I only have a little practice on one don't have one in the shop but they're nice tools for lips and things). Dave I know one guy that uses a break to bend the window lip (or gutters) then uses the shrinker/stretcher to put the curve in the end. If you don't have a break the bead roller with a set of tipping dies can do the same thing, it can distort the metal a bit more. For larger gentler bends never underestimate your knee/thigh or a welding tank :D as a form tool.

20. DavidF

I do have a break. Old pexto that I'm going to make some adjustments on later today.
    Had to take a sick day to take my old dog to the vet. I think he had a cist that burst or something.
    Pretty gross, oozing, and he is being crankey.
    20200923_111802.jpg 20200923_102746.jpg