Need a Conveyor

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Apr 23, 2022.

1. That's right, but I'm betting there's some common commercial solution out there using some kind of double sided tape, like maybe that butyl self amalgamating tape that never really dries and cold flows on itself.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/consolidated-alloys-48mm-15m-butyl-double-sided-tape_p1090837

"What's more, it also has excellent weather resistance, aging resistance and good water resistance. To the pasted surface, it features seal, shock absorption, protection, etc. In addition, double sided sealing butyl tape does not contain any solvents, it is not shrink, not emit toxic gases. And convenient construction makes it become a rare waterproof sealing material in the construction. Widely used in foundation engineering roof waterproof, underground facilities waterproof, tunnel, water supply and drainage works and so on."

https://www.butyl-tape.com/butyltape/double-sided-butyl-tape.html

2. Jason

Jason Gold

The preprufe people sell a tape to join their HDPE. It does that same magical thing when concrete hits it and glues itself to the back..

I spoke to Alex FANG (yes, that's his name... probably Fang Fangs lost brother) and he is sending me a free sample. Cost me 90bucks to have UPS pickup my free sample this morning.. :-/
    I wanna see this shit in action. His price, 9bucks a sq meter. He said his stuff is 1.5mm thick. Seems kinda thin to me and I think the american stuff is 5mm thick. Fang says his stuff is really strong. Hope so.

Lets see how much money my neighbors insurance company pays me. Her stupid twit of a 19yr old daughter came flying backwards out their driveway into my daily beater. I even tried to keep her insurance company out of it, I said just buy me a new tail light and we can on with our day. Someone got mouthy with me and now they get to buy me a roll of overpriced water proofing membrane. smh..

I know exactly why this happened. I just bought it a new set of tires. My wife wants me to fix it up, I said no way, as soon as I spend 5cents on this car, the motor will blow. 275k miles.

20230306_180852.jpg

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Need some clarification from the brain trust here... So I now understand how to figure out the buoyant force. I also understand how to figure out the weight of all my parts and pieces.
    If the parts and pieces weigh more than the buoyant force, I shouldn't float. Sounds easy so far.

Then I remember the time I picked up a really fat friend in the swimming pool. I couldn't pick up fat ass Fred on land, but in the pool, I could hold him in my arms. How can I figure out what the difference the buoyant force had on fat Fred? My thinking is, just because the concrete weighs more that the buoyant force, the buoyant force makes my concrete and fat fred effectively weigh less, which means I will need to fat pad my total concrete weight. I don't want to rely on 2 cars being on deck to keep from floating this thing. At some point, I'm sure the decks will be empty.

How is that?

For what it's worth, my rough buoyant force I'm seeing now is 20,000lbs. Granted I don't have a max water level yet, but that number is fat padded.

4. The specific gravity of water is 1, the specific gravity of concrete is about 2.4 so you need 1/2.4 = 0.4167 times the volume of concrete to EQUAL the weight of a given volume of water. So conservatively about half the volume of concrete to the volume of water displaced. Of course you can have a small wall around the edge of the slab and exploit the weight of it especially the amount above the water line. Any weight above the water line is contributing to the total weight but is not displacing any water.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

I understand your last sentence and understand 1cf of water weighs 62lbs and 1cf of concrete is roughly 133lbs. I run the numbers and can easily make it balance. I still don't get how to figure out specifically how much less my fat friend weighs so that I can pick him up due to his buoyancy, My block of water will have the same effect on my concrete and essentially make it weigh less too. I can add more concrete, the question is how much? If I have to pour a 24" slab, I'm out. I'm cool with an 8 or even 12" slab to keep it from floating. Ya see, the guy in Oklahoma told me they were pouring a floor that was 12feet thick for a building that was 45feet under ground. I would think there should be some mathematical way to figure out that weigh loss due to buoyant force.

I'll admit, I mostly slept through math class. I did better in english class, the teacher was a 24yr old hammer!

6. Hi Jason, from what I can google, a human is pretty close to water in density so your floating friend pretty much weighs nothing in water but whatever portion of him that is above the water's surface will be the brunt of the load you are carrying. So for concrete of a density of 2.4 times that of water (according to google) you only need 1/2.4=0.4167 as much depth of concrete as you have depth of water for it to not float. So for 12" of water depth, a slab of concrete 12 x 0.4167 = 5" of cement depth will be the same weight. If you had some thin rigid sides of sheet metal or plastic 7" tall (to get it to 12" same as the water depth) to keep the water off the slab it would not float...barely.

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

ok, I think it's slowly sinking in. lol

I see my buddy from high school lost a bunch of weight. Drugs will usually do that. He was a hell of a nice guy, just got in with the wrong crowd.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Mark's castings likes this.
  8. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

What are your walls going to be? 4" concrete?

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Probably more like 6. I'd still like to not have all concrete walls. I want to stick with the columns running up to the slab and skin the walls in steel. The concrete walls will go up high enough to allow the water table to rise without overflowing. Good news, my China samples come in today! I hope this shit is as good as they claim!

10. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Jason,
    Human Fat is more buoyant than Human muscle. Lean guys have issues with floating, Fat guys don't even if they weigh the same.

Follow Mark's guidance with the maths... You should get it.

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Samples rolled in today. This stuff is tough as nails! It's about 1.5mm thick. The back is just HDPE plastic and the front has a protective film and the adhesive is a little tacky under it.
    Fang said, once the rebar is in place and right before pouring, ya just peel the plastic off. I bet that's a real good time with a bunch of rebar in the way. :-/
    I'll line some little box with this stuff and pour some concrete, I wanna see how well this stuff sticks. He sent 4 pieces and 2 of them have the sand coating on the bottom. I don't know what purpose it would serve.

20230311_011932.jpg

Back
    20230311_011947.jpg

Front
    20230311_011956.jpg

The stuff is pretty stiff, but I can see how it will bend around a corner.

20230311_012012.jpg

Mark's castings likes this.
  12. crazybillybob

I'm sure a little heat from a heat gun (or weed torch on a big job) Would help it make corners.
    Sand might be anti-slip version. That stuff can be slippery when wet.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll give it a week and try to rip it off.

20230313_174416.jpg

20230313_174404.jpg

14. Jason

Jason Gold

So I get a call from MY insurance company today, turns out this bitch filed a claim AGAINST ME for being in the street when SHE came out her driveway and into my car! WTF? My agent said she can sit and spin. I guess right of way means nothing to this dumbass. Who knew it was my fault for not getting out of the way fast enough for her to exit her driveway?

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Well, my insurance company told her to sit and spin and her company gave me 2400bucks for my old POS and I kept the old girl. I beat the dent back out, slapped on some cheap 99dollar ugly ebay jdm tail lights and treated the Jaguar to a new set of rubber. Works for me.

In other news, tonight I noticed something groundbreaking! I've been pumping pretty hard for the last 2 weeks watering my bermuda. Then I saw it! The water level in hole #2 dropped 6inches! I wouldn't exactly say it's been a big dry spell here, because we have had some pretty good rain. My neighbor said maybe the city fixed a water leak. They are doing a lot of city projects in my area so who knows?

The level was staying right around the H mark which was 94" below finished concrete height. Now it's back down at 100" I'll still have to deal with water proofing, but I'll count this as a win!

20230416_191317.jpg 20230416_191334.jpg

16. Holy crap! imagine it was something as simple as a leaking water main. Glad to hear the car problem was sorted in your favour.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Hard to say what's causing it to drop. I just hope the trend continues. I think the really deep pumping hole is going to stay as it is and will remain the low point for construction. I never had a fluoride test done. I probably should do that. I've given the HDPE membrane now a month to setup on my samples and will rip them off very soon.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

3M can eat their overpriced hearts out! I am happy to report, this stuff stuck to the concrete like a MFKR!
    Even the sand version is pretty impressive. Sorry it's so long and kinda boring, shit happens.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

If anyone is interested, the stuff I found here in the states is called Prepruffe or something like that, $85 per sq meter! Oriental Yuhong gets 9bucks a sq meter! Now if I can get OY to maybe throw me a roll, that would be shit! I told them I want T-shirts and hats and I'll keep pushing their magical stuff.

20. crazybillybob

Jason,
    Have you cleaned your hole yet!?! It feels like you've be poking it for a year now. :oops::rolleyes:

Really just wanted to make sure you didn't fall in it and the wife had the concrete guys just cover you up.