Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'd like one of those horizontal saws. Its on my lookout list at yard sales and estate sales.

My neighbors dog is annoying. But the owners also seem to be a bit uncaring for it. It stays tethered to a tree and has worn a 10 ft diameter circle in the earth. It has no toys and is never taken off the tether or taken for walks. So its hardly surprising that it barks at things as that is all it can do.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

People that do that to dogs piss me off. As soon as the temp is in the 20's. Let the cops take care of it. In west texas, they get after owners that leave dogs outside when it's below freezing.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Its been out all winter. Even in the rain. They only recently got it a kennel for most if the winter it slept in the rain.

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I should point out that was just a turn of phrase I heard years ago for killing time, I don't go around kicking dogs! Although my current low life neighbours could do with a slap.

Horizontal band saws are great things to have if you have the floor space.

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

If you buy a decent one at the right price you will never ever be sorry.

I rented a house in the woods once for a couple years, and a dog came with the place. Lilly, a mature black lab, never left the half-acre property. No restraint whatsoever. She just wouldn't leave. She was amiable, waggy, good with the kids, didn't bark to speak of, and wanted only to play fetch. I just fed her which was no trouble. One thing about her though was that she wouldn't come in the house under any circumstances. No lure, bait, or trick could get her to come in. (Nor would she get into a car so the vet would have to come to give vaccinations, etc). But she did have a fairly large doghouse with straw in it. I installed a porch-type light in the inner sanctum to at least take the edge off the coldest weather. I figured just because she was stubborn, that didn't mean I had to let her totally suffer. After I moved, the guy who bought the place had her for a couple more years till she died. I could never understand the idea of an outside dog. Mine live on the davenport.

Pete

6. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I had a neighbour that kept a 'gun dog' spaniel, trouble was he rarely went shooting but insisted the dog was not a pet and had to stay outside in a small enclosure. I'm not particularly a dog person but thought it a little cruel.

I've enough trouble with our cross/mix ragdoll furball cat! Aparantly as I get up early most days I have to get up the same time each day!

The horizontal bandsaws are great when set up right, I've no idea why we don't have one at my workplace.

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I figured you didn't Peedee.

Yeah its pretty strange to me to see dogs outside like that. Especially in subzero temperatures. Ticks me off as well because they have a small little fee fee dog that they keep inside the house but the german Sheppard they chain to the tree like a prisoner. We've offered to take it for walks with our 2 German Sheppards and their reply was "no, he will be staying here." I don't know them too well but something doesn't seem 100% with them upstairs.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup. I'd make the call when its below freezing. My cat is strictly outside, but he gets a heated house and 3meals a day. A dog does not belong chained to a tree. It would be better off with a different owner.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I agree seems like a crap life.

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

So I made a small sliding draw for under my work bench today. Will install it tomorrow.

I'm going to out power tools and screws and bolts in it I think.
    20210317_222438.jpg

DavidF likes this.
  11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Bought wood for garden boxes. Rough sawn 2x4x8 ft actual dimensions. Gonna make boxes this weekend Sunday and get soil delivery next week and following weeks.
    20210318_205141.jpg

DavidF likes this.
  12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Finished installing my drawer under the work bench. I installed it back under table about 7 inches so my knees have space while I'm sitting at the table. I'll scrounge up a handle and slap it on tomorrow. Maybe now I'll be able to clean up my work bench...

20210318_213612.jpg 20210318_213629.jpg

13. Jason

Jason Gold

14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I've done that twice >.< unfortunate. Maybe I'll make one out of scrap.

15. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Look what I see ;)
    Screenshot_20210318-234310_Gallery.jpg

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks like an electric die grinder...

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

At work I splashed out on a cheap mechanics tool chest and drawers because my bench as so bad, I now have a tool chest full of crap and bench full of crap...

'Don't be like Paul' :)

Nice job on the drawer

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha. I'll try Paul but I think its inevitable.

Yep its a die grinder. But I need to get 1/4" shank bits for it. Haven't been able to use it yet.

Clay likes this.
  19. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Looks like my bench too.

20. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Looks better than my bench, you can at least see yours.