Going waste oil at last, with a kwiky burner.

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Patrick-C, Feb 13, 2021.

1. dennis

dennis Silver

Frigget -> Frigate, a type of ship. Early H-F advertisements showed a ship. hf_old_add.jpeg.jpg

The ad in question shows the "frigates" in the bottom corner.

Harrob is an anagram(?) for Harbor.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

ok, we could just call it the harborfckit?

Screenshot_20210215-130451_Samsung Internet.jpg

dennis likes this.
  3. dennis

dennis Silver

News to me. I seldom look at the Urban Dictionary, however.

4. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Wow! Harbor freight sure earned a few names for itself! Ok so I soldered the necessary pieces together, and I assembled the most important parts (using the ball valve, for testing). With the minimal assembly I ran some oil through it from three feet up, and I was getting a pretty nice spray. But... When I put a torch to the oil it didn't light. Am I missing something here? I had my eighty gallon air compressor set at twenty psi.
    Patrick

P.s. I also tried it in my super hot shop stove, and it didn't work there either.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

yup. you are missing something. It will burn straight diesel outside the furnace but will not burn oil the same way. You will start your furnace on diesel, propane or whatever and after 10mins, you'll be able to make the switch to 100% oil.

My melts are short as in under an hr so that's why I ditched the oil and only run jet fuel. If I needed to run it for hours on end, used oil would be the best.

The oil will burn once you spray it into a really hot chamber.

Patrick-C likes this.
  6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Try it with diesel or kerosene. Grab a gallon from the gas station for a few bucks just for testing. That's essentially what jason is using I think. Waste oil will be much harder to light in open air. I preheat my furnace with diesel before switching over to WMO and the furnace has to be way hotter than your stove is in order to sustain a flame.
    Edit. Jason beat me to it.
    Pete

Jason and Patrick-C like this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

I dont think iver heard of someone getting a burner to run on straight oil outside a furnace. Just not happening.

Yes, jet fuel is like a cousin to kerosene with diesel being more like the STINKY red headed step child.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  8. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Well I tried diesel (I did't have to run to town though). Worked like a charm! As far as I am concerned. I know there is going to be some tweaking in the feature, but I like the results after so little work.
    P1000726.JPG
    This is the minimal assembly.
    P1000727.JPG
    Notice that blue hose for the fuel input, well that is a scrap piece of my air hose. I do not know what it is called but as soon as I find out I will tell you. I must admit you probably won't find air hose that really tops this stuff for durability. Though it is a bit wiry so it is hard to wind up.

And it burns diesel!
    Screenshot from 2021-02-15 15-28-37.png
    I am making progress!:) I found those needle valves on the McCaster Carr website. And I will order them tonight at $28 apiece. Expensive but I will save propane so who's complaining?
    Patrick

Attached Files:

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  9. rocco

rocco Silver

Jet A1, diesel, kerosene and No 2 fuel oil are all functionally identical at least with respect to how they burn in a foundry furnace.

Patrick-C and Jason like this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Congrats man! Some people haven't been able to get it to run outside a furnace like you have! It will be a winner for sure. As you've seen in my videos, I fire up mine outside the furnace and then stuff it into the hole.

You'll be glad you are buying those needle valves. I tried the 1/4 turn ball valves and only drove myself nuts with them. My neighbor saw it and gave me a couple of super high dollar needle valves from the oil and gas industry.

Patrick-C likes this.
  11. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

I got some photos of my waste oil transfer pump. It is a drill powered gear pump and it is rated to deliver 10 gallons a minute. I got it off of ebay from a guy who makes them in PA.
    I bought and added those brass fitting so I that I will be able to use garden hose for the in/out hoses.
    P1000730.JPG
    There are some pretty sturdy gears in there.
    P1000736.JPG

P1000732.JPG
    Patrick

Attached Files:

12. You really just have to squirt or drip oil into a hot furnace with enough air. It will take care of combustion by itself.

I use a cheap needle valve on my propane and a ball valve for shutoff. I never adjust the needle valve.

I have a spin on oil filter in my used oil line to the burner. Still I have to occasionally open the burner needle valve for oil to flush out wax or whatever. The burner needle valve is a nice one with numbers on the handle, I can pretty much set it by handle position.

I have to question that motor oil does not burn hotter than propane. I have to up my flow rate when burning gasoline even though it is thinner than the oil it does not get as hot. Propane burns about 3,600F under the right conditions where gasoline and oil are about 3,800 and coal is over 3,900. I can melt steel in my coal forge...

They are all hot enough to do the job we are trying to do. It's delivery and air that counts then.

If you're gong after a hot flame burn liquid aluminum with oxygen. It's hotter than acetylene at over 6,900F.

Petee716 and Patrick-C like this.
  13. rocco

rocco Silver

You probably know this already but that's a modified automotive oil pump. If all you use it for is to move fairly clean oil, it should last you forever as it's designed to operate for thousands of hours without any maintenance.

Umm, what would you use for a crucible??

Patrick-C likes this.
  14. I wouldn't do that.:eek:

15. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

I am not yet ready to melt tungsten. It is kind of expensive. Lol
    I honestly don't know.
    I actually didn't know that it was an automotive pump. Thank you for telling me, it is good to know.
    Patrick

16. I think he was referring to my insinuation someone may want to burn aluminum. There are no crucibles wo hold those temperatures.

You would do well to buy a Salamander crucible.

dennis likes this.
  17. dennis

dennis Silver

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  18. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Yeah I'm lining up to order an arsenal of salamander crucibles. The biggest my furnace can take is an A10. That is an okay size right?
    Patrick

dennis likes this.
  19. dennis

dennis Silver

1) is there enough room for the fire? Oil wants more.
    2) is there enough room for the tongs/tools, such that You can do Your business? (Clumsy people - like Me - need more.)
    3) can you handle the pot when it's mostly full of metal?

Jason and Patrick-C like this.
  20. I live a very happy life with an A6 for aluminum, and A6 for brass/bronze/copper, and an A6 for iron. I agree that oil likes space to burn.

Patrick-C likes this.