Fuel tanks and delivery lines

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by OMM, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That is some very nice work OMM! I also need to step up my oil tank game.

You're not going crazy Pat, at least not about this... I've noticed J. Vibert's absence here and on AA for some time now too. Hopefully things are going well for him and his up there in (I think it was) Barrie.

Jeff

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

The tank looks great. I'm glad you had success with the pressure testing. As it gets colder I'm sure you'll see a change in fuel flow performance. (I'm pretty sure you're using your blower for tank pressure?). Especially with thicker fuels. A compressor in cold weather will move the oil ok, but if it's stored at room temperature the point is probably moot. Diesel or kero will probably be fine regardless. I was able to get WMO to flow at 2.5 gal/hr through my Delevan nozzle with about 25psi at around 30F ambient in some testing I did last winter. My shop is not heated so Mother Nature controls the thermostat. Sand temperature is the real limiting factor for me in the winter.
    By the way if you're pouring metal at -22F you got problems other than fuel flow! LOL.

Pete

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I've poured Aluminum at -5F but..... (see below). Clearly, the lower end of that range will affect fuel behavior. The viscosities of waste oils will dramatically increase affecting flow, especially in drip burners. Atomization also likely affected at extremes. A dipstick heater might be a good addition to your fuel reservoir for cold weather. Or simply keep it inside and wrap in an insulating blanket for use. Transfer lines will still lose heat but at least you have some flow through them. Without winter additives, diesel will start to gel at 10-15F but with, probably not much of a concern until the bottom of your scale.

It's much easier to freeze a propane tank with pressure drop from high fuel consumption rates at the lower end of your scale.

As mentioned above, a cold mold will generally require higher pour temps. With wind added to the mix, I found the thin stream of molten metal from the crucible was dramatically affected.

If you're pouring aluminum from a fuel fired furnace the amount of humidity available from combustion air, and thus solubility of hydrogen in the melt, can vary dramatically with temperature and since you are flowing high rates of combustion air through the furnace, this is unavoidable accept with the added complication of crucible cap and inert gas atmosphere. I use a resistive electric furnace which is well sealed for aluminum so much less so a concern in that instance.

Frost forming on an ingot tray or tool is a greater risk for steam pops.

-Choose your days to pour accordingly.

In the Winter, I store all materials and prep molds in a heated shop. I wheel them outside shortly before the pour so pouring through cold ambient air is the only need for compensation. If it's not windy, it's really not a factor.

In most cases I wheel my resistive electric furnace outside for the melt. In more extreme cold and small melts (<10lbs Al) I'll use clean metal and melt inside and just raise/close the garage door to pour. I'm a lost foam caster so an indoor pour isn't a consideration.

-Your results may vary!

Best,
    Kelly

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Too bad he stopped. The other guy with the massive steel worktable (cant remember his handle) dropped off at the same time. They both brought alot to the party.

Pete

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That would be r4z0r7o3, aka Razor Toe. Hasn't posted at AA for a year.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Kelly beat me to it while I was switching back and forth between letters and numbers keyboards on my phone. His furnace build was going to be pretty epic... Maybe they'll both come back - wouldn't be the longest disappearing acts we've seen.

Jeff

7. Jason

Jason Gold

I can't remember and cant get the member list here to work. (it's seems crappy to me) But did they make it here from the AA exodus?

8. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Vibert is here.
    Not sure about the other guy.

9. OMM

OMM Silver

Yes I do know Jarrett and I have seen he has made posts here before.

10. OMM

OMM Silver

Well, today I found this little beauty on Kijiji. I just couldn’t resist. It is three phase, which is what I wanted. I’m going to throw a VFD on it.

I am going to first use this for transferring the vegetable oil when I filter it. I might even use it for pumping it into the furnace.

It is 1/3 hp.

DD9BDF38-1217-4BE5-9249-AD30CD1522AC.jpeg

Jason and joe yard like this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

I can think of a hundred uses for that thing. What'd ya pay for that?

12. OMM

OMM Silver

$100 CAD or $73 USD

Jason likes this.
  13. OMM

OMM Silver

For the last few days I've spent probably a couple hours on trying to figure out the little oil pump I got.... Very little information on the web. The information I got was... take it apart and measure it. So, I did.

This little pump will free flow almost 12 L per minute at 1800rpm.
    http://www.dynamicfc.com/ToolCenter.html

It does have a bypass overpressure internal regulator. I'm not sure what this is set at. But there is a preset spring.

I now know the flow direction and the RPM of the motor somewhat required.

It's now game on making this small pump as a delivery for the furnace for the WVO. This type of pump is almost be metered by rpm. Using a Vfd, I should be able to control the metering of oil flow. I should be able to control the metering of oil flow.

I have reassembled the pump. But based off the website… This is what I've got. It might look like Spanish to some...

IMG_3776.jpg