'49 Caddy Tail Light & Signal Buckets

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Sounds like a plan.

Best,
    Kelly

2. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Looks good Kelly. I'm inclined to attribute that to ambient temperature. the metal has farther to run with your water necks with comparable thickness and they fill without that last little fold.

3. Al2O3

Could be. In some respects given it is the absolute furthest point from the in gate, where the pour has lost most all of its heat......but, I have seen quite a few pours that have that same characteristic flaw at the very end of the metal travel path in pours where I know there was sufficient heat.......classic fold flaw where two oxidized metal fronts converge. Seems even more prevalent where there is a void in the pattern or the mold is destabilized causing the same. With one-off parts of this complexity, you place your bets and take your chances. In similar situations, I have added a bob at the very bottom of the part, poured with the exact same conditions, filled the bob, and no fold flaw.

Best,
    Kelly

4. Al2O3

Cast the third tail light bucket today. No issues.

39.JPG 40.JPG 41.JPG 42.JPG 43.JPG

My work here is done. Jack, they’re ready to come home.

Best,
    Kelly

_Jason likes this.
  5. Jack Meckes

Jack Meckes Copper

Thank you. Much appreciated.

6. Wait! That car has three tail lights?

:D

DavidF likes this.
  7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

so whats next on the tail lights?? will they just be polished up or sent out for chrome??

8. Jack Meckes

Jack Meckes Copper

There are two for the right side. One has some casting flaws, so If I can't save it I'll use the other. Weld the flawed areas then grind and sand them into shape and polish them. The platers don't like doing cast aluminum. It expands and contracts a lot with temperature changes and chrome doesn't. The plating can crack. They'll do it but they'll tell you it might crack.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Be sure to post a picture when you get them finished up :cool:

10. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

Wow, Awesome job on these Kelly. I keep getting great ideas here! Please update us with both the finished tail light housings and the car!

11. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Kelly, somewhere you mentioned that you don't return your crucible to the furnace because you have a hard time pulling the aluminum skull that remains. I have always used a clay graphite for my aluminum and when I open the cold furnace days later, I can just pull this shell in one draw. I have switched to a silicon carbide crucible on the last couple aluminum pours and ran into the same thing you did. It doesn't clean easily like the clay graphites.
    IMG_20190309_124352.jpg

12. Al2O3

You recall correctly ESC. Hmmmm. All of my crucibles are Morgan Super Salamander Clay Graphite. No SiC. When I left them in the furnace, the residual metal stuck and was more oxidized. Sometimes the adhesion was so bad it would pull the glaze off the crucible if I tried to remove it. Now I just sit them on a fire brick and ever since I stopped leaving them in the hot furnace I can easily pull the skin and small heal in a single piece leaving the crucible clean as a whistle. Here's the last skin/heal I pulled.

Heal.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

13. Al2O3

14. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

Looks Great!!

15. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Those are going to look Sharp polished up!! Nice work both of you!

16. Al2O3

That's Jack's handy work fellas. I just poured molten metal on his foam patterns for him. He does have a nice project going though, that's for sure.

Best,
    Kelly

17. Al2O3

Couple of more pieces for the Caddy. A couple of mirror stands and four back up sensor housings.

46.JPG

Took the most direct approach to spruing the mirror stands. I tree’d up the sensor housings and added some contact area. The barrels on the sensor housings are only about 1/8” thick so I may need to reach into my bag of tricks for them.

47.JPG

Coated and ready to go.

48.JPG

Jack must have confidence in me because he sends me patterns for the exact number of pieces he needs. ;)

Best,
    Kelly

18. Jack Meckes

Jack Meckes Copper

19. Very nice work on the patterns.:)

20. Al2O3

I poured Jack’s parts today. -Nothing fancy.

I did use vacuum assist on the back up sensor housings since they were thin and a bit dainty. On those it was either going to be total success or total failure. Here’s the prep for the vacuum assisted pour.

49.JPG 50.JPG

Here’s a short video of the pour.

Here’s the aftermath.

51.JPG
    52.JPG

….and here they are de-gated and cleaned up. They came out just fine.

53.JPG

-Coming back at ya Jack.

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott likes this.