Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

What is the thickness of the material that you are hoping to bend?

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Probably sheet steel for full length pieces. Maybe up to 1/4" or thereabouts at max for smaller sections of metal.

3. OMM

OMM Silver

Here is a quick down and dirty V strike For 1/4” material. You will have to watch your hydraulic pressure as the top coining radius will set the metal less than 90°. This will change with wider metal and thicker metal or slightly thinner. The top coining radius is usually about 10% smaller than the medium radius which is about the centre of the steel. If you don't have enough tonnage to set the proper coin you can sharpen the top punch two less than 0.056 radius. But, the sharper the coin the weaker the bend will be.
    7018015E-DA13-4A0E-BAEB-6EAF946C4F05.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

So the blade needs to be cut to 80 degrees?

5. OMM

OMM Silver

It does not need to be cut to 80°. But it does need to be cut to less than 90°. The coining radius will sweep it to a 90° corner as long as the top punch has been relieved enough below 90° to prevent spring back. You could even cut it to 70 or 75°. But this makes a sharper blade. you want to keep your nose radius on your top punch to no less than 0.056 inches and less you run out of tonnage.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Does the blade need to be hardened or will hot rolled steel work ok?

7. OMM

OMM Silver

Hot rolled will work just fine for maybe 10-100 hits. It is the top punch that will take the punishment when your tonnage is running out.

The top punch and bottom die if they're wider than 10 inches you'll run out of tonnage. Something like this I would run in 100 ton press, With lubrication for both top and bottom punches with top punch hardened for 100 hits, quarter inch thick an 1 foot wide.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

How THICK of metal do you think you would like to bend?

9. OMM

OMM Silver

Quarter inch I think. That's what I was working off of.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

THAT thing will put a 90 in a piece of 1/4" steel? FK! Sign me up for one of these!!!!!!!!

11. OMM

OMM Silver

It will do it no problem for 6 inch wide plate. for 12 inch wide plate 20 tons is going to struggle.

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

6inches is still impressive for 1/4" steel.

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

These are the specs that swag offroad quoted on their bending break for the harbor freight 20 ton press.

• 19" = Full bending width of the bottom die on anything 3/16" or thinner.
    • 15" in 1/4"
    • 13" in 5/16"
    • 11" in 3/8"
    • 6" in 1/2"
    • 3" in 5/8"
    Any idea where I can get a hardox or chromoly piece of steel approx 1 inch by 1inch from? I would like to weld it onto the tip of the 1" mild steel plate I have to increase the wear resistance and durability.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

I REALLY wanna see that thing bend 1/2" stock! I gotta raise the BS flag on that one!

15. *** Note: 1/2" sheet steel must be glowing red hot when bending.

16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I stopped by a metal fab shop they make their own bending brake blades. The owner said they just use mild steel and it lasts a long time. Can be resharpened as needed. So I'll just stick with the steel plate I have.

I may try using a tool steel tig rod to weld on a surface coating of tool steel at a later point to toughen it up if it seems to be taking a beating.

Half inch does seem a bit optimistic.

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Made more progress on the bender.

Drilling holes through so much metal was very time consuming.

The 2 poles that the system slides up on are a hair too snug, so I'll see if I can sand them down a smidge to ensure a better fit.

Tomorrow I'll work on the blade. The metal shop owner said any angle between 60 and 90 degrees for the edge should be fine.

Also got a 1.25" thick steel plate plasma cut out for me to act as a sturdy base for it all to rest on.

I need to make or buy springs to push it apart.

20201023_211717.jpg 20201023_211755.jpg 20201023_212430.jpg 20201023_212354.jpg 20201023_212452.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    OMM, Jason and Tobho Mott like this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks like a torture device! I approve!

19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ha. Indeed.

I added blade spacers and threaded and tapped some set screws in to hold the blade in place. I'm working on cutting out the blade now. The angle on the edge is going to be difficult but I'll try my best.

Also I'm officially a man now, I broke my first tap...

20201024_230939.jpg 20201024_231000.jpg 20201024_231018.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  20. OMM

OMM Silver

Holy jumping. I can give you three different ways to remove a broken tap easy. Two out of the three would be using milling machine. The other one would be sink or wire EDM.