Alloying Metals?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by OCD, Nov 23, 2017.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Now why would you want to do that?? :eek::eek:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. stupid spell check.. That was suppose to say RETIRE...

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I don't think its spell check bro. I think it's a predictive substitution.lol
    Anyway, no rush Jason. I've met some of those guys- present company not included. Keep working. It keeps you sharp!

Pete

4. DavidF

Or it could have been some unknown moderator editing his text and having some fun......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ROFLMAO.....

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Ahhh... Now that I can believe.... :oops:

6. DavidF

Cheer up, at least I didnt mail mail you and undersized BP. lol....

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Does that mean you've just sent Jason an oversized one?

It's either that, or the extra texture on yours just isn't making up for its lack of meaty girth as you'd hoped...:eek:

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Whaaaaaaaat???

That might explain my weird silicone bronze alloying results.

Isn't there a weight to weight ratio out there for silicone bronze?

I will need more bronze for the chicken. I'll probably buy some this next month.

9. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Note, a few posts later he said...
    I always read it was supposed to be by weight too. Not that I've done any alloying myself or anything.

Jeff

10. OCD

OCD Silver

Zap,
    Check on line with Budget Casting.
    They have 15# ish ingots shipped for right at $6/lb.

The larger ingots are higher priced per pound.
    Go Figure.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Zap.. DO NOT RISK your work with some BS homemade bronze. Practice on something else. I saw your multi colored jewelry box and felt bad for you.

12. DavidF

Still attaching the wings to it :rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

13. Jason

Jason Gold

oh god........:rolleyes:

14. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Can you give reference for that, because that is not how I was taught... I'll admit the process is a little confusing if not working in virgin material. But I will post my data in a fresh post
    V/r HT1

15. DavidF

Go back to post #10 ;)

16. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_copper_alloys

This lists about any copper alloys you may want. Percentages by weight. Aluminum Bronze isn't the best for casting but can be done. If you want to alloy copper with Aluminum, melt the aluminum first and the copper will dissolve in the molten Al. I did a 50/50 mix of Al and Cu, it shattered like glass.

17. OCD

OCD Silver

When I was playing around with it I had a mix of approx 18/82 Al / Cu and it was as brittle as could be.

18. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

It's best to start with a heel of the alloy you want to make and then slowly add the percentages of the elements, stir well and take it over the pour temp. Pour it into ingots and remelt the ingots for your project. This should help avoid two tone castings. Although, I did like Zapins jewelry box.

19. Rasper

Rasper Silver

I don't know what people do wrong when they are alloying Everdur, but it is drop dead simple. I don't see how it can be fucked up. Melt a heel of Everdur. Add copper wire and push it under the melt immediately, add the silicon and manganese and stir them in gently, but deeply. Keep it in the furnace for maybe five minutes more. Add a tablespoon of borax to the center of the dross. Stir it a little. Skim and pour into ingots.

You have to give the silicon time to alloy with the copper. You can't just add it and pour.

The only time I use borax flux is when I am alloying. The copper oxidizes some before I add the silicon.

I like to add some beer bottle glass to the melt when I am melting ingots for a casting. It not only protects the metal from the atmosphere, it also gathers up the trash and the dross so that it comes out in a lump. I don't use it when I am alloying because it gets in the way of adding the various components to the melt and makes it hard to push them under the surface.

Richard

Tobho Mott likes this.
  20. Robert

Robert Silver

I got those instructions from Richard and used them successfully. The silicon should be finely crushed is it is not already.
    Robert