Bronze Anchor

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

My family is fortunate that when it comes to needing something, it doen't require a holiday to get it. So at Christmas time, we draw names for each other and only shop for that one person. This year, we decided to mix it up a bit. We drew names out of a hat as usual, but you must MAKE something for the person you got from the hat. You cannot buy something. It can be something as simple as making cookies. Well, I have a niece that was especially close to my father before he died in 2012 and she has an appreciation like he did for all things nautical. So I decided to stick the lanterns on the back burner for the moment and make my niece an anchor. It will naturally be cast in bronze using the ceramic shell method. I am not making a silicone mold so once again, failure is not an option. This thing is about 8inches and I think this should be pretty easy. Here is a quick shot after a couple hours of putzing with it. I'd like to get in shell this week, I'll try. Not sure about the scale yet. Google kinda sucked for images of anchors.

IMG_20171105_3200.jpg

Inspiration clips.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. OCD

OCD Silver

Your slacking!

Suppose to have a link chain. :rolleyes: :p

Getter done.

3. OCD

OCD Silver

And it’s also suppose to be in a treasure chest with gold and silver medallions (coins).

Fricken amateurs. :cool: :D

4. Jason

Jason Gold

I could do a chain, but just getting a rope on it will be bad enough in the short time I have.

5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

What a fine idea.

Suggestion: her initial at the intersection of the shank and crossbar---first on front last on back??? Or maybe a heart??? Please forgive my intrusion into your art work.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

No intrusion at all. That's why we post this stuff. I like the idea. I'll see what it looks like with a heart.

7. OCD

OCD Silver

JASON,

Your related!!! :rolleyes:

No feb footed kids. :eek:

8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's gonna be really cool!

Looks a bit like it is trying to sit up and run away. :D

Jeff

9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looking good... what are you going to pour it in??

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Is that a trick question? I've run out of platinum so I guess I'll use bronze? lmao

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Well If you want to slum it, that up to you....

12. Jason

Jason Gold

time for sprue.... and in typical Jason fashion, I went ape shit with them. Remember no mold. Any one see any issues? I need a lesson in fluid dynamics I guess.

IMG_20171110_12239.jpg

IMG_20171110_11840.jpg

IMG_20171110_1238.jpg

IMG_20171110_11656.jpg

IMG_20171110_11479.jpg

IMG_20171110_11280.jpg

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

The yellow sprues should slope down the other way. So the metal doesn't pour into them from the top down. The main sprue should fill with metal first and the back pressure fills the smaller yellow sprues from the bottom up.

The way you have it metal from the initial pour will feed directly into the part from the initial pour.

I know some people in casting don't like this because it causes turbulence and defeats the purpose of a J sprue and bottom feeding.

It will probably work in Silicon bronze because you can almost do no wrong with the commercial stuff. But is not the best form for pickier metals since it might leave you with turbulence related defects.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  14. OCD

OCD Silver

Just add a couple relief vents Jason and pour it at a 45* angle.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

A little late on this one gang. It has 4 layers on it already and getting the 5th now! I was thinking about getting the wax to drain when this thing is inverted as I stuck the yellow wax on. Oh well. Fingers crossed. The new book I got from mike kinda goes into this a little. Not much, I wish there was a decent guide on this stuff. Trial and error I suppose.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

I decided to add some vent holes to this one. I'll patch them before the pour. Trying to get this thing in metal this week...
    Anchorvent1.jpg Anchorvent2.jpg
    Anchorsealcoat.jpg

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ya looks good. I'm betting it casts fine. If not you always have your tig to rescue it.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

DEWAX!!! Good times. And a snazzy video too! Warning myfordboy... It's got tunes.
    When I'm finished, I'll snip together some footage into one little show.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  19. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

The music was kinda relaxing. Looking good Jason.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks man. I tried not to scorch the living hell out of it this time and only got one tiny crack. I read on the R&R site that during dewax, direct flame impingement is not a good idea or over heating also screws up the shell. SO I took it easy and it paid off. I'm patching the holes and the one fine crack. I should get to pour this before thanksgiving.