Chunk Jewel Lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Man that glass has such a nice color. I really like it.

I have high hopes for this batch!

At some point when you have figured out the forgotten dark art of glass casting you should do a write up in a new post with your wisdom for the rest of us plebs who may want to copy you.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Every scumbag I find on youtube that might have half a clue how to do this stuff, wants money for some stupid class or webinar. Some of them are
    absolute jokes knowing what I do now.:mad: I called another investment supplier today and I had to explain to the tech support clown what supposedly
    made their investment so special. When I asked why? No clue. WTF is wrong with people? They must drink battery acid as children these days.:rolleyes:
    Read the first paragraph.. I swear this stuff was made for my issue. But if the clown cant tell me what's different than what I have, they can keep it.
    http://www.zrci.com/material/refractory-sheet-moldable-type-mold-mix-6-2/

Glass investment is nothing more than 1part plaster of paris: 1 part 200mesh silica flour. This ain't rocket science people. When I get this sorted out,
    I'm going to give the glass casting world the biggest rubber cock when I give away the secrets to this shit for FREE....

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Make it a glass cock!

That's good I hate pay to play shit like that. I found that with some jewelry techniques as well. Makes me crazy. As if we are living in the 80s and pay for movies on how to learn something.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

This is the net. Land of the FREE information. I've never seen a group of people so hell bent on NOT sharing this process. Bullseyeglass has ROYALLY pissed me off and they will be called out by name in my next video. I just noticed this mold mix 6 and 7 specifies high strength alumina fibers and alumina powders... Maybe this is the secret? One of them comes in a paste that is applied to the wax. I could build up a few layers, then block the rest with my 50lb box of bandust. maybe... I will say mold mix is significantly more expensive than bandust. Then again, so is the thief at shellspen selling repackaged suspendaslurry for bronze. The mold mix even says you can cast bronze in it. Almost makes me think I could run ceramic shell.... nahhh lol.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Case in point. Total lack of knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

7. What is the mold made of?

Edit: Never mind, I was caught by the next page I didn't see, again.:oops:

Glad you're forging the way.:cool:

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Whompwhompwwwahhaaaa... Thankyou for playing the can you get a shine game.
    Shellac coating is BS and I picked up some devitrification this time.o_O Devit can only appear on the air side of a mold so I'm told.
    I'm dumping this investment. Anyone need 49lbs of glass cast? Bought some mold mix 7.
    This is borderline lunacy.

This is devit.
    A20190427_142253.jpg

and this is bullshit! Funny how these glass weenies think this is acceptable? No wonder they piss themselves when they see my bronze casting work. o_O
    They are easily amused. Probably all left wingers.
    20190427_143735.jpg

9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Stupid question, but what would happen if you put them in a rock tumbler with some polishing compound??

10. Jason

Jason Gold

It would polish very slowly and goodbye detail again. I bought the alumina investment and if that doesn't get a usable shine, I'm going to hit you
    up for some polishing advice.

11. DavidF

Mail me one of the pieces, I know you have may address.....:rolleyes:

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Actually I don't. Remember I had someone drop that thing off to you. Pm it and I'll mail you this green on monday. I'm almost outta ideas.
    Thanks pal! (I promise, no sex toys this time)

13. DavidF

Thinking about tumbling in some hexaflourosilicic acid.... Just so happen to have some...

14. Looks GREAT to me!! Very very nice.:)

Maybe I have a future in glass casting. I'm left handed and you said something about them being lefties.:p

Jason likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Andy.. I'm getting close. What looks like dust in that first photo is devit. It's some kind of crystalline growth that occurs during firing.
    Usually caused by firing too slow during a certain period. It either happened on the way up or coming down. Gotta make a phone call on that one.
    The matte finish on the top is the bigger issue. It will cut down on light transmission and I want these things to be the icing on the bronze cake.
    I may not be able to completely cast my way outta this one and cold working is probably inevitable, but I gotta exhaust all options. If Dave's hexaflorstuff
    will do the trick, I might be home free, if not, it could spell a hundred+ hours of sanding.. :eek: I need about a dozen of these glass thingamabobbers.:(

btw, I NEVER saw any devit in the early attempts. The shellac is the only thing changed here! It was completely burned off after the cycle. (thats the brown crap on the investment) SO I seriously doubt it's effectiveness.

16. Don't suppose you used too much shellac?

Is that leaded glass? Or is everything unleaded these days?

I'm enjoying the ride, by the way. My only problem is to keep the cats out of my sand box.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Ha... unleaded... good one. No it's leaded crystal glass specifically for casting. I don't know about coats, but it was completely dry before I fired. I can't really see a shellac coating tolerating 19hrs of heat as high as 1472F. My cat knows to stay outta my garage. Found him lounging on top of my dusty jag one day and I launched him across the yard. Never did that one again.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

I wonder what kind of finish would come out of a graphite molds? My shapes are so simple, I probably could carve it in the negative. hmmm...

1910 Bradley & Hubbard out of Connecticut. Ceased operations in 1940. :(
    6a403767de6b415c54b03934f9f4eff2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Man I really feel like you could polish to a mirror finish in a few minutes using diamond pastes and cerium oxide for the final buffing. I've polished gem stone cabs before which are much harder than glass and they polished very quickly. I think you'd get the finish you want easily. Ebay yourself some polishes, they are cheap.

The devit issue is interesting. Is the glass trashed once it happens or can you remelt and get rid of it and salvage the glass?

20. Jason

Jason Gold

I think the only way to get rid of divit is to grind it out. Remelting it, isn't the solution from what I've read.:oops:

Last edited: May 2, 2019