First furnace, what a good material to use for the floor?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Alexander Madsen, Feb 9, 2020.

1. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Jason, you're stuck in a rut with the castable,he doesn't want to use it.
    But, I totally agree with building too big on your first. A propane tank,wool/Satanite A6 is a great, easy to build, starter furnace.
    With a 3/4" propane burner you'll get 10 to 12 melts out of a 20 pound tank.
    Mine is definitely more efficient than my A10 furnace. Probably because of it's tighter bore.

FYI High Temp Tools has the following guidance on BA as a skim coat for fiber blanket.

Their guidance's are on the dry side when it comes to mixing. I've had better adhesion results with a very soupy mix with the Satanite. Apparently, the same with the BA.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

There was a guy on AA that was having trouble obtaining desired temps in his furnace. The pictures of his build looked great. After about three pages of back and fourth about his burner, he lets it be known that he had 200kgs of dense castable in his build...........needless to say, mystery solved but not the problem.......heating 200kg of dense castable.

It's pretty usual that people start out wanting a one-size-fits-all furnace. Pretty usual that includes "I may want to do iron" so I'll design for that...... and I'd say 90% never do, and it's an unnecessary complication and expense to the first build. I think the best advice is just make the refractory part of furnace easily replaceable, and I don't necessarily mean using a whole bunch of little bricks......just so you don't have remake the metal and lid lifting parts. Rebuilding refractory is a small task, especially in a fiber blanket Satanite type furnace, as is occasional patching/maintenance. Foundry furnaces aren't instruments. They are workhorses, especially an iron duty furnace. They have a hard and more finite life. Even in commercial furnaces refractory is considered expendable though many hobby furnaces may never require replacement.

There is so much more to learn and do to get yourself established in the hobby.....molten metal management, handling tools, PPE, flasks, mold media, molding, pattern making etc. The best advice is start practically, gain experience, and work your way up. My first move was to buy an A60 crucible because I had couple specific projects that required it. This was in 2013 and I posted about it on AA LoL.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?8488-Let-the-games-begin!&highlight=games+begin

There was a several year delay to when I actually got started on building the foundry equipment and though I actually built the equipment to use that A60, I have not used it to this day. I probably have quite a bit more foundry and machine building experience and than the average fellow entering the hobby but I took the advice of AA Forum members and have been developing my equipment, skills, and processes for several years, and have now made many castings up to ~20lb melts and pours. I feel confident I could use the A60 now but if I had started that way, everything would have been much more difficult at that scale........big furnaces, big melts, big crucible handling equipment, big heavy molds, and bigger risk. Even cutting up a big casting to re-melt.....hard! I decided I wasn't just passing through. I took up residency. Glad I went the path I did but that A60's time is coming!

Best,
    Kelly

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I cant even imagine pouring a 60. That's a lot of metal. A small #10 holds a surprisingly amount of bronze. If ya drop a 10, ya call an ambulance. Drop a 60 and you call the morgue. Wheres Jeff to remind us with that grisly photo of what just a couple of drops look like on a foot?:eek:

4. Jason

Jason Gold

You're probably right bonz, but iron? :D

5. It turns out I was wrong about what I thought was a 35+ year old dense castable furnace lining: it did get to 30 odd years in a sorry state with all kinds of slag deposits. It was relined about 5 years ago with some product specifically designed for repairing dense castable: I don't have the product name yet but it's white, comes in a block about 30 cm/12" cubed with the consistency of plasticine and after your lining has the slag chipped off and the surface roughened, this stuff is used to repair the lining. It can't be the usual cement based product as it comes already moistened and once applied, it needs to dry out and be fired to cure it.

That video of my last iron pour: I forgot to put a small refractory puck in the middle of my pouring ring so the pouring ring prevented my crucible lifter from opening without a struggle and a sizable splash of iron came out as I shook the lifter off: third/fourth degree burn stuff for sure.

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I use a plastic-like refractory called blu-ram 3000F which was given to me by a friend. It is much as you describe as it comes pre moistened in slabs but is almost reminiscent of warm asphalt in its form and the way it behaves. It packs down hard and is as tough as any castable I've used once it's fired. It's made to be rammed into place so doing a skim coating wouldn't work to well. It makes great plinths and pucks. I've had the exact same miscue with the crucible ring. It was both frustrating and unnerving.

Pete

7. Thanks for the feedback on the pitfalls of over sizing. I will look into adding another inch of blanket and building up the floor on somthing cheap like sand or perlite. If I decide to expand I can rip out the extra layer and re hot face it.

Perhaps this is crazy talk, but has anyone done removable/installable inserts for quickly resizing to match various crucible sizes.

8. OMM

OMM Silver

I don't think it is crazy talk at all. I have seen some home foundry guys reduce the internal diameter just by setting in well fit light (or low density) IFB’s.

I personally think a huge loss of efficiency comes from design restraints. If we could take the technology of a woodworking cyclones and spiral the flame, in conjunction with the crucible shape, you would have a home run!

9926D2F7-9DEA-4F2D-9DD3-8D2F2701FD0E.jpeg

I personally would rather run 20% more fuel and electricity then a design of this shape.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, THAT would be a royal pain to build. Fuel is cheap, burn it!

10. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Usually you pick the size crucible and fuel you want to use and build around that.
    Propane only requires enough space to burn that equals the space to get your tongs in to retrieve the crucible (1" or so).
    Oil requires about 2" of space.
    The tighter you keep the bore matched to these specs, the more efficient the furnace.
    I bet a Satanite/wool sleeve could be made to be inserted in the bore to accomplish the change over.
    You would probably have to use 1/2" wool to get the 1" difference because it will need to be coated both sides. Satanite once cured is a hard shell.
    Let's theorize you build a cast iron rated, oil burning, BA coated wool furnace. Slide the sleeve in to do Al/Bronze melts with propane.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I think Alex was on the right track back at the start of post#13. The only thing that can't be relatively easily undone or modified is your tuyere height if you choose to change your floor height later, especially if you pour a castable hot face. Even if your bore diameter is a bit larger than needed (at this point) your going to have a furnace that's going to heat up pretty darned quickly. I'm glad I have the extra space down low for oil combustion, and keeping the heat down low can be a bit of a challenge. I'm thinking of adding an oversized disk to my plinth like Mark demonstrated elsewhere to aid in that, but that's another topic. So aside from finalizing your height dimension and tuyere position I wouldn't change a thing. From my experience as soon as I finished my last furnace at 10" bore I immediately wished it was 12.

If you build up your bottom with sand I'd use some kind of binder with it like fireclay so it's not fluid, and then coat it with satanite so it's not eroding and flying around in your furnace. If you don't want to commit to 50# of fireclay, pm me and I'll send you a pound. Satanite coated IFBs will do as plinths for now.
    Picking up a mid sized crucible before finalizing your dimensions is a very good idea. Even if you'll be going bigger later you'll at least have a hands-on visual to make decisions. I started with a #10 budget graphite from Legend and it turned out to be a good choice for a few reasons. Note however that there are no real universal standards among brands and types as regards dimensions or capacities. The ones I'm referring to are spec'ed in kg of copper and don't have a spout. The ones shown in post #19 are spec'ed for brass and are a different shape and dimensions. These are important differences, so know your source and know what they're offering. The lifting/pouring tools you'll spend time and effort building won't be one size fits all, so it matters.

Pete

Jason and Melterskelter like this.
  12. rocco

rocco Silver

I don't think we've seen anything like that here. That sounds like it might be a job for moldable ceramic fiber similar to what Kelly uses for his pouring basin.

13. Al2O3

Isn't that what all tangential Tuyere crucible furnaces already do?......to varying degrees?

It's only 2300F rated.......don't think it would hold up. I built my lid swirler-majiggy to promote swirl but it was really more a test of the limits of vibratory placement of castable refractory. I have no support for whether it is beneficial.

Lid Hot Face.JPG

I hear ya. I'm just as guilty (maybe more) as anyone else when it comes to trying to map and reduce theory to practice. It's a fun intellectual exercise, but all the furnace efficiency discussions sort of remind me of bench racing in my motorsport hobbies. That's when guys post these very impressive dyno sheets but have slower lap times than the fellas that work all aspects of their car and have developed driving skill. If a furnace can do a given melt in 15 minutes instead of 20, does 5 minutes really matter in the greater scheme of casting things?.....it won't make for better castings. Now, being able to achieve the required max temp certainly matters depending upon what you're melting.

........So says the guy whose furnace DavidF calls Battlestar Gallactica. :p

Best,
    Kelly

14. OMM

OMM Silver

Kelly, I love your bace. I think if you could make an adjustable valve. It would be a great set up for LPG or NG. It would be a monster ribbon burner. You might have to add a blower.
    FA4C957E-9454-4F0C-B071-0514EF460640.jpeg

15. Al2O3

That lid and furnace was intended to be NG fueled. We have discussed the idea of flame distribution through the furnace floor like the link below. In principle it could serve as a (pre)combustor like and Ursutz burner if you were operating below the flame propagation speed in the plenum or a fuel air distribution system where velocities fell below FPS as they exit the floor.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...est-of-the-best-burners.775/page-4#post-17244

Furnace Isolated Fire Box.jpg

It would be very easy to try by just casting an annular disc (blue line) that sat on a stepped plinth with whatever diffuser/tuning pattern you wished.....holes, slots, etc. Might have a hard time keeping the annulus in one piece and if so you could cast few segments that sat on the shoulder of the plinth and furnace basin. If you didn't like it, just remove the diffuser and your back to a conventional furnace. I think Mark's disc may approximate that. Some day I'll experiment with it. Right now I just use my big furnace for heat treating with a resistive electric section added to it, but it's destined for NG and big melts.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/furnace-cart-and-lift-build.278/page-3#post-5583

Apologies to the OP for the Hijack.....carry on:rolleyes:

Best,
    Kelly

16. Hi Kelly, my furnace arrangement is pretty similar and creates a toroidal chamber under the plinth with an air gap at the rim that allows the spinning flames to continue to spiral up the furnace unimpeded. I think the extra distance that flames travel in a spiral path increases the dwell time in the furnace so combustion heat has more time inside the chamber. At this point after three runs I still don't know if the results I get are from the cone air nozzle or from the refractory disc, so the next run will have to be without the refractory disc and with a similar charge of iron and with fuel consumption monitored. Assuming the flames still spin round the plinth and aid fuel vapourization and combustion, I'd hope it'll burn less fuel and heat faster.

current furnace.jpg

17. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Mark,

I will be very interested to see if there is a discernible difference in heating of the charge with and without the disc. If it makes a difference it would be good to know and would be a not too difficult a modification to make. Unless the difference is dramatic, it may take 3 to five melts each way to tell for sure.

I do not know what sort of fuel metering you are doing, but I can report that with respect to monitoring fuel flow I am very very happy with the pelton-wheel-style sensor I installed some months ago. I find it to be consistently accurate, sensitive (.01 L/minute increments), and very useful so that I know how much fuel is entering the mix at any given moment in addition to the running total of fuel burned. It helps me get my furnace tuned quickly and consistently from burn to burn. I would hate to be without it. Here is a thread I posted on it a while back.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php? threads/measuring-instantaneous-and-total-fuel-flow-with-a-pelton-sensor-and-digital-readout.811/

I ran it this afternoon at .19L/min and melted 35 pounds to 2600F in 80 minutes from cold start to pour. I find that as little as .02 L/min makes a noticeable difference in efficiency with too little fuel not having enough heating power and too much causing incomplete burning prior to exhaust. Finding that sweet spot is easier for me by far with the meter. If do not know how rapid the fuel flow is, it is hard to know when you hit the sweet spot as it is possible to make the exhaust stream look right by increasing or decreasing the air flow despite the fact that the fuel flow rate may be too little or too much.

Denis

OMM likes this.
  18. Hi Denis, I did read about the sensor with interest, at present all I can do is measure the volume before and after a run. The 8 mist nozzles are run at 50 PSI and a sample nozzle flowed at 3 litres per hour over three hours test at 50 PSI, so currently it can use up to 24 litres per hour and I think last time it was 21 litres for a 62 minute run cold to poured and 32 pounds weight. If I multiply your consumption, that equals 15.2 litres, 80 minutes and 35 pounds so the two furnaces are very roughly comparable as I'm burning fuel with less energy: 8-10% less.

Also apologies for the thread hijack too.

OMM likes this.
  19. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

My apologies as well. I did not mean to compete in any way in the "rapid melt contest." That would be sort of pointless. My intent was to say that the meter helps me run my furnace efficiently and I hope that it might help others as well. And that is it.

It could also serve as a means of keeping one variable constant as comparisons are made between running setups of furnaces---with and without swirl-inducing discs for instance.

Denis

20. OMM

OMM Silver

I agree you guys are hitting very similar numbers. Dennis, are you able to add more air with more fuel? If so or not,.... It might come down to thermal losses.

Have either of you measured the out side temperature of your furnace (outer diameter and lid just) before a pour? Then shut down, And maybe 1/2 and 1 hour afterwards (with the lid closed).

I think this would be interesting information if you have one of those simple laser infrared guns. Your ambient temperature and average wind speed would be helpful.

When I was designing my furnace, I was trying to keep thermal losses in mind like a Canadian home. Living in Canada -40°C to +35°C. Thermal losses create the biggest inefficiency gap. It is better to throw more insulation in your attic then to replace your furnace for a higher efficiency. I will be testing this when I catch up to you guys. For now, i’m just envious!