Octopus sculpture

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, Dec 18, 2018.

1. I am major impressed by your tentacle.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I get told that all the time by the wife!

3. Nobody has ever said that to me.:(

I have to settle for "WOW! An elephant trunk!!"

Just my lot in life.

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

All floppy huh? must suck to get old.:D:p:(

oldironfarmer likes this.
  5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

so much for keeping things "G" rated...:rolleyes:

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Have you visited an elementary school lately? Even I learned a few new ones from the little booger hookers!

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

2nd tentacle in place. I'll tidy it up tomorrow.

The 3rd one is ready to bend and put in place.

20190521_050924.jpg

8. Looks great!...and here I was, holding back from any "Rhymes with pentacle rex" jokes.

9. Are you thinking about removing the "G" string?

Kind of sad all those suckers are against the dowels.

10. You've never seen an elephant use it's trunk to squirt, I assume.

Jason likes this.
  11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Its very realistic looking.

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I forgot I only have 15 inches radius from the center of the hub (30 ID) to work with so I will have to readjust the vertical tentacle. Which sucks to do if it's not warm. Really could use a warming box. It's definitely on my short list of machines I need to make.

Do you think a car battery charger could power kanthal wiring? Mine has 2 settings 6v@6amp or 12v@6amp. I'd only be warming it to about 100 to 110F

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Sure it would. Ya just gotta screw with the length of the wire to set the amount of heat ya want. 100watt light bulb in a tin foiled line cardboard box would work too without the bs. Ya need warm, not hot.

14. My hot wire cutter runs off a 12v battery charger. I put a 110v light dimmer switch in series and use it to adjust the temperature. Mine is NiChrome but not that much different than Kanthal.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

$149 bucks for a comfy warm towel? Gotta be made in China. That thing is kinda nice for just warming wax, clay and other stuff. The 35buck amazon controller
    looks like a slick setup. Plug and go. Get one of those ceramic lizard heaters and install it in a box. Then mail me the hundo. :D

God our ADDICTION to cheap chinese products is unquenchable.:( Sad really. At least, WE, meaning every Tom, Dick & Harry here on this forum PRODUCE something tangible when we are finished.;) That's more than can be said for the sjw jokers on reddit.

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

How big a box do you need and what sort of temp range? I'm not familiar with wax other than it sticks to your fingers if you play with candles!

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

A decent size box would be great. 2 ft by 1 by 1 ish would be nice. The wax I have melts around 120 F or was it 140F? So having a temperature range to go from 50 to 180f would be nice.

I saw a towel warmer like that on Facebook marketplace for 60 which is why I ask.

America produces the world's finest 'consumers' though.

19. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Use a hair drier and just monitor the box temperature while it soaks. At worst you may need to drape a blanket over the box for insulation but doubt it.

Best,
    K

20. I can see why a $1.95 dimmer switch would be a little over the top. With a resistor load it gives repeatable results.