How dumb is an indoor LPG furnace..?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by J.Vibert, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

WTF is he heating his anvil? That's a new approach to blacksmithing. Good for keeping heat in thin pieces of metal.

2. Robert

Robert Silver

My setup can be seen here:

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showt...eversing-this-motor/page6&highlight=vent+hood

I used an active blower setup as you can see. Most garages are not too well sealed so I would not be too concerned unless yours is really tight. It is hard to know exactly now much CO your furnace might produce. When cooking it is common to have 4 LPG burners running for hours with no ventilation at all. Then again you hear stories about malfunctioning LPG heaters causing CO poisoning. I would say, go for it with some type of passive chimney. Buy a CO detector (or 2) and run it near your work area as a precaution.

Robert

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's a real nice set up you have there Robert. Well executed and effective.

Best,
    Kelly

Robert likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

5. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

AL203 QUOTE My initial reaction even with electric was a little apprehensive. For fuel fired furnaces, carbon monoxide would be the concern but ya-know, every house I have lived in has had a natural gas furnace and hot water heater. Those are vented of course. Other gas fired appliances included stove and dryer. So why couldn't a small LP or NG furnace be similarly vented safely? The volume and temperature of exhaust gas may be a bit different but I would think double walled vent duct would stand a chance of keeping temps down on the inner tube. I would think it just needs to be sized properly on the exhaust side, and a reasonably good seal at the furnace lid, and fresh air source available to easily make up for what you are pushing out. I would think most garages would naturally do the latter and with enough chimney length you might achieve plenty of additional updraft....chimney affect. Ever heard of a fireplace? :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that vent piping is designed to handle no higher then about 600 F temps, you cant direct our furnaces exhaust at 2000f direct into a vent, even water heaters and furnaces dilute the exhaust stream with room air before venting up the double wall or triple wall pipe. you can vent fairly close to the ventilation fans opening which will dilute the exhaust air stream and cool it down enough. the discharge air temp is a ratio between the volume of fuel air mixture and the exhaust air stream if the exhaust stream is 2000 cfm and the room temp is 75 and the furnace stream is 200cfm the 1/10 ratio of the cfm and the absolute temp ratio is 2460/535 2460 +(535 x 10)=7810/10=781 absolute -460 = 321F discharge out the exhaust fan. I hope that makes since

some how the calcs got cut off when i originally posted this

Art b

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. Al2O3

I'm with ya Art. Clarification: "and a reasonably good seal at the furnace lid", meant between the lid and the furnace not between the lid and the duct so combustion gas only exits furnace vent and not elsewhere. Doesn't matter much if you have a big hood like Robert. Properly vented is what I had in mind as typical in those appliance examples, not trying to attach a metal duct sealed directly to the furnace vent. I think in practice flues naturally eject a lot of make up air and are much lower temp than the combustion gas thus my reference to fireplaces.

J, I bet if you had a 3.5-4" furnace vent positioned 6" or so below a double wall vent with say a 6" inside diameter, you'd probably pull enough room air through with the combustion effluent, along with natural convection in the outer wall providing additional cooling for a passive system. Then you could just roll the furnace out from under the vent to do your business and return it when your cooking. To be sure, you could put an exhaust fan on the stack exit that was large compared to the combustion effluent volumetric flow....the latter of which in any case I would think to be well under 100cfm so most exhaust fans would be quite large compared to that, the vent gas would jus need to be below the operating limit of the fan which could mean fan only not motor in stream. You may want to consider a second hole in the wall to introduce an outside air source very close to the furnace because whatever goes out the stack must come in somewhere and may as well have the cold air come in and go right up the flue and minimize the amount of a couple thousand cfm of cold air entering your shop through everywhere else.

Everyone seems pretty focused on the hazards of combustion byproducts but what about all the other hazards such as other off-gassing, molten metal spills, and fires. That's why I like Robert's set up because he has a contained pit and non-combustible floor and walls around and under his hood. I didn't see if he has a make up air vent near the hood but if so, it would help keep the rest of his shop warmer and make the hood even more effective.

I mentioned odors from indoor melts. Your nose is actually a very sensitive instrument and if there are odors you should ask yourself what they are because they aren't all friendly and some of the unfriendly ones don't even have odor. There's a relationship between the level of odor and the adequacy of your ventilation. The Threshold Limit Value (TLV) for many substances is in the parts per million. When things go as expected that's fine. It's the unexpected that seems to be the problem. This is why I do all my work in a detached shop because whether it's solvents, byproducts of combustion, metal vapor, or fire hazard, although I'd hate to lose my shop, there's a difference between me temporarily putting hazardous levels of substances into the air and/or burning down my shop versus doing the same to my house with my wife and kids in it. Like any hazard analysis, it's probability of occurrence versus consequences of occurrence......just sayin.

Best,
    Kelly

7. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

What a fantastic set up Robert. Waaayy better than what I had envision for myself.

I just remembered that I snagged a squirrel cage blower from an estate auction last year. That would be perfect for this application. I doubt it would keep up to my brute/bouncy castle blower, but there's nothing stopping me from building a propane burner that would run on way less combustion air. Might take a bit to heat up my current furnace (even though it's "low mass" by Pat's perspective ;) ), but just building a burner and fab'ing up a hood vent is more doable than a whole furnace build.

Can't agree more Kelly. I think what gets lost in the conversation is the current use of the variables within my home (or anyone else's) already. I have several appliances that run on NG. Although only one isn't vented to the outside (stove). I don't batt an eye at using a torch within my garage without circulating the air. I don't concern myself with maintaining the condition of my garage floor.

I had an electric furnace swimming around in the back of my mind mainly to avoid the potential open flame of a burner. I didn't give the off gassing of the molten material much thought, and that's a something I believe is greater concern than the other variables. It wouldn't take much to construct a large enough catch try to melt/pour within to remove the hazard of spills out of the equation, or at the minimum make them no worse than a spill outdoors. If I kept my efforts within the realm of aluminium pours and used material I've already made ingot stock with, I think that should keep unknown off gassing hazard risk low.

Something else that keeps this option alive in my mind that I think I mentioned earlier, I'll recant now.... The byproduct of constructing an actively venting "casting area" within my garage, is also using the same location for welding and/or spray painting. I have some HVLP spraying equipment that has been in storage since I left a former employer (who had a hood vent I used to control vapours and over spray). Having a actively vented area would give me back the ability to use that equipment in an controlled environment. Although my garage would be too cold for painting on any level during the winter months. I could also fabracobble a snorkel for collecting grindings and welding whatever.

Ok... I think I've reached the point where I'm just trying to sell the idea to myself...lol. I'll ponder it for a bit and see if I can justify adding this to the ever growing project list.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. Al2O3

I think a multipurpose hooded area is a great idea. I just don't have the space for a permanent one. Just last night I rattle canned some of my furnace parts in my shop. It's the last thing I do before I turn out the lights. Would never do it in the basement shop of my old house but tonight when I return to my shop there will be faint smell of paint. Where ya gonna do that when it's sub zero? One thing I will say is I used to work in a cabinet shop and when the fan was on in the spray booth, it got cold quickly. That thing would suck the doors in and you pump a lot of heat out with them. There are air-air heat exchangers for such but unless you have pre-filters to knock out the vapor overspray, they get crudded up quickly but at home for the odd job or welding hood, should be a problem. If I'm going to do a lot of Winter painting in my shop I have a squirrel cage blower (fan isolated from motor) I put on the back of a big table top cardboard box and exhaust through a 5" flex duct I run out the window.

Best,
    Kelly

9. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I don't think I'd bother attempting to paint in the winter months. At least not with the HVLP rig. Too cold most days to maintain required temps even without venting. My garage space has zero climate control.

It probably sounds frivolous to not use the HVLP gun without a hood vent in the warmer months. However, for me at least..., dust control is a must. Nothing worse than going through the effort to lay down a nice paint job and have it end up with lousy finish because of dust and insects looking to take a bath.

A buddy of mine built a collapsible paint "booth" out of some 2x4's and plastic sheet. Uses a furnace filter on the inlet of a blower and pressurises what's probably better described as a tent. I'd love to one up him ;)

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Ron who used to post on AA recounted a story of knocking an aerosol paint can off the shelf, It split and the home heating furnace caught it. He lost the entire house to the fire. Make of that what you will in this context.

11. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Accidents happen...?

12. Al2O3

Bad luck for sure but luck improves if you don't store solvents and combustibles in the vicinity of ignition sources.

Best,
    K

_Jason likes this.
  13. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Is it not a case of a furnace will consume a fair amount of o2? In an enclosed space that may be bad. What if blower feed is piped from outside?

14. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Well if I went through with setting up a actively vented area, I'd have to also cut in a passive vent to allow make up air from the outside. Although knowing how drafty my garage is I doubt I'd need a make up vent...lol. Regardless, a vent up system would compensate for any burnt up O2 from the burner.

I don't really have much in the way of experience concerning gas based burners. However I really don't think they use much combustion air. At least no where near a drip oil burner would.

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

My point was, be cautious with the materials around an area you might plan to run a furnace. Not meant in a way to question the common sense that prevails here. As far as CO and such, I've had CO poisoning and it hurts (Car exhaust bent through a broken boot floor) I agree with jag a perfect flame should negate the problem, the reason home heating boilers seem to kill people is a stuffed up flue leading to a bad burn. Not sure I would cast 'indoors' in anyway but my shop is attached to the house. (Checks insurance policy....)

16. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

the difference between our furnaces and any other combustion appliance that we are familiar with is that our furnaces exhaust temps are typically at flame temp which is above 2000F all the other appliances have stripped out the heat through some form of heat exchanger and the leaving temp from the appliance is typically under 500F 500 F vented into a 6" pipe from a 4 " flue drops the temp below 400F 2000F vented under the same conditions is still going up the 6" pipe at well over 1000F, in order to get it to work you would need to vent into at least a 10" vent and probably through combustion exhaust fan. to get enough additional air.

17. Al2O3

Art, what volumetric flow of effluent or energy level is that vent sizing based on?

Best,
    Kelly

18. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

The problem is that our furnaces would be considered the firebox in a heating appliance like a furnace or boiler, The BTUH that is still in the exhaust stream of a furnace or boiler is about 20% of the input firing rate, in our furnaces the BTUH in the exhaust stream is close to 90% of the firing rate. if you can vent 20% through 6" flue then it would take a flue 4+times that size to vent the 90% that we have to vent from our furnaces.

Doubling the size of a pipe = a 400% increase in area. So if 6" is required to vent a normal furnace it would take a 10 to 12 " to vent a foundry furnace of the same input firing rate. I hope this helps to see what we are dealing with when are are looking at ventilation requirements.

Art B

19. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

Combustion air requirements are more a product of the BTUH input of the fuel, so if the BTUH of a burner whether it is propane Ng or oil is the same the burner will require the same amount combustion air. The only difference being the amount of air required to vaporize the oil. When the oil is vaporized through a pressure nozzle the combustion air required is the same. If it is vaporized in a system such a s a Hago or Delevan nozzle the amount of compressed air used can be subtracted from the combustion air, as the work required was provided by the air compressor in generating the pressure lost to vaporization, when it is vaporised as in a drip burner, the additional air required is used in generating the heat to vaporize the fuel. but once it is vaporized the secondary combustion air required is the same.

Art B

20. Al2O3

It helps as far as comparing relative vent sizing for input BTU from a HVAC furnaces to a foundry furnaces, but I was hoping you'd actually tie some energy levels to flue size because to me, the numbers in your example of 200cfm of furnace vent gas, and 6" vent duct seems very large for a 50-100kbtu/hr input device. I was thinking the hot (2000F+) vent gas flow rate at for example, the 80kbtu/hr holding furnace you operate inside your garage, would be much less than that like ~15-20cfm. What energy level does 200cfm of foundry furnace vent gas suggest?

J, in any case I'd forget the direct venting approach and similar to Robert's set up, I think the hot set up for a garage is an overhead hood with a couple of doors (maybe just fire barrier drywall) that can hinge out or be set in place perpendicular to the wall, under the edges of the hood when in use, and then fold/be placed back against the wall when not in use so you have a booth under the hood. If your welding table and furnace were on wheels you can just roll them in/out from under the hood. Add a fresh air vent near the bottom of the booth and it will keep the cold air ingress more concentrated in the booth area. You could also reduce the frontal area at the booth with plywood or film curtain, decreasing the booth inlet area to just the width of your welding table top to the top of booth and use it as a spray booth, provided you use a fan with air stream isolated from blower.

For more indoor melts this Winter it does have me thinking that I may make a simple venting system for my electric furnace. Small orifice plate (or maybe none) in the furnace drain hole tee'd to the side of 4" open flex duct with a fan sucking air through the open duct and exhausting to the outdoors. My furnace is sealed up pretty tight and about .8ft3 so you take very little flow from furnace. Hmmm.

Best,
    Kelly