How dumb is an indoor LPG furnace..?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by J.Vibert, Jan 7, 2018.

1. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

So we're balls deep into winter in my neck of the woods and have been contemplating building a new "ultra" low mass furnace for indoor use. The obvious option is an electrical approach. However I don't have any of the heating element to build with and have pretty much everything for a propane build or natural gas for that matter

What I'm trying to sort out is how intensely do I need to vent the LPG furnace...? Passive hood or something with a blower to pull the output of the furnace to the outside. ...Or, is it just a straight up dump idea...?

The intended space is my garage, and I'd be willing to punch a hole in the outside wall to accommodate the vent, which should double as a fume extractor for a welding bench and spray painting area.

Thoughts...?

2. OCD

OCD Silver

Intensely!!!
    Me think you need to run it outside unless you have a death wish.

Just hug the furnace occasionally to warm up, you’ll be fine.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

My moneys on death wish. Carbon monoxide and CO2 like to sink to the lowest spot as well so even with a vent you'll be breathing that stuff in large quantities. Can't you build a shelter outside to shield you from the wind? Maybe reflect some of that furnace heat back at you?

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Funny... OCD and I were just talking about this. I bought a 30000btu gas heater for my garage. It is arriving this wednesday and the forecast is calling for temps in the 70's:rolleyes:
    CHEAP AS CHIPS! 105bucks free shippingg! Requires NO ELECTRICITY and will run on propane AND NG! Told the wife if we ever lost power and it was cold,we are screwed.
    https://www.houzz.com/product/95577...u-model-mnsd300tba-contemporary-space-heaters

I have a 2 car empire of dirt. Pretty sure 30k btu will be plenty to take the chill off. Not looking to make it 80 in there. If you have NG, it will cost pennies per hr to run this thing.

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

How much melt capacity (and what metal) are you looking for?

Best,
    Kelly

6. Jason

Jason Gold

LMAO... I thought he was cold. Not melting metal INDOORS!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I think the cold weather is starting to get to me... Or it's the dogs next door constantly BARKING.

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Guys are doing it and living to tell about it. Robert has a great thread on AA about 3 pages into his recent threads. Check out Ron Reil's site. It looks like he forges in his parlor. Both appear to have significant investment in their ventillation and used well informed designs and testing. Wargrade did it with oil in a shipping container, but he's disappeared and may be taking a long nap in there for all I know.
    As someone whose dealing with 5F temps and 2 feet of snow everywhere I can certainly see the appeal but now we'd be pouring inside too and that brings concerns of its own.

Pete

8. OCD

OCD Silver

IFI and a good portion of it’s members are living proof LPG forges are operated indoors.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Spaz out when the simplest of questions are asked,
    Ban people for it as well......
    Nope, nothing wrong with them. :rolleyes:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

9. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I've seen a few guys doing some stuff truly "indoors" with just some ventilation, but wasn't sure where the line gets crossed when it comes to burning LPG. Hell my gas stove runs hours at a time with zero venting to the outdoors and no one has taken a dirt nap yet. Is it just a matter of volume..?

I'm not trying to kill myself. Just wondering the practicality...

We just came out of stretch of ~ -35C weather (that's -31f for our American readers). I don't expect much more of that level of deep freeze but it does put things into perspective I think...lol

Good question... Didn't get much passed whether I should do it...lol.

Well, I wouldn't consider going beyond small Aluminium melts. At the most maybe what it takes to fill an A10 crucible. Definitely within the realm of what a simple electric furnace could manage in reasonable time I would think.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  10. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Right now I couldn't, but that definitely is the right course of action moving forward. I have enough space that I could allocate a designated "weather protected dirt" area to keep my outdoorsy stuff in, and utilize as a true "foundry" space.

Maybe one of those cheap half circle drive sheds. Would just need to run power out there for the beer fridge ;)
    HAYBARN3.jpg

11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have considered using my small hard-brick furnace indoors with a propane burner, and just opening the door a bit, but then again I don't have a death wish either.

I think it could be done, but it may get a bit breezy introducing outside air into the shop.
    You only need enough outside air to keep the oxygen level up to breathable levels.

I would definitely use a carbon monoxide detector, or perhaps two.

I knew an engineer one time who went up to the top of a factory that was combusting something, and he got into either a low-oxygen area, or a high-carbon monoxide area and passed out.
    Some of the workers just happened to find him and drag him out before it was too late. He got very lucky.
    But don't count on luck, be sure you have enough fresh outside air.

12. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

OK in the Navy we melted indoors, but our ventilation was awe inspiring, with only the exhaust on you could not open the doors, the supply ventilation had to be turned on to get the doors open or the exhaust turned down, we had 3 exhaust systems, and 2 supplies so we could move air from exactly where we wanted, unless it was cold or humid we would open all the doors and turn the ventilation on full blast... each system could cycle all the air in our space 3 times per minute easily, and it was tested regularly, so with everything running we could vent the space completely in under 10 seconds

V/r HT1

13. OCD

OCD Silver

I wasn’t saying it can’t be done.
    It can be done but with a hefty price tag and once you go there I don’t consider that as backyard foundry hobby metallurgy but commercial/industrial.

Anything can be accomplished as long as you have the cash to fund it.

14. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

My initial reaction even with electric was a little apprehensive. For fuel fired furnaces, carbon monoxide would be the concern but ya-know, every house I have lived in has had a natural gas furnace and hot water heater. Those are vented of course. Other gas fired appliances included stove and dryer. So why couldn't a small LP or NG furnace be similarly vented safely? The volume and temperature of exhaust gas may be a bit different but I would think double walled vent duct would stand a chance of keeping temps down on the inner tube. I would think it just needs to be sized properly on the exhaust side, and a reasonably good seal at the furnace lid, and fresh air source available to easily make up for what you are pushing out. I would think most garages would naturally do the latter and with enough chimney length you might achieve plenty of additional updraft....chimney affect. Ever heard of a fireplace? :rolleyes::)

There might even be a case to be made that a properly vented fuel fired furnace is a better choice than an electric. I use the A10 in my electric 90+% of the time so far. I throw 8kw at it and it's about 30 minutes for the first melt and 15-20 thereafter for a fully charged A10. But here's the thing. I did a whole day's worth of indoor melts (poured outside...lost foam) over the holidays. My shop is 24"x24' well insulated, heated and sealed up pretty tight. There were odors and I had windows open and opened the garage door a number of times. Though it could be vented (like Kiln vents), my electric has no venting at all and who knows what you might cook off some scrap metal? Use any Fluxes?

Just this weekend when I was curing the refractory (which also had odors), I looked under the furnace and noticed a small drip pile of molten metal had formed on the floor after I had it cranked up to over 1600F and higher. It turned out to be lead that was still in the drain hole and maybe between the refractory and the steel skin of the furnace base. There wasn't much of it but the puddle on the floor was about 3" in diameter and 1/2" tall in the center. That was there from a leaky steel crucible when previously melting wheel weights this Summer. I would not have knowingly melted any lead indoors. CO monitors are relatively inexpensive, but what about zinc, or other impurities?

Best,
    Kelly

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Screw venting it. As long as you have blue flames, I wouldn't be too concerned with carbon monoxide. Look at my little junk 100buck heater. NO VENT, built to run INSIDE the house burning propane or NG. Keep the flames blue and you shouldn't take a nap in the ground. (At least this is what I was taught. Your mileage my vary)

Some helpful numbers for this is 24:1 propane to air and 10:1 for NG. This should minimize the risk.

Hey J... Is that your little quonset hut? I like those. Cheap and cheerful. You can throw up one of those in a weekend.

16. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

No I wish... Just something I found through google to illustrate what I was thinking about when I mentioned a shed for protecting the dirt from the elements.

I did a little digging on the cost of those quonset huts and the price isn't very cheap at all. Well at least not what I consider cheap. Found a couple "new/unassembled" that would measure out to ~25x20x13' wehn assembled and the asking is right at $16k, (<-- yes the 'k' denotes a multiple of 1000!). ...and at that price you still don't get the front/back walls....???

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-ot...b-steel-shed-garage-shop-850-sq-ft/1270963997

17. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

I fire my small furnace 80 kbtuh inside the 2 car garage without worrying about ventilation remember that a garage is not air tight and probably leaks 5 to 10 air changes per hour.

a normally insulated house leaks 3 to 4 air changes per hour.

When i am running my tilting furnace on waste oil 500kbtuh I open the garage door and turn on the exhaust fan, the fan is 2000 cfm removing any no problems with Co or Co2. C0 is a fuel and ignites and burns at any temp above 1040. f. as long as the fuel isn't exiting the furnace there is very little Co at the temps that our furnaces run. as long as there is sufficient air to the burner Co isn't an issue. running a car engine inside a garage is more dangerous then our furnaces ever thought of being. Use the same ventilation as you would if you were working on a car engine and you will be safe.

18. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Yes but don't forget about low oxygen.
    I sometimes have to enter confined spaces for work, and you have to sense several things, such as chemicals, carbon monoxide, and low oxygen.
    No oxygen = no life.

19. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have seen photos of two furnaces in the UK that appear to be in sheds/workshops behind the house, and they exhaust their furnace out a hole in the refractory near the top sidewall, with a solid lid with no opening.
    The exhaust goes up a tall stack to above the level of the shed and sometimes up at the house roof line.

So it is definitely done, but I am not sure the flue would stand up to iron melts without doing something special to cool it.

20. PatJ

PatJ Silver

These photos belong to Rob Wilson, not to me.
    Fair use policy for non-profit educational use only?

I think he does have a hole in the lid of his furnace, but it appears to be somewhat small, and he probably blocks it while he is using the furnace?

You still need to introduce both combustion air and ventilation air into the room, and the combustion air would be equal to the output of your blower, in my current case a leaf blower, which by itself is a lot of cold air coming into the room, but it could be done, and is done by some.

Would I do it in my shop?
    Given my southern location in the States and the mild/short winters we have, no, I probably would not do it.
    If I lived in the GWN (great white north) as some do, yes, I would do it, but not tell the wife what I was up to.

normal_P8130077.jpg

normal_P8130079.jpg

normal_P8210086.jpg