Metal chasing?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Kurtis Kiesel, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Sand blasters? Dremel attachments? Sand paper? What do you find works best for metal chasing and polishing brass?

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Chasing I use a bench grinder with grinding wheel for bronze (not aluminum) to remove rough stuff quickly and then a dremel with a carbide burr for finer stuff. And flap wheels or sanding drums for the dremel. Then a stitched cotton wheel with compound for polishing to a high shine. Or sand blasting with glass beads and patina for a matte finish.

These steps are definitely the least fun part of sculpture and I wish there was an easier way.

Kurtis Kiesel likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

4. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Awesome. Can I start with the sand blaster?

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Absolutely. I run glass beads in mine. It's not too abrasive and let's you see what needs work and a little touchup.

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I did some granite countertop work recently, and I used a variable speed angle grinder, and a set of polishing pads that started with a somewhat coarse grit, perhaps 60, and went all the way to an ultra-fine buff, across perhaps 8 different pads.

Maybe it would also work on metal. They work great on granite.
    These can be had in either wet or dry type.
    http://www.toolocity.com/4-shine-plus-dry-diamond-polishing-pad.aspx

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Holy crap batman! I have found the deal! The other day I went to horrible freight for some small diamond discs... They were out. So I dragged my ass begrudgingly into the homeless depot to buy a dremel disc. 18 friggen dollars for ONE! :eek::mad::mad: I said I dont need it that bad and went home.

Amazon to the rescue. I bought a set of these for chump change and I gotta say, these are a DEAL! I only paid 5bucks for 10discs and 2 arbors. Why the price went up is beyond me, but they are still worth it. https://www.amazon.com/Lukcase-Diam...mm+for+Dremel&qid=1564449442&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Super thin and make shaping bronze a breeze. Wish I had bought more. :rolleyes:
    These are 22mm.
    20190729_200827.jpg

8. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Sure why not, 9$ is lunch these days.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

True! But $5.01 SHIPPED was better. I always do that, I cheap out and then wish I went nuts and doubled up.:oops:

10. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Capture.JPG
    Historically the price seems to fluctuate. I would say wait 7-10 days and it will go back down again.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

What is that? You mean I can save more money if I get one of those fancy price trackers?

12. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

No, you will spend more money.

The tracker can even email you about a price change.

13. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Posts criptus it is called "The Camelizer"

14. Jason

Jason Gold

I got it! Cool ad-on for firefox. Thanks! I bet you are right I'll spend, MORE.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Whatttt. Black magic and witch craft.

I will have to download this...

16. Jason

Jason Gold

I've got the camelizer in full swing now. When this sucker hits my numbers, I'm going to need a 2nd job.